U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 AM

6,971 posts, read 12,478,001 times

Advertisements

It would only bother me if everything and anything involved with living there was based on race. If it was I would never go there in the first place. If I was stupid enough to move there, then I would fix the mistake and pack up and leave. I would not find that type of enviroment conducive to a happy environment to live in. In other words I don't care what race is a majority as long as its just a people place. Although I prefer some level of diversity in populations, as I live in an area with little and I am leaving. As long as I can be me, and everyone can be themself and live in harmony. Then I would be fine living in such a community.

However again it would have to be more of a people place than a race place. Truthfully though I'm not seeing that in this country. I see so much separation of race as well as ethnic populations in the US. There are days I honestly wonder, how in the world did the US ever feel it was entitled to the name United States. Because I don't see the United part in its populations and viewpoints.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Man, some of you black posters have some real balls. I was ready to jump all over Celtic pride man, but you handled it better than I ever could.
You know it, son.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 AM

10,155 posts, read 6,485,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I used to live in Bryan/College Station, hung out with black friends, still do here in Georgia when I'm tokin' with folks... but Georgia/Alabama has a higher concentration of trashy people of all backgrounds, that incident just struck a nerve with me because that little girl's parents are teaching her some ****ed up ****, and if you don't consider it racist you're in denial.

BS! Those states do not have a higher concentration of trashy people as the state you come from, it's just your ignorance that makes you think so,

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-20-2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 11:45 AM

10,155 posts, read 6,485,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Let's quite the Politically Correct BS. I can't lie, black hoods are dangerous. I don't live in a predominately black hood amongst my peers, but I remember one time, I could hear a white ladies car door lock as I walked by her car. It's nice to know White people fear me. FEAR=RESPECT.

White people don't fear you. You just think they do.
BTW you are wrong of course. Fear does not equal respect.

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-20-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 12:08 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Don't make assumptions. I've been to Baltimore, that place is a slum. I wouldn't want to live there. Also, Atlanta has been touted as a center for Black prosperity, but there are many neighborhoods which are in very bad shape and are simply ghetto.
Yes, but not all of them, and even less so since the city has torn down all of its public housing projects. In a place with a disproportionately large Black population relative to the overall size of the metro like Atlanta, you're going to see some skewing on both the prosperous, educated ends and the impoverished, less educated ends. But make no mistake about it: there are good, solid majority Black neighborhoods in metro Atlanta. The same goes for metro DC.

Quote:
The worst thing is that a lot of the older Black folks in these neighborhoods are the most terrorized and I've heard it come out of many of their mouths that they wish they could round up all the gangbangers and just shoot em all up themselves because they are so sick of the violence.
Absolutely. But this statement contradicts your next one:

Quote:
The big issue is that due to historic reasons, the Black community is so fragmented and not self-reliant that most Blacks who "made it" and become prosperous, MOVE OUT of Black neighborhoods instead of staying there to fix it. They want to live in a "diverse" area, but usually it's an area that is made up of probably less than 20% Blacks, and the rest are middle class to upper middle class Whites or other races. Unlike other races in America that help each other and really invest in their own communities and businesses, Black people have historically done less of that and it shows
This is more of a mixed bag. Firstly, many of the older people in majority Black neighborhoods that you mentioned are the unsung heroes of their neighborhoods. They worked hard all their lives, own their homes, and chose to remain there even as others moved out and the quality of the neighborhood declined. They dug in their heels and simply refused to give up. On the flip side, some Blacks who "make it" today move out of the 'hood, and some choose to seek out more mixed areas but with still a noticeable Black presence. And some opt for upper middle class predominantly Black neighborhoods, like what you may see in Dekalb County, GA or Prince Georges County, MD (outside of the Beltway). And I have to disagree that other races in American "help each other out" because while I still see a sense of solidarity in Black America across socioeconomic lines, poor White people are abandoned wholesale by middle and upper class Whites. This is actually by design and goes all the way back to our nation's founding when rich White male landowners cleverly introduced race as the defining line for inferiority/superiority as opposed to culture and socioeconomic status which had been the standards for such judgments since humans began living in dense settlements. While life in the inner-city hood can be and is often rough, at least these areas have their advocates. In contrast, who's advocating for Appalachia?

Quote:
also due to historical reasons, African Americans also have a far smaller percentage of the population possessing upwardly mobile values such as entrepreneurialism and value for education that has allowed other groups to thrive. There is also a far larger tolerance of socially deviant values such as using crime to make money, having children out of wedlock, living on government assistance than other racial groups in this country. All of those factors make the majority of Black neighborhoods UNDESIRABLE and UNSAFE places to live or to raise a family.
These things are simply a product of failed social policies originating in the 60's. While legislation like the Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, and affirmative action were necessary and benefited us greatly as a people, other policies like urban renewal, public housing projects, and the loosening of welfare laws, when combined with the deindustrialization of urban areas and continued systematic discrimination, all combined to create a huge underclass in Black America.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:29 PM

55,634 posts, read 74,577,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
White people don't fear you. You just think they do.
BTW you are wrong of course. Fear does not equal respect.
the fear that AA see in the eyes of wasps is fear of the law which punishes people when they defend themselves. but AA know that, they learn it young. that is why they provoke so much. very much like the new orleans of my childhood, when AA were afraid to defend themselves from white goons for fear of the unjust law system.. the shoe now is on the other foot, if you defend yourself from ghetto goons, the law will crucify you. kinda like planet of the apes isnt it???, yep, shoe on the other foot

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-20-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 05:52 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,664,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Let's quite the Politically Correct BS. I can't lie, black hoods are dangerous. I don't live in a predominately black hood amongst my peers, but I remember one time, I could hear a white ladies car door lock as I walked by her car. It's nice to know White people fear me. FEAR=RESPECT.

Funny Racist Commercial - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the fear that AA see in the eyes of wasps is fear of the law which punishes people when they defend themselves. but AA know that, they learn it young. that is why they provoke so much. very much like the new orleans of my childhood, when AA were afraid to defend themselves from white goons for fear of the unjust law system.. the shoe now is on the other foot, if you defend yourself from ghetto goons, the law will crucify you. kinda like planet of the apes isnt it???, yep, shoe on the other foot
What the hell?? So us black folks are apes now?!?!

I'm jk.....I got your point. Kinda.....

Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM

573 posts, read 877,148 times
I dont hate black people. I just dont care to get to know them and would prefer to live in a city of any other race as the majority.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM

2,968 posts, read 4,340,145 times
I'm white. I lived in Atlanta for 6 years and I survived.

(I did move though )

Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM

254 posts, read 485,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am in the process of deciding where to live next, within my metro area (Hartford, CT). There are some towns that have very high black populations (40-60%), but the towns themselves are middle/upper class with low crime rates. I am white and have almost always lived in towns where the vast majority of residents are white. Has anyone ever had an issue with this? I am not racist, and have several black friends, whom I love and get along with very well. But I would imagine that living in a town would be a difference experience.

Some questions to consider:

As a white person in a black town, have you ever felt isolated?

Have you ever had a difficult time making friends with the other residents?

Have others treated you differently, because you are white?

Can anyone comment on this matter from their own experience?

Personally, I would prefer to be around people who are similar to myself, so that I can relate to them better, culturally.

Thanks
I am white and would prefer living in an area with a lower crime rate period. Sometimes living around other white people makes me feel ignorant and like I'm in a cube. I'd much rather live (as I do now) in a low crime multi cultural city/suburb, simple as that. I don't know why some people are afraid to live around other races or people of other religions, if it doesn't make you look racist, it sure makes you look like you aren't self assured. You can be of any ethnicity and share the same culture, remember black people have been in America just as long as white people and white people who just came here from many parts of Europe have a very different culture they follow despite the white skin you have in common
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or