Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:12 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,850,315 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of deciding where to live next, within my metro area (Hartford, CT). There are some towns that have very high black populations (40-60%), but the towns themselves are middle/upper class with low crime rates. I am white and have almost always lived in towns where the vast majority of residents are white. Has anyone ever had an issue with this? I am not racist, and have several black friends, whom I love and get along with very well. But I would imagine that living in a town would be a difference experience.

Some questions to consider:

As a white person in a black town, have you ever felt isolated?

Have you ever had a difficult time making friends with the other residents?

Have others treated you differently, because you are white?

Can anyone comment on this matter from their own experience?

Personally, I would prefer to be around people who are similar to myself, so that I can relate to them better, culturally.

Thanks

Old 11-19-2011, 04:36 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,757,072 times
To be honest, I have several black friends. One of my best friends is black and we have been friends for over 40 years. We have alot in common, our educational background, our careers. We have lived in different states for 30 years, he (yes, I am a woman), lives basically in a white neighborhood and has for years. He has no issues, like water he has seeked his own level.

Prior to living in Florida, I lived in the Atlanta area, it was considered a grey area, upper middle class, well maintained, lovely area, I never had an issue, all who lived there were professional, well educated people and I really enjoyed living there, made many good friends who I am still in contact with today, we visit each other as often as possible.

My point, take your time to choose the right area and I believe, based on my experience that you will be just fine. Because we have a different color of skin, to me, does not mean we are not culturally compatible.

Just my thoughts, take what you want and leave the rest.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,253,126 times
no, i would not.

1) i don't want my kids growing up talking and acting like they are black or gangster or whatever just because they were raised around it
2) as long as i'm alive, race mixing in my family won't be tolerated... not out of racism, but in the best interest of our identity and culture that took thousands of years to protect and develop

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 11-19-2011 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-19-2011, 04:55 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,132,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticgermanicpride View Post
no, i would not.

1) i don't want my kids growing up talking and acting like they are black or gangster or whatever just because they were raised around it
2) as long as i'm alive, race mixing in my family won't be tolerated... Not out of racism, but in the best interest of our identity and culture that took thousands of years to protect and develop
ab?

Old 11-19-2011, 04:57 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,443,473 times
I'm not a racist as some of my best friends are black but all the welfare, crime and crack smoking would get old after a while. I guess If I didn't have a family to protect and I couldn't afford anything better I would do what I had to do to get by.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,074,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I'm not a racist as some of my best friends are black but all the welfare, crime and crack smoking would get old after a while. I guess If I didn't have a family to protect and I couldn't afford anything better I would do what I had to do to get by.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:17 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,006,367 times
Yeah.

I can totally see this thread going in all kinds of directions, and none of them are good.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,132,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Yeah.

I can totally see this thread going in all kinds of directions, and none of them are good.
I don't know why people make these threads in the first place..

Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,443,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't know why people make these threads in the first place..
because if they didn't this forum would be boring.

now
on with the racism

Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM

5,856 posts, read 11,856,904 times
Frankly, I think of it more as classism than racism. I prefer to live amongst people of my own class regardless of their color or ethnicity. I don't care to live in a "high class" neighborhood anymore than I would a lower class area. I like somewhere in the middle with a healthy dose of diversity. If it's as you say, upper/middle class, as long as you are comfortable with that, there shouldn't be any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.