U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,744,534 times

Advertisements

I moved from West Virginia to Michigan when I was 16, and was shocked to discover that I had an accent. I lost it over the years, since I've lived in Michigan and now Philadelphia for most of my life. But if I moved back, it would only take a short time for it to return. Warshington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 AM

832 posts, read 1,377,527 times
I am having troubles with the regional accent... When I lived and worked in Louisville, I didn't really notice a change in my accent, but not long after I started working in Southern Indiana "twangy" sounds have been coming out of my mouth. Now it seems like my accent is "half and half"--I have no idea when I'm going to sound "Chicago" or "near-south." And then when I need to explain something or recite something I sound like a foreigner; I have trouble getting the words out of my mouth and I stumble over vowels and certain consonant blends. I think hearing the different accents (from family, husband and coworkers) is confusing me.

BTW I like the "y'all" and I say it often.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,016,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
you're making this up
Nope, not at all. Not only did he sound like a rebel, but his parents did too. All of their accents changed.

Quote:
small town of Raleigh or Charlotte? My sister lives in Raleigh, in fact I'm in Raleigh right now visiting (population 403,892 in 2010), and its actually surprising how seldom I'm hearing Southern accents around the Raleigh-Durham area. Now go over a county or two and its a different story.

as for the not so clever small town pot shot, try again
They moved to NC about 15 yrs ago. Yes, they were small back then and still are to me.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Nope, not at all. Not only did he sound like a rebel, but his parents did too. All of their accents changed.

They moved to NC about 15 yrs ago. Yes, they were small back then and still are to me.
Right anywhere that isn't Gotham is a small hillbilly town, what an enlightened point of view.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,016,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Right anywhere that isn't Gotham is a small hillbilly town, what an enlightened point of view.
I never stated anything about Gotham, we don't have to agree. Everyone has their opinion.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,132,870 times
My sister grew up in MN, and developed a MN accent.....
then she went to college in CA, and developed a "Valley Girl" accent.....
then she studied abroad in Cork, Ireland, and came back with an Irish accent.....

I swear, if she went to China she'd come back with a Chinese accent!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 PM

105 posts, read 247,864 times
Interesting stories, keep 'em coming!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:56 PM

146 posts, read 235,132 times
I hope this NEVER happens to me.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,109,988 times
my accent changed, just from moving to a small farm town in SC, to a bigger, transplant-dominated tourist town in NC. It is only 3 hours away, but the accents are dramatically different.

i go home now, and my friends seem to talk so slowly, and with such a strong accent. Here, everyone is from Philly or Connecticut or Long Island, and "locals" are rare. People move south and generally lose their northern accents, but they still talk very fast.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
I had an upstate NY accent. Of course, you can't hear it yourself because you don't know different, but, when I moved around people would tell me. But since I've been in Arizona, it's "flattened"--kinda there, but not much. Or people say, "You have an accent, but from where"? I've even been accused, ha, of being a native Arizonian. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or