U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 03:36 PM

22,347 posts, read 32,264,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Also in suburban you will see shopping centers with big box stores like Costco, Home Depot, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, OSH, Lowe's, BJ's Wholesale, Sam's Club, enclosed malls, and lifestyle centers with the usually clothing department stores.

Also in rural you will start seeing Wal-Mart and Home Depots. My rural town though has a Trader Joes, but I would say its in a more low density suburban area.

Urban stores would be like organic markets like Whole Foods and Trader Joes. High-end clothing stores like American Apparel, Urban Outfitters, Banana Republic, Chanel, etc, and also sometimes high-end department stores are also found in urban areas. Example is downtown San Francisco with Union Square or Westwood Village in LA which has Urban Outfitters and Whole Foods.

All though very poor downtowns sometimes have complete opposites. I know a run-down downtown with a mall that has low-income shops and the most ghetto Macy's and Sear's.

Some poor downtowns then sometimes have a lack of businesses of any type.

I think a majority of America lives in the suburban and then another percentage lives in urban downtowns and in urban areas of cities. And a very few amount live in rural.
This is very confusing how are DT SF and Westlake Village both considered urban. The Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area is about as suburban an area as I can think of...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,918,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This is very confusing how are DT SF and Westlake Village both considered urban. The Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area is about as suburban an area as I can think of...
Westwood Village is not Westlake Village.....Westwood is where UCLA is.

Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM

1,610 posts, read 746,170 times
I consider myself to have basically lived in an urban/suburban bubble my whole life. I went to college in a small town, but although I made some minor efforts to integrate with the community, that kind of environment is just not representative of small-town America.

These are the aspects of rural culture that, over the years, I've realized I had the most distorted misconceptions of and the least information about.

- Guns and gun culture. Everything from the mechanics of firearms to the surprising number of rural liberals and moderates who hunt. They're just not seen as a threat out in the country because gangs aren't a thing, and there's plenty of open space to shoot and a shortage of other things to do. For my part, I've never even touched a gun.

- Population decline and economic despair. Growing up, I always assumed people growing up in cities were more likely to leave their hometowns, because they were surrounded by people from other places and international culture and that would make them curious about leaving - and that family and community ties in small towns would discourage people from leaving. Nope. Most kids in small towns want to get out of there ASAP.

- "Backwardness" of young people. It might just be selection bias in the types of small-town people I've talked to (e.g. ones active on the same websites as me, and those who go to college), but young rural people seem mostly in line with the politics and values of young urban people, and generally claim to hate the culture of where they're from. It's mainly middle-aged and older rural people who are truly behind the times and inhospitable to change.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

6,696 posts, read 3,727,549 times
There are as many different kinds of rural communities as there are kinds of cities so it is not possible to make general statements. Rural university or college towns would be different from rural farm towns or rural towns where a prison or a mine company is the primary employer. Cities under 50k population will mostly be off the radar of corporate retailers. Towns over 50k will start to see Big Box retailers and more investment - sometimes to the detriment of local business and reduced local "ownership" of the community.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

1,084 posts, read 652,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There are as many different kinds of rural communities as there are kinds of cities so it is not possible to make general statements. Rural university or college towns would be different from rural farm towns or rural towns where a prison or a mine company is the primary employer. Cities under 50k population will mostly be off the radar of corporate retailers. Towns over 50k will start to see Big Box retailers and more investment - sometimes to the detriment of local business and reduced local "ownership" of the community.
That depends on the big box retailers & small citie. Wal-Mart , K-Mart ( before closure) , and a few other urban chain stores the OP mentioned have been in my hometown ( Pop: 24K) and many other cities I visited of similar sizes or so.

Old Today, 11:48 AM

9,202 posts, read 4,194,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
That depends on the big box retailers & small citie. Wal-Mart , K-Mart ( before closure) , and a few other urban chain stores the OP mentioned have been in my hometown ( Pop: 24K) and many other cities I visited of similar sizes or so.

Pretty much any Oklahoma town over 5,000 in population will be have a dead old "downtown" and loads of fast food and a Wal-Mart on the outskirts.

Old Today, 01:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 1,247,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Agreed. It's not as cut and dry as that individual make it out to be when it comes to expansions of retailers/restaurants.

My city has an official population of around 40K, but we're a county seat located along an interstate highway, have a reasonable median income (over $50K) and a trade area of about 150K that includes two of the wealthiest towns in Georgia (median incomes over $80K).

That said, we're also a bedroom community. While we have every department store you can think of (except Macy's), as well as places like Home Depot/Lowe's, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, At Home, Hobby Lobby, Dick's, etc., we're always the last to get halfway decent chain restaurants because half the town (thus customers) is gone for most days in the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or