Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region would be best economically if they were Independent?
Midwest 16 21.33%
Northeast 26 34.67%
South 20 26.67%
West 13 17.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
Why is Delaware, DC, and Maryland considered the South? I think to accurately describe the South, it would be anything below Virginia. And Kentucky should be considered the Midwest rather than the South.
I disagree. Except for the Cincinnati suburbs, there is nothing midwestern about Kentucky. Kentucky has the most in common with Virginia, West Virginia, and Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
I think all of the regions would do fairly well b/c they all have strengths and weaknesses, but if I had to choose one I'd go with the South, especially as drawn on this map (I don't personally consider DC to be Southern, but I'll take it!).

It has a lot of farmland, a number of important ports (Miami, N.O. Houston/Galveston, etc), a growing population, lots of oil (Texas), a seat of government with great infrastructure (DC), a financial capitol (Charlotte), a media hub (Atlanta), decent R&D (research triangle), good climate, and strong cultural cohesion. It could use some more high end universities.

The West in intriguing, and cities like LA, SF and Seattle are great with strong media, financial and engineering presences, plus all the innovation in Silicon Valley. They also have good ports (LA, SD, etc), nice climate, natural beauty, some excellent universities. And as drawn, on this map they get Alaska which is a ton of oil. How much farming goes on out West (pretty much all I know about is Napa Valley wine)? If the food production is there, I might have them neck and neck with the South.

The NE has the most developed core of cities, excellent education, and the best interconnectivity between those cities, but I think a lot of the cultural influence of places like NY would slow down if the NE was its own country.

As noted, the Mid-west has abundant food sources, but I feel that some of its major cities are declining a bit. It is also land-locked.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM

8 posts, read 11,546 times
Northeast by far!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
I'm not sure why people are mentioning the midwest; the fact that it's land-locked eliminates it. South, West and NE have the best chance. With me being more in favor of the south. Larger and more economically diverse than the other areas.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I'm not sure why people are mentioning the midwest; the fact that it's land-locked eliminates it. South, West and NE have the best chance. With me being more in favor of the south. Larger and more economically diverse than the other areas.
I thought about the Midwest being landlocked too. BUT assuming that the United States broke up into 4 different countries/regions, the Midwest should be able to make a deal with at least one of the other three. Possibly all of them.

And there is yet another country/region that the Midwest could make a deal with..... Canada.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:30 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you're not thinking that the Midwest has one of the greatest resources - fresh water. You don't think that's important?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:46 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,812 times
Quote:
There aren't any viable land-locked nations?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Education- Colleges

US News top 20:

NE - 9
South- 5
MW- 4
West- 2 (Both in California)

US News top 50:
NE- 18
South- 14
West- 10 (one in Seattle, all the rest in Cali)
MW-8

US News top 100
NE- 34
South- 30
West- 18 (only 3 not in California)
MW- 18

The South seems to hold its own with the NE in the colleges department.

Also, the west seems to be carried by California.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

For High Schools:

Top ten:

West: 5
South: 3
Mid West: 1
North east:1

Top 20:
South: 11
West: 5
NE: 3
Midwest: 1

Top 50:

South: 20
West: 14
NE: 14
Midwest: 2

Top 100:

South: 33 ( 12 in Texas )
NE: 32
West: 28
Midwest: 9

Whats up with high schools in the mid west??

Old 11-18-2011, 06:44 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Commonwealth Foundation - 2010 SAT Scores by State

http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/mPg.cfm?pageID=1439

I would say they're represented quite well here.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Wow!! Looks like the NE put all their eggs in one basket

Metros with more than 1 Million people

South 21
West 11
Midwest 10
North East 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
hmm, those stats show that Indiana is the only state in the midwest to have an SAT participation rate higher than 21%

Connecticut and Mass seem to do well and have very high participation rates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.