U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM

730 posts, read 2,017,036 times

Advertisements

I would agree with OP.
I am particulalry impressed with all the Musical History that came and still comes from Memphis. I took a tour called "Backbeat Tours". I recommend this if you ever have a chance. NO, I'm not just talking Elivis either. With Sun Studio & STAX I have gained a whole new respect for this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM

61 posts, read 113,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
1: Do you agree, that its hard to debate that whatever your style of music, our nations music would NOT be what it is today without the South.
I agree totally. The south is the birthplace of our nation's most prominent expressions of music.

Quote:
2. Do you think there is some pattern, some connection or reason, why the South has been so important the development of music in America?

Personally theres so much that came out of the south, that this can NOT be random.
Hmm, I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps the more laid-back attitudes down there or something. The north was mostly cold and industrial and the south was mostly warm and agricultural, so the way of life in the south was probably more conducive to artistic pursuits. The north was first to give African Americans their deserved recognition via record labels and increased radio time, though. I remember watching a documentary during black history month where it was mentioned that wealthy plantation owners often sent their slaves to Europe to learn classical music so that they could provide entertainment on the plantation during socials and get-togethers, so perhaps the south put more overall stock in music than the north? I can't put my finger on it and give you a concrete reason, but yes, the south is where American music in its most recognizable forms, began.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,313,558 times
The south is good for rock-a-billy, country, and gospel.
But New York City and California have much more variety. These two places have given much more quality music than the south.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,785,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
But New York City and California have much more variety. These two places have given much more quality music than the south.
New York and California is where people went to make it big, record, be part of an artistic and supportive community, but styles of music did not "incubate in those areas at all.

Where was Elvis from? Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. That was rock-a-billy and was the inspiration for the Beatles and everything that came after. Memphis.

What about Blues?? It may have been recorded in Chicago through Chess records, but it was brough up by african americans that grew up in Mississippi and spent time in Memphis. All blues clubs in Chicago serve southern cuisine. (Soul food, cajun, etc.).

Soul/R&B: Otis Redding, Ray Charles both from Georgia. All Detroits Motown artists also southern roots.

What about Jazz?? Yet it may have matured in New York through opportunities to make it big, refine styles, be part of an bohemian/artsy community, but you know very well it started in New Orleans. That is a fact as much as the sky is blue.

What about some of the pioneers in the 80s of atlernative rock. REM and B-52s were important. got their start in the college town of Athens, GA.

NYC definitely developed rap/hip-hop hands downs. And through the 80s through the mid90s, it was largely NYC and LA where it developed, since then however, Atlanta has been a center for the style of music.

Atlanta has become of the fastest growing homes for black celebrities.

I could tell you just don't care for the south. Thats fine. Honestly its not necessarily my favorite region of the country to live in, but its obvious it is where a lot of music gets its start.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,785,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlynx View Post
I agree totally. The south is the birthplace of our nation's most prominent expressions of music.

Hmm, I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps the more laid-back attitudes down there or something. The north was mostly cold and industrial and the south was mostly warm and agricultural, so the way of life in the south was probably more conducive to artistic pursuits. The north was first to give African Americans their deserved recognition via record labels and increased radio time, though. I remember watching a documentary during black history month where it was mentioned that wealthy plantation owners often sent their slaves to Europe to learn classical music so that they could provide entertainment on the plantation during socials and get-togethers, so perhaps the south put more overall stock in music than the north? I can't put my finger on it and give you a concrete reason, but yes, the south is where American music in its most recognizable forms, began.
Good point. Yes, you can't hum tunes in a steel mill. Its pretty noisy. You can hum new tunes on the quiet of a farm.

Warm weather might also lend itself to hanging out and playing music with people.

Other regions (New York, California, Chicago and Detroit at times) however may have given that music the opportunity to flourish.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:42 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,146,499 times
The South was a large influence in the UK as well.

Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, and all your British blues bands got their influence from the Delta blues players.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,146,499 times
Quote:

One word. Ignorance.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,948,034 times
Quote:
that was stupidest post in this thread.

it's obvious, not only in this post but in several of your others, that you have some issue with the south, probably stemming from your little political mind, and are so reluctant to admit to anything as totally obviously TRUE as this thread that it makes it actually pathetic.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Good idea changing your post.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
I'd likely agree it is amazingly important and most important, but they're still might be a risk of overstating this.

Kansas City, Chicago, New York, and San Francisco had some role in the evolution of jazz. Philadelphia and Detroit played a role in the development of R&B/Soul. South is the origins, but it's not like nothing happened outside it.

And although most of our music has "Black" influences there are some forms of folk-music that might be more non-Southern Irish in influence. And some "traditional pop" had Italian influences, often Italians from the North. Stuff like Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra or the like. Lastly I think a good deal of Punk and Alternative were British-influenced.

I'm worried this is going to come out wrong. I don't want diminish the overwhelming importance of African-American or Southern music. Just recognize there are other influences too. (Curiously, considering their population numbers, I can't think of much German influence in American music. I thought maybe the saxophone, but looking it up Adolphe Sax was Belgian)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or