U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-19-2011, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,427 posts, read 7,598,158 times
Reputation: 4732
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Hey live here and see how it is, I'll be glad to trade places with ya.
Happens all over the country.

 
Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 PM
 
294 posts, read 236,346 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Happens all over the country.
I used to live in Bryan/College Station, hung out with black friends, still do here in Georgia when I'm tokin' with folks... but Georgia/Alabama has a higher concentration of trashy people of all backgrounds, that incident just struck a nerve with me because that little girl's parents are teaching her some ****ed up ****, and if you don't consider it racist you're in denial.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM
 
Location: New York NY
2,307 posts, read 1,974,304 times
Reputation: 3407
The problem with white people who have to think so hard about living with black people: they don't really believe middle class black exist and even if they do, they're afraid to live as part of a minority where they wouldn't be in control.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,427 posts, read 7,598,158 times
Reputation: 4732
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I used to live in Bryan/College Station, hung out with black friends, still do here in Georgia when I'm tokin' with folks... but Georgia/Alabama has a higher concentration of trashy people of all backgrounds, that incident just struck a nerve with me because that little girl's parents are teaching her some ****ed up ****, and if you don't consider it racist you're in denial.
If its true, of course its racist. I just don't see it happening.

I'm sure Texas has more 'trashy people.'
 
Old 11-19-2011, 09:13 PM
 
294 posts, read 236,346 times
Reputation: 231
Welcome to Columbus, Georgia. I mean I've met really cool people from Alabama, and here as well, but this town is exceptional for how backwards it is compared to everything around it. Mix in religion with a plantation mentality, and you get about 5% of Columbus's population, mixed in with more religion and white nationalists, thats another 5%, then the rest are less religious country boy types with xenophobic tendencies, good at heart, but they'll scare you with the **** they say.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 PM
 
13,154 posts, read 12,217,801 times
Reputation: 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
no, i would not.

1) i don't want my kids growing up talking and acting like they are black or gangster or whatever just because they were raised around it
2) as long as i'm alive, race mixing in my family won't be tolerated... not out of racism, but in the best interest of our identity and culture that took thousands of years to protect and develop
As crazy as that may sound to people, I kinda understand your reasoning. When you have miscegenation(especially between White and Black), the child usually gets recognized for their Black side more than their White side. It's like their European heritage is rejected. So, me as a 100% dark-skinned black dude, I can fully understand your reasoning without jumping the gun in anger.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 10:23 PM
 
Location: bangkok thailand
2,026 posts, read 1,746,543 times
Reputation: 1291
cant think of any black-majority cities i would want to live in
 
Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 PM
 
13,154 posts, read 12,217,801 times
Reputation: 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The problem with white people who have to think so hard about living with black people: they don't really believe middle class black exist and even if they do, they're afraid to live as part of a minority where they wouldn't be in control.
Exactly. These are the same people who would fear living in Baldwin Hills. When they don't have control they freak out.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NYC
126 posts, read 130,125 times
Reputation: 131
Is one of the towns Bloomfield, CT? I could see myself living there. People in CT will make it sound worst than it is, but as far as I'm concerned, after living in blue collar Staten Island all my life- The town is pretty nice. The black youth in that area are known to graduate HS at a good rate. That's a good sign.
It's a decent places to live. Taxes suck, but anywhere in the north east is like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

I wouldn't like living in a homogenous area anyway. I'm half white though.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ area
5,383 posts, read 2,965,424 times
Reputation: 2818
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
no, i would not.

1) i don't want my kids growing up talking and acting like they are black or gangster or whatever just because they were raised around it
2) as long as i'm alive, race mixing in my family won't be tolerated... not out of racism, but in the best interest of our identity and culture that took thousands of years to protect and develop
I guess you would be the real life family of the film "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" if any of your family members dated someone outside their race.


Guess Who's Coming to Dinner trailer - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top