U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,148,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
As someone who has lived all over the country and moved to the South, I think the OP is onto something. Even now, I think the South has far more musicians than any other region. The nightclubs are just amazing.

Heck, I was invited to participate in a documentary on bluegrass musicians (By the way, bluegrass in its newer variations is beginning to catch fire. Watch for it) in this rural Alabama area, and the talent there was just astonishing. It's just much more embedded in the cultural life here, white and black, than any other place I've ever seen.
I would think this as well. I despise country music today(grew up on mid 80s early 90s), but I still believe country has some of the best musicians in the business. They just don't get recognized because of being behind the singers. Is it me or does it seem like some country singers today are trying to sound like complete hicks on purpose?

Also, I recommend anyone to go watch a live bluegrass band. I don't care if you listen to it or not. The talent is definitely there. I play guitar and it amazes me how they pick so fast and fluently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,785,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I would think this as well. I despise country music today(grew up on mid 80s early 90s), but I still believe country has some of the best musicians in the business. They just don't get recognized because of being behind the singers. Is it me or does it seem like some country singers today are trying to sound like complete hicks on purpose?

Also, I recommend anyone to go watch a live bluegrass band. I don't care if you listen to it or not. The talent is definitely there. I play guitar and it amazes me how they pick so fast and fluently.
That's why I can't stand it. There's no way they all sound like Larry the Cable Guy.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,817,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Kansas City, Chicago, New York, and San Francisco had some role in the evolution of jazz.
...in cultivating the genre so that it could reach the public? Sure. But neither of these cities are anywhere close to being responsible for the beauty and value of jazz in its rawest and purest form. That's New Orleans all the way.

No one is saying that the northern and southern states just sat around and did nothing, but The South is the root. That's all that people are saying.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,241,188 times
Quote:

I don't like Country except for some of the older outlaw stuff, but I agree. Sometimes I'll be flipping through the stations and the riff behind a country song will catch me off guard with how good it is. But yeah, I think everybody in country today took a page from the Garth Brooks playbook and then took it downhill from there. If anybody doubts the existence of American anti-intellectualism all they need to do is listen to a country station for 5 minutes.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,201,625 times

From here: Epileptic Fits of Blogging: US Music Map

Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,241,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Mormon pop? I got 99 wives but a child ain't one?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:34 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,582,197 times
Quote:

None of the country singers I posted sound like hicks. Lady A, Perry, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, and Zac Brown definitely don't match that. Montgomery Gentry and Trace Adkins, as well as Brad Paisley (who doesn't even have much of a southern accent) tend to play up the heavy twang, but even then, I enjoy some of their music. Let's face it, for many in the industry, they feel that a twang makes you more country, especially for those acts that don't have the musical talent to sound country, such as Taylor Swift, so they use their voice to get across the idea that such is country. She grew up in Pennsylvania. It's hard to figure where her twang came from. Or, where Jo Dee Messina's twang came from, being from Massachusetts and all Or, Emerson Drive or Shania Twain, being from Canada. Great Acts, nonetheless.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:59 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Gullah music and Ring shout should also be attributed to the lower SC coast. That area down through coastal Georgia and partially into the northern FL coast is all Gullah territory.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,582,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Gullah music and Ring shout should also be attributed to the lower SC coast. That area down through coastal Georgia and partially into the northern FL coast is all Gullah territory.
So it's all "Gullah territory" despite the fact that there may only be a few thousand of them, but over a million non-gullahs.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
So it's all "Gullah territory" despite the fact that there may only be a few thousand of them, but over a million non-gullahs.
Dude, it's nothing more than a way to acknowledge the geographic range of a distinct cultural group. Get off of it, seriously. My point was that the Gullah musical styles should also be attributed to the SC coastal Lowcountry.

What is it with you? Did a Black person beat you up everyday as a child or something? I hope one day you'll let the blood wash that prejudice from your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or