U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Reputation: 11208

Advertisements

As a white man who lived in Oakland for many years before the whites started moving in I experienced racism but overall felt comfortable most places I went. The exception was certain blocks/neighborhoods where most black and brown people also felt uncomfortable and refused to go unless they lived there.

 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:34 PM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,448,317 times
Reputation: 1225
Not if I could help it. Of course, if most of the Blacks around me were like the Crosby's, that would be great. But we all know that any majority Black city in America will probably look more like Detroit.

And I'm not talking about a middle class suburb that is maybe 30% Black, any city in the US where it is 70% Black with a meaningfully large population is not going to be safe nor a nice place to live. There are many historical roots to this, but that's just the way it is. And I think if we are honest, we all know that.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Not if I could help it. Of course, if most of the Blacks around me were like the Crosby's, that would be great. But we all know that any majority Black city in America will probably look more like Detroit.

And I'm not talking about a middle class suburb that is maybe 30% Black, any city in the US where it is 70% Black with a meaningfully large population is not going to be safe nor a nice place to live. There are many historical roots to this, but that's just the way it is. And I think if we are honest, we all know that.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 PM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,448,317 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Smack your head all you want. I'm not going to put myself in danger for the sake of being politically correct. I've had plenty of experiences in ghetto areas from Oakland to LA to South Sacramento, I know Black ghetto culture and unfortunately, I know it too well. I know I don't want to be around that, EVER. So go ahead and smack your head. I'd rather not be around that element.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:42 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
Reputation: 48121
its not a question of isolation and discomfort its a question of hostility and violence.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:47 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Smack your head all you want. I'm not going to put myself in danger for the sake of being politically correct. I've had plenty of experiences in ghetto areas from Oakland to LA to South Sacramento, I know Black ghetto culture and unfortunately, I know it too well. I know I don't want to be around that, EVER. So go ahead and smack your head. I'd rather not be around that element.
You misspelled Cosby. Chill out.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 PM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,448,317 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not a question of isolation and discomfort its a question of hostility and violence.
Exactly. I truly resent people who like to paint a politically correct kumbaya picture of diversity, as if people only avoided majority Black areas because they were racist or ignorant. I actually love being around EDUCATED Black people. But I've had enough "familiarity" with ghetto Black culture to know I never want to be around it. I don't want to be around dysfunction, and I know what to expect if it's a Black neighborhood. There are good people, but that ghetto element is always there, and I don't want to deal with people who use violence to lash out or to settle things as a part of their daily lives.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times
Reputation: 15389
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
as long as i'm alive, race mixing in my family won't be tolerated.
So what will you do if someone in your family tells you that they want to marry someone of a different race?

Like, tie them up and lock them in a closet?
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Reputation: 8803
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So what will you do if someone in your family tells you that they want to marry someone of a different race?

Like, tie them up and lock them in a closet?
Probably just cut ties and ruin their life as well as the childs. All about keeping that family line clean eh.
 
Old 11-19-2011, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi
2 posts, read 5,134 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Not if I could help it. Of course, if most of the Blacks around me were like the Crosby's, that would be great. But we all know that any majority Black city in America will probably look more like Detroit.

And I'm not talking about a middle class suburb that is maybe 30% Black, any city in the US where it is 70% Black with a meaningfully large population is not going to be safe nor a nice place to live. There are many historical roots to this, but that's just the way it is. And I think if we are honest, we all know that.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Lets look at the facts instead of living in lala land. I have lived in the Memphis, TN area for the past 3 years and I can't stand it. I will be getting out of the Memphis metrpolitan ****hole ASAP. Heading west to the mountains is my dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top