U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 02:12 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,231,676 times

Advertisements

Waffle House is boss. I have no idea what some of the people in this thread are talking about.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 12:27 AM

12,655 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Waffle House chooses their locations based on traffic patterns. Being primarily a late night / early morning eatery, they tend to be on the side of the road where people are heading TO work. Or in places where there is lots of traffic, or cross-commuting, they may locate on BOTH sides of a major highway to catch patrons going both ways. In large or congested metro areas, like Metro Atlanta, they are frequently on BOTH sides of an interstate exit so that customers, particularly truck drivers, do not have to cross traffic to reach them and then get back on the interstate.

MAKE SENSE?

BTW ... Waffle House is a highly successful company, so they're obviously doing something right.
I sense you're defensive… why? Heaven forbid we question the wisdom of Waffle House?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I live in NJ. I never heard of Waffle House until City-Data, and then I laughed that there was a place with such a name--a restaurant built around waffles? I don't think I've had a waffle since I was a little kid. We had them with ice cream.

THEN--I found out it was a whole chain of restaurants!!! Do people really eat so many waffles that you can build an entire restaurant chain around them??
No different than IHOP, I guess - a restaurant built around pancakes.

Reading their menu, I've never had (or even heard of in some cases) half their options. Never had grits, grilled biscuits and gravy, never heard of Texas melts. They wouldn't do well in NJ, Mightyqueen! No Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwiches (on a hard roll or bagel) - though based on their description of a Texas melt, it sounds like that would be a great sandwich on Texas toast with double cheese.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:15 AM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Life without grits...I can't even imagine it.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Reading their menu, I've never had (or even heard of in some cases) half their options. Never had grits, grilled biscuits and gravy, never heard of Texas melts.
You need to get out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Life without grits...I can't even imagine it.
Seriously!

This thread is making me hungry ... Alas, no WH for 100 miles. Off to make some grits! Fortunately I loaded up on some good stoneground grits last time I was in Virginia. Yum.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Reading their menu, I've never had (or even heard of in some cases) half their options. Never had grits, grilled biscuits and gravy, never heard of Texas melts. They wouldn't do well in NJ, Mightyqueen! No Taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwiches (on a hard roll or bagel) - though based on their description of a Texas melt, it sounds like that would be a great sandwich on Texas toast with double cheese.
I think Waffle Houses in NJ and NY would do very well. Most things originating in the South (food-wise) seem to do well up here. Look at the number of Chick-fil-As that have popped up in Jersey. I have no idea why there aren't more Krispy Kremes considering that it's one of the most delicious things on earth. Once they bring Waffle House and Cook Out to the Tri-State region, it's a wrap. Maybe the diners don't want the competition.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
LOL ... Waffle House doesn't have to advertise. They market themselves by location, brand and having a consistently good product that's affordable and fast. They're also able to turn huge profits per location by being amazingly efficient at what they do. The Waffle House operation model is fascinatingly brilliant and the envy of restaurants the world over. For example, WH does not use computers. Orders are called out orally to the cooks, who use a plate and condiment system to note orders on the line. Nothing is ever written down. Waitresses write out all tickets by hand using a calculator. Until a few years ago, they were cash only.

Waffle House is successful because they have developed something that works, and has high customer demand and satisfaction. Waffle House patrons are intensely loyal customers, and for good reason. They can go to any WH location in the country and the product is exactly the same.

And despite what you think, their food is always made fresh WHILE YOU WATCH, is quite tasty and far from bland. My favorite thing is scattered, smothered, covered, chucked, diced and peppered -- bash browns with onions, cheese, tomatoes, ham and jalapeños. YUM! Their grilled chicken, patty melts and Texas steak sandwiches are great!
Bingo.

In order to buy into the franchise, you have to work at a WH for a minimum of two years, starting out on the grill. You have to understand each and every facet of the operation before owning one. That's the best way to ensure quality remains consistent.

Another good thing about WHs is that they are generally very quick...no matter how crowded they are. I-95 is mayhem during this time of year, but no matter which WH I stop at, it never takes more than 5 minutes to get my food. And I've eaten in WHs all the way from Delaware to Mississippi.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,448,737 times
Yuck.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 PM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Seriously!

This thread is making me hungry ... Alas, no WH for 100 miles. Off to make some grits! Fortunately I loaded up on some good stoneground grits last time I was in Virginia. Yum.

You go girl. And don't even get me started on shrimp and grits!

Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,956,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Waffle Houses in NJ and NY would do very well. Most things originating in the South (food-wise) seem to do well up here. Look at the number of Chick-fil-As that have popped up in Jersey. I have no idea why there aren't more Krispy Kremes considering that it's one of the most delicious things on earth. Once they bring Waffle House and Cook Out to the Tri-State region, it's a wrap. Maybe the diners don't want the competition.
The South shall rise again!
Attached Thumbnails
Number of Waffle House locations by state-image.jpg  

Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 PM

12,655 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I need to get out more? How about those foods aren't a staple of my area? I have heard of grits, I've just never had them. NJ isn't a southern state, why would we have them here when they are a type of Southern food?

Have you heard of/ever had Taylor ham, outside NJ (if you've even been here and had it here)? I'm going to say probably not… you need to get out more.

Each region has different food specialties, that's part of what makes the US so cool - visiting states in other regions can feel like visiting a different country in some aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.