U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:42 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 1,020,691 times

Advertisements

I would have to say the #1 thing that sticks out most is the high poverty rankings and low education quality.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,237,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Southern Baptists have been in Missouri since before the Civil War. Many early Missourians were from southern states and were already Baptist. Same thing with far Southern Illinois. I agree with most everything else.

Bluegrass is much more prevalent in the upland south while Blues is tied much more to the Mississippi Delta. Obviously with the great migration the Blues found its way into Chicago, St. Louis, and other Midwestern cities. The same cannot be said about Bluegrass. It seems that Bluegrass migrated to the Ozarks (With the settlers from the mountain south). There are differences between Ozark Music and Appalachian Music however since much of the Ozark Bluegrass has some French influence in it.

I would say that grits and cotton are still pretty restricted to the south. The rest of the things you mentioned have definitely branched out however. Also rice typically defines the lowland South pretty well. Rice is grown in SE Missouri all the way up to the City of Cape Girardeau. It's also grown on the Illinois side of the Mississippi up to roughly Ware.

With the crops thing, the South definitely has a unique climate as well. It's got most of the Humid Subtropical climate covered.
I knew about the southern settlers, didn't know about the baptist deal. In any case, it didn't get here by natural means. So that means that baptists are one of the few surviving southern elements left here.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,907,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I knew about the southern settlers, didn't know about the baptist deal. In any case, it didn't get here by natural means. So that means that baptists are one of the few surviving southern elements left here.
Well Southern Baptist doesn't mean your necessarily southern anymore so regardless I would agree in the modern day it's not necessarily a southern trait. I would say that Missouri's high number of Baptists is a rarity in the Midwest, but Missouri as a whole belongs in the Midwest especially since 3 out of the 4 largest cities are definitely nowhere near Southern. (KC, STL, and Columbia) and even Springfield is a mix.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Well Southern Baptist doesn't mean your necessarily southern anymore so regardless I would agree in the modern day it's not necessarily a southern trait. I would say that Missouri's high number of Baptists is a rarity in the Midwest, but Missouri as a whole belongs in the Midwest especially since 3 out of the 4 largest cities are definitely nowhere near Southern. (KC, STL, and Columbia) and even Springfield is a mix.
True. I thought there used to be a difference in the types of Baptists too. For a long time anyway, Missouri to had way more Catholics than Southern Baptists. Now it's nearly split down the middle. As of 1990 there were more Catholics than Baptists.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:09 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,808,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I would have to say the #1 thing that sticks out most is the high poverty rankings and low education quality.
List of U.S. states by poverty rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take out the extremes and it's not much different.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
List of U.S. states by poverty rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take out the extremes and it's not much different.
I guess the district of Columbia really doesn't surprise me since it is mainly a city. Cities in terms of poverty rates will always exceed the average state poverty rate. Overall though, the South tends to be more poor in the rural areas...I'm not sure how much that distinguishes it, but it does distinguish it from most of the Midwest and Northeast.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,585,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
If you look at education by demographic group, it's fairly comparable with other regions. The south has a much higher black population, a group that tends to have high poverty and lower educational attainment all across the country. When taken as a whole, sure, the south looks more impoverished and of lower education. When compared by demographic group, there's not much difference outside a few locations, such as eastern Kentucky.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,004,615 times
People really do seem to be interested in the South history.

Some of the traditional differences don't matter as much, but might still exist. The South was more rural, its white-population was generally more British, it tended to be more hierarchical/aristocratic, it had more of a military tradition, and racial issues were more starkly black/white.

The bad history of the non-South is more about exploiting the Irish and Chinese or killing indigenous people. Southerners killed indigenous people too, removal was largely a Southern phenomenon, but I don't think were quite as involved in the post-Civil War side of the "Indian Wars." The Sand Creek Massacre, for example, was very much a "Union thing." Northerners are perhaps, comparatively, "lucky" in that the people they mistreated are often assimilated, dead, or on Reservations. They do feel guilty in some way, but it's going to be a bit more distanced. The South still has a large black population so the people they/we enslaved and mistreated are more "there to remind us." I'm not sure I'm phrasing this right though.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,143,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Much better = Winning

Winning doesn't dictate who has "Better History", the fact that one side Wins makes it easier for that side to hide it's dirty laundry.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,292,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The South:

Ugly history that people won't let go of. Nice and friendly people.

Everywhere Else:

Much better history that they use to beat the South over the head with. Much uglier acting people.

That is all.
You have been officially nominated for the City-Data Pointless Thread of 2011 Award! The award is a pencil with the point broken off! Best of luck!

[_[_________D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or