U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,150,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
None of the country singers I posted sound like hicks. Lady A, Perry, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, and Zac Brown definitely don't match that. Montgomery Gentry and Trace Adkins, as well as Brad Paisley (who doesn't even have much of a southern accent) tend to play up the heavy twang, but even then, I enjoy some of their music. Let's face it, for many in the industry, they feel that a twang makes you more country, especially for those acts that don't have the musical talent to sound country, such as Taylor Swift, so they use their voice to get across the idea that such is country. She grew up in Pennsylvania. It's hard to figure where her twang came from. Or, where Jo Dee Messina's twang came from, being from Massachusetts and all Or, Emerson Drive or Shania Twain, being from Canada. Great Acts, nonetheless.

Thats why I said some. Country started going down hill in the late 90s and took a downright plunge in the 2000s IMO. I understand music does change over time but adding a steel guitar or fiddle to pop/rock music is not country. The lyrics have gotten horrendous as well. Sounds like 10 year olds wrote some of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
I actually enjoy some of the more pop-oriented country songs.

If their intention was to make the genre more appealing to a broader audience, then they succeeded. I'm pretty much a strictly Hip-hop/soul/jazz/gospel guy, but I certainly don't mind listening to this---

Rascal Flatts - What Hurts The Most - YouTube

Carrie Underwood - Jesus, Take The Wheel - YouTube

Old 11-23-2011, 04:37 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,150,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I actually enjoy some of the more pop-oriented country songs.

If their intention was to make the genre more appealing to a broader audience, then they succeeded. I'm pretty much a strictly Hip-hop/soul/jazz/gospel guy, but I certainly don't mind listening to this---

Rascal Flatts - What Hurts The Most - YouTube

Carrie Underwood - Jesus, Take The Wheel - YouTube

True. But they need to name it something else besides country because it sure isn't country.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:37 AM

34,712 posts, read 33,745,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Personally theres so much that came out of the south, that this can NOT be random.
Just look on the back of the Tennessee state quarter. We have 3 distinct regions in Tennessee and each is well-known for a particular kind of music: East (bluegrass - Appalachia), Middle (country - Nashville), West (rock and roll home of Sun Records and music legends, jazz/blues - Memphis)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2014 at 05:32 AM..

Old 11-24-2011, 11:06 AM

5,837 posts, read 10,805,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Just look on the back of the Tennessee state quarter. We have 3 distinct regions in Tennessee and each is well-known for a particular kind of music: East (bluegrass - Appalachia), Middle (country - Nashville), West (rock and roll home of Sun Records and music legends, jazz/blues - Memphis)
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Very true! In fact I was thinking of that when I started the thread!

Last edited by Yac; 01-15-2014 at 07:58 AM..

Old 11-24-2011, 01:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,330,718 times
The Sex Pistols would have been lynched in the South.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,643,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
True. But they need to name it something else besides country because it sure isn't country.
It's just pop music influenced by country.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:55 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,643,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The Sex Pistols would have been lynched in the South.
The Sex Pistols were never that popular during their heyday anywhere in the US outside of a few devoted punks in places like New York or San Francisco or other large cities or college towns. By the 90s though the Sex Pistol's brand of punk was considered mainstream. That being said, there were strong punk/New Wave scenes in Athens, GA and places in Texas by the early 80s.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,950,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Collective Soul (Georgia)

REM (Georgia)

Ben Folds Five (North Carolina)
Excellent examples. Not to mention Matchbox 20 (South Carolina via Florida) or my personal favorite, Better Than Ezra (Louisiana). And if we're counting northern Florida then you can throw in Tom Petty as well.

So you see it's not just about roots/origins. In fact there are still way more bands from the South than you might expect, given remoteness, poverty, low density and all that works against them. As a non-Southerner this struck me at an early age. I think it must have something to do with being "closer to the source," that is, the craziness of Southern culture, climate and politics that first inspired the great music way back when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or