U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 24 days ago)

10,508 posts, read 14,339,746 times

Advertisements

My furnace and water heater were in my attic in Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,871,411 times
I live in Phoenix. I have a gas heater that I turn on a handful of times each year. I live in a 1200 sq foot home 3bdr/2ba built in 2000. The homes in Phoenix proper are generally smaller square footage wise than you find in the suburbs like Chandler/Gilbert/Goodyear. Many of the older central Phoenix homes do not have garages, which is something I'm not used to coming from California where I'd never known someone without a garage.

As far as basements, I've always wondered why more basements aren't found in AZ. I think it would be a good place to escape the summer heat and would help save on cooling costs. I've been told the reason is because our soil is actually caliche which is extremely difficult to dig in. All I know is that our soil is ridiculously difficult to work with in terms of gardening. I can't get a garden to grow to save my soul, so I've just started an above ground garden.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:03 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,691,014 times
Homes with basements don't really get common until you hit the Missouri-Kansas-Colorado latitude roughly 37deg north. There are some farther south but it is hit and miss except maybe Atlanta etc. like S&SF said.

I have lived in the sunbelt all my life and while I'm envious of a house with a basement, we do fine without one. Furnaces and water heaters can be located in the garage, attic, hall closets, etc.

The small homes the OP speaks of were built in a time when people didn't have alot of money. Larger homes were built for professionals and the rich, but the working class could only afford the smaller homes. Often these weren't built with central heat and air until sometime in the 50's. Those older homes had gas space heaters, floor furnaces, wall furnaces, and the hot water heater would be in a closet outside of the back of the house. Some were even located in the kitchen next to the stove! Not much money=not much room for much of anything.

In short, these small, unequipped homes were once the rule of the day and like someone else said, the 70s and 80s were when the avg sq and amenities became bigger and mor e common.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 PM

30,348 posts, read 27,813,397 times
Default outdoors in Phoenix year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I have seen alot of very small homes and dwellings in Phoenix and Albuquerque and more so Phoenix not sure why .

Anyone know the history why there is so many very small homes and dwellings ? I know in Los Angeles south central doing ww2 many poor black people moved there to work in factories and segregation of black people in areas of LA is factor of why some areas in LA have those small war time homes.

Not sure on the history of Albuquerque and Phoenix. Not even sure where the old sections are in Albuquerque and Phoenix has I do not know Albuquerque and Phoenix area that well.
Phoenix did have several military bases nearby that were used for training, many families moved to the area during WWII. Also Phoenix had a reputation of better weather conditions for people that were ill with breathing disorders; the warm dry air seemed to help them. One area in north Phoenix called Sunnyslope was well known for this.
Quote:
1900-1910s - In the early 1900s, Arizona is a new frontier, a booming land of promise, not only for the healthy but for the sick. Arizona's sunshine and dry desert air draw many people suffering from tuberculosis, rheumatism, asthma and various other diseases. Some are very wealthy and recuperate in exclusive resorts.
Phoenix with its warm winters continued to be attractive for health issues and winter visitors who found it a great place to stay thus built smaller homes for their getaways from the cold north. No need for larger homes because they were just winter visitors.

Many newer homes that were built donít need large square footage; people spent more time out of doors using the pool or the backyard enjoying the year round weather. People simply spend a larger amount of time outside on their patio or in the pool in Phoenix. Thereís no adding pools and patios to the square footage of the home, however people spend a great deal of time using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.