U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Rap started in NYC. That alone should KEEP it at number 1 in Hip-Hop.
Historically yes, presently No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM

61 posts, read 113,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'd likely agree it is amazingly important and most important, but they're still might be a risk of overstating this.

Kansas City, Chicago, New York, and San Francisco had some role in the evolution of jazz. Philadelphia and Detroit played a role in the development of R&B/Soul. South is the origins, but it's not like nothing happened outside it.

And although most of our music has "Black" influences there are some forms of folk-music that might be more non-Southern Irish in influence. And some "traditional pop" had Italian influences, often Italians from the North. Stuff like Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra or the like. Lastly I think a good deal of Punk and Alternative were British-influenced.

I'm worried this is going to come out wrong. I don't want diminish the overwhelming importance of African-American or Southern music. Just recognize there are other influences too. (Curiously, considering their population numbers, I can't think of much German influence in American music. I thought maybe the saxophone, but looking it up Adolphe Sax was Belgian)
Yes, indeed! Most prominent forms of modern music can be traced back to the south, but many important developments happened outside of the south, and some genres have even formed outside of the south (most notably in Europe). Classical European music has played a much larger role in some forms of music, along with common folk music in other parts of the world. I don't think that this thread is trying to imply that all music comes from the south. I think it is a matter of stating that the most prominent forms of modern day music can all be traced back to the south in one form or another, and if it wasn't for the south, then modern music would be a totally different beast than it is today. I see what you are getting at though, and I agree that it would be a disservice to overstate the connection or to imply that all music comes from the south (kind of like saying that all martial arts came from Shaolin temple). Hell, southern music itself can be traced back to Classical European Music and Tribal African Music, so you can go back even further and say that most prominent forms of modern music, and their roots in southern music, can all be traced back to Medieval Europe and Older Tribal Africa.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 AM

61 posts, read 113,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The south is good for rock-a-billy, country, and gospel.
But New York City and California have much more variety. These two places have given much more quality music than the south.
I don't think anyone is talking about quality of music. It is about origins, and while New York and California have added on to the original foundations, those foundations are still southern.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:17 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Some great music from the South:

Lady Antebellum (Georgia)

Lady Antebellum - Just A Kiss - YouTube

Perry (Mississippi)

The Band Perry - If I Die Young - YouTube

Zac Brown Band (Georgia)

Highway 20 Ride - YouTube

Last edited by Stars&StripesForever; 11-22-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Kenny Chesney (Tennessee)

Kenny Chesney - I Go Back - YouTube

Toby Keith (Oklahoma)

Toby Keith - Made In America - YouTube

Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,308,172 times
Southern music is traditional. And it's for patriots, conservatives, and religious people. Southern music is music in a box. They have little interest to experiment. Maybe afraid of Satan. How often haven't we heard of southern baptist preachers warning against the evil and decadence from 'jungle music'? It's quite possible that certain types of music (anti-war, for example) will not be sold in the south.
The musicians in New York City and California experimented, not on country tunes or gospel either. The most innovative music does not come from the south. Southern rock bands are not creative, they just play hard, loud and fast.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Southern music is traditional. And it's for patriots, conservatives, and religious people. Southern music is music in a box. They have little interest to experiment. Maybe afraid of Satan. How often haven't we heard of southern baptist preachers warning against the evil and decadence from 'jungle music'? It's quite possible that certain types of music (anti-war, for example) will not be sold in the south.
The musicians in New York City and California experimented, not on country tunes or gospel either. The most innovative music does not come from the south. Southern rock bands are not creative, they just play hard, loud and fast.
Collective Soul (Georgia)

Collective Soul - The World I Know (Video) - YouTube

REM (Georgia)

R.E.M. - Shiny Happy People (Video) - YouTube

Daughtry (North Carolina)

Daughtry - Crawling Back To You - YouTube

Ben Folds Five (North Carolina)

Ben Folds Five - Brick - YouTube

David Crowder Band (Texas)

David Crowder Band's "O Praise Him" - YouTube

Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,089 times
Quote:
YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. if the south doesn't experiment, how come it is the south who serves as the roots and backbone of the music industry and changed the industry the way we know it? you have to experiment to develop the styles created. you can find styles from chopped and screwed to crunk to new country (which is going mainstream) to "hip pop" to pop and rock like daughtry to waka flocka to carrie underwood to to outkast to queen of pop britney spears (say what you want) to lil john.

we'll start with hip hop and crunk

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 11-22-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,779,975 times
I think we can ignore Visvaldis.

His posts are not even worth replying to.

All Australians are like Crocodile Dundee.
All Englishmen wear bowler hats and drink high tea at noon.
All Germans are nazis
All Russian immigrants are really spies.
All Japanese and Chinese people are geniuses bent on taking over America, with a non-aggressive veneer.
All Italians are in the mafia, all Irish are drunks, and all Jews are bankers that are going to take over the world.

His posts are about as intelligent sounding as the above, so just ignore them.

Either that . . . or he just arrived in a time machine from 1920, when those stereotypes may at least have some plausability.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,712,118 times
As someone who has lived all over the country and moved to the South, I think the OP is onto something. Even now, I think the South has far more musicians than any other region. The nightclubs are just amazing.

Heck, I was invited to participate in a documentary on bluegrass musicians (By the way, bluegrass in its newer variations is beginning to catch fire. Watch for it) in this rural Alabama area, and the talent there was just astonishing. It's just much more embedded in the cultural life here, white and black, than any other place I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or