Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:38 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Not if I could help it. Of course, if most of the Blacks around me were like the Crosby's, that would be great. But we all know that any majority Black city in America will probably look more like Detroit.

And I'm not talking about a middle class suburb that is maybe 30% Black, any city in the US where it is 70% Black with a meaningfully large population is not going to be safe nor a nice place to live. There are many historical roots to this, but that's just the way it is. And I think if we are honest, we all know that.
What about suburban Atlanta? Or areas of LA like Ladera Heights?

Old 11-20-2011, 12:42 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Let's quite the Politically Correct BS. I can't lie, black hoods are dangerous. I don't live in a predominately black hood amongst my peers, but I remember one time, I could hear a white ladies car door lock as I walked by her car. It's nice to know White people fear me. FEAR=RESPECT.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:12 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,946,612 times
Man, some of you black posters have some real balls. I was ready to jump all over Celtic pride man, but you handled it better than I ever could.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:44 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What about suburban Atlanta? Or areas of LA like Ladera Heights?
There are suburban areas that may have a Black plurality and be middle class and be well maintained, I don't mind those areas. There just aren't any large cities with a Black plurality that can maintain those same standards. The main reason is that historically the Black population in this country has been poor and impoverished, or lacking the skills to be upwardly mobile, so the number of the Black elite has traditionally only been a small percentage of the overall Black population, that is why it is not enough to sustain a large city. Who knows, maybe this will change in 100 or 200 years, but as of now, if it's a Black neighborhood, chances are, you will have to watch your back, lock up your doors at night, or just know that at any moment, random bull sh i t may fall upon you.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
So is that how you think all blacks talk and act? Don't get around much, do you?
if you can please point to the exact location of my post where i said that "all blacks" talk and act like that then i will give you a million dollars.

btw, i do get around plenty. i am a minority at work. i work with a bunch of hispanics and i live in the dc metropolitan area and 40 miles from baltimore, so there are also plenty of black people.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 11-20-2011 at 03:06 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
There are suburban areas that may have a Black plurality and be middle class and be well maintained, I don't mind those areas. There just aren't any large cities with a Black plurality that can maintain those same standards. The main reason is that historically the Black population in this country has been poor and impoverished, or lacking the skills to be upwardly mobile, so the number of the Black elite has traditionally only been a small percentage of the overall Black population, that is why it is not enough to sustain a large city. Who knows, maybe this will change in 100 or 200 years, but as of now, if it's a Black neighborhood, chances are, you will have to watch your back, lock up your doors at night, or just know that at any moment, random bull sh i t may fall upon you.
Those same cities with a black plurality/majority still have excellent neighborhoods within them, whether majority-black/white/mixed, etc.
You also have to ask yourself if the outside risk of being robbed or burglarized at some point in your life is enough to keep you away from what entices people to move to a city in the first place. It's just as much a detriment to one's life to drive 30 minutes or more into a suburb each way every single day, than to look both ways before crossing the street (or walking down the street).
Or put another way, there's much more reason to live in Atlanta, Oakland or Baltimore than there is to live in San Jose, Sacramento or Indianapolis.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:33 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I already do, and I have no problem with black people, but the plantation mentality runs rampant where I live. I'd rather live in a northeastern city with a majority black population like Baltimore then some southeastern city with a majority black population like where I am now. There are too many racist ones here, who call you ignant if you so much as look at them the wrong way if you're not black. I was waiting in Walmart in line and a younger black couple dressed in typical people of Walmart type attire had a little girl with them in line in front of me, the girl notices me and says "satan" with some wierd creepy grin. She couldn't be any older then 4 years old, but it was just sickening how some people raise their kids with stereotypes like that. One of the reasons I hate living in the south.
You do realize that there are fairly large, progressive cities in the South with progressive and educated Black populations right? Living in Albany, GA will not be the same as living in Raleigh, NC, not just as far as their Black populations go, but across the board.

Such an ignorant perspective, like a lot in this thread. And of course, I'm not surprised.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
No.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
Sure.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Those same cities with a black plurality/majority still have excellent neighborhoods within them, whether majority-black/white/mixed, etc.
You also have to ask yourself if the outside risk of being robbed or burglarized at some point in your life is enough to keep you away from what entices people to move to a city in the first place. It's just as much a detriment to one's life to drive 30 minutes or more into a suburb each way every single day, than to look both ways before crossing the street (or walking down the street).
Or put another way, there's much more reason to live in Atlanta, Oakland or Baltimore than there is to live in San Jose, Sacramento or Indianapolis.
Don't make assumptions. I've been to Baltimore, that place is a slum. I wouldn't want to live there. Also, Atlanta has been touted as a center for Black prosperity, but there are many neighborhoods which are in very bad shape and are simply ghetto. San Jose and Sacramento have a lot to offer, don't assume. San Jose is one of the countries safest large cities, and is definitely one of the wealthiest on a per capita basis. Sacramento, I think is probably wealthier per capita wise than Atlanta or Baltimore.

I am willing to live in Oakland but only in the areas that are prosperous and safe, which typically means the whiter parts of Oakland than the rest of the city. Places like Piedmont, Rockridge, etc. are definitely majority White or Asian, and they are considered the more bohemian, safer, interesting parts of Oakland.

Like I told you, I've had plenty of experiences in Black ghetto neighborhoods to know I don't want to live there. Your speech about facing as many obstacles driving long distance was just condescending. I don't have the time, but if I could, I would list all the reasons why from high crime to just irritating daily things that I would have to put up with. I don't even need to do that because I'm sure most people here already know what those negatives would be without me writing about it, but people just want to be politically correct, and that's fine.

Hell, even most wealthy Black people don't want to live in majority Black areas, and that's a fact. But they aren't crucified for it, but their reasoning why is well understood and just taken as a salient fact.

Look, I am not here to bash Black people. I'm not that type of person. I hate racism, especially when it is directed against someone who is good, kind, etc. At the same time, I'm a realist, and just a very honest person. I am the type of person who does not say things or butter things up just to be socially accepted. It's not like I grew up my whole life in some hokey town in Minnesota, not knowing any Black people and saying I don't want to live in a Black city because I'm afraid of Black people. I'm not afraid of Black people, but what I'm afraid of are Black thugs, gangbangers, criminals and they tend to exist in large measures in majority Black neighborhoods. I've lived in the biggest cities in California from San Francisco to Los Angeles to Sacramento, I've spent plenty of time in places like Bayview/HP, Oakland, South Sac, South Central LA, Compton, etc. I know that on a regular day, walking through there, you won't get hurt or nothing bad will happen to you. But guess what? It just takes one bad day, and your life would be in danger. I also know that a lot of the folks living in those areas, Black folks, are good people, (though they may not have made good choices in life and thus are poor with bad credit, usually) but the ghetto thug element is always there and that's what makes it unsafe. The worst thing is that a lot of the older Black folks in these neighborhoods are the most terrorized and I've heard it come out of many of their mouths that they wish they could round up all the gangbangers and just shoot em all up themselves because they are so sick of the violence. So let's be real here, yeah, there are some nice Black neighborhoods on par with middle class White neighborhoods, but they are few and far between and the populations in these places are so small that they are truly insignificant in the big picture.

The big issue is that due to historic reasons, the Black community is so fragmented and not self-reliant that most Blacks who "made it" and become prosperous, MOVE OUT of Black neighborhoods instead of staying there to fix it. They want to live in a "diverse" area, but usually it's an area that is made up of probably less than 20% Blacks, and the rest are middle class to upper middle class Whites or other races. Unlike other races in America that help each other and really invest in their own communities and businesses, Black people have historically done less of that and it shows, also due to historical reasons, African Americans also have a far smaller percentage of the population possessing upwardly mobile values such as entrepreneurialism and value for education that has allowed other groups to thrive. There is also a far larger tolerance of socially deviant values such as using crime to make money, having children out of wedlock, living on government assistance than other racial groups in this country. All of those factors make the majority of Black neighborhoods UNDESIRABLE and UNSAFE places to live or to raise a family.

Last edited by sacramento916; 11-20-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.