U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:53 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,144,915 times

Advertisements

Total shot in the dark......based on what I've heard, read and experienced:

My list, based on the economic outlook (based on total jobs, %unemloyed, business-centric):

1. D.C.
2. New York City
3. Dallas
4. Houston
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Seattle
8. Minneapolis-St. Paul
9. Los Angeles
10. San Francisco

Notables: Philadelphia, Atlanta, Denver, Charlotte

Big* Cities Not on Either List: Miami, Phoenix, Cleveland, St. Louis, San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Detroit

*Big = >2.5 million pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 AM

116 posts, read 205,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You don't say where you're enrolled, but unless you go to a B-school with a big-time national rep, i.e. Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, or the like, a LOT of hiring is done by local companies. So your odds increase for cities near your school. Think of where you want to live and its better if your school is in the region (like I say, aside from the big 'brand-name" schools). Want to live in Houston or Dallas, go to a B-school in the Southwest. Want to live in Atlanta, go to a B-school like Emory. And so on.

In short, if you haven't already, pick your region first, then the best school near there you can get into.

Yea you are so right, i live in houston, and i want to move up north but unfortunately, most of those schools are private and too expensive for me, and since im out of state, i wont even get state financial aid, only federal which is barely anything. Maybe going to texas at austin or texas a&m will give me goo prospects out of state. they are considered the best in texas.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 PM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
Yea you are so right, i live in houston, and i want to move up north but unfortunately, most of those schools are private and too expensive for me, and since im out of state, i wont even get state financial aid, only federal which is barely anything. Maybe going to texas at austin or texas a&m will give me goo prospects out of state. they are considered the best in texas.
Don't forget about scholarships as well. A school of your choice might offer them or look into private organizations. Here's another school you might be interested in: Prospective Students

Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 PM

506 posts, read 1,083,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
McCombs is generally considered a top ten school for undergrad business*. A Texas BBA will position you very nicely. Mays is a decent alternative if UT doesn't work out.

* Many top schools recruited for high-profile business positions don't actually offer undergrad business degrees, so you should arguably move UT down to top twenty. A very good program, nonetheless.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:45 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if Omaha would be a sleeper? Dallas and Houston may work too. Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle and San Francisco are areas with its share of corporations as well. Denver I believe has the second highest concentration of federal jobs next to DC too.
Great to recognize Omaha. There was actually recently an article stating that too many of Omaha's qualified citizens are already employed. In short it was stating that corporate Omaha is now forced to look almost exclusively outside of the area to find employees.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:25 PM

80 posts, read 106,109 times
Philadelphia! With its great and vibrant downtown and affordable living, this is a great city to go for it!

Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 PM

21,204 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Dog View Post
Philadelphia! With its great and vibrant downtown and affordable living, this is a great city to go for it!
Not so much with an 11% Unemployment Rate. The suburbs are lower but then one loses all of the "joy" of living in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or