U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,297 posts, read 3,513,713 times
Reputation: 4466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You can find pretty much any type of food in a metro of that size. No one eats grits up here beyond a few former-southerners and the soul food crowd. I personally don't get the attraction, don't like the texture or really anything about grits, but I realize that not everyone is going to like odd regional comfort foods if they didn't grow up with them.
Not according to the various food blogs I found for the Twin Cities. It seems as if shrimp & grits is very popular there now - as they are across the country.

And as far as odd regional comfort food goes, grits are much less 'odd' to most than fried cheese curd.

Grits are nothing more than white polenta, which nobody makes fun of or calls 'odd.'

Wonder why that is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM
 
2,825 posts, read 3,271,388 times
Reputation: 1655
Georgia and the Carolinas are pretty tight/connected in general, so I'm not really surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Not according to the various food blogs I found for the Twin Cities. It seems as if shrimp & grits is very popular there now - as they are across the country.

And as far as odd regional comfort food goes, grits are much less 'odd' to most than fried cheese curd.

Grits are nothing more than white polenta, which nobody makes fun of or calls 'odd.'

Wonder why that is....
Aren't you a 70 year old dude who never leaves Texas? How exactly would you know better than the woman from Minneapolis or the man from Milwaukee? I'd like to hear your explanation on that.

I make fun of polenta and grits. Regardless of what they're called, I don't care for 'em. The texture is unappealing, and there's little flavor beyond what you add, so what's the point?

Did you miss my quote "I realize that not everyone is going to like odd regional comfort foods if they didn't grow up with them" or something? If you actually knew as much about Upper Midwestern cuisine as you pretend to know, you'd know that people in Wisconsin talking about "eating cheese curds" are talking about fresh, uncooked curds right from a cheese factory and not fried cheese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2015, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,297 posts, read 3,513,713 times
Reputation: 4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Aren't you a 70 year old dude who never leaves Texas? How exactly would you know better than the woman from Minneapolis or the man from Milwaukee? I'd like to hear your explanation on that.
EXCUSE me?

Knock off about 35 years, and I live in Atlanta. You need to back off from the insults, asap.

Quote:
I make fun of polenta and grits. Regardless of what they're called, I don't care for 'em. The texture is unappealing, and there's little flavor beyond what you add, so what's the point?
You obviously don't speak for everyone, nor your region. Grits and polenta are both popular all over the country, despite you not caring for them.

Quote:
Did you miss my quote "I realize that not everyone is going to like odd regional comfort foods if they didn't grow up with them" or something? If you actually knew as much about Upper Midwestern cuisine as you pretend to know, you'd know that people in Wisconsin talking about "eating cheese curds" are talking about fresh, uncooked curds right from a cheese factory and not fried cheese
No I didn't miss it, as I obviously referenced it. And I have seen fried cheese curds in several places around Minneapolis, so no. That is NOT what is always being referenced.

Nice try, though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2015, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,399,877 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
EXCUSE me?

Knock off about 35 years, and I live in Atlanta. You need to back off from the insults, asap.



You obviously don't speak for everyone, nor your region. Grits and polenta are both popular all over the country, despite you not caring for them.



No I didn't miss it, as I obviously referenced it. And I have seen fried cheese curds in several places around Minneapolis, so no. That is NOT what is always being referenced.

Nice try, though
LOL, what does Minneapolis know about cheese, let alone cheese curds? You were there once? GOLD STAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2015, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,297 posts, read 3,513,713 times
Reputation: 4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
LOL, what does Minneapolis know about cheese, let alone cheese curds? You were there once? GOLD STAR.
Why don't you head over to the State Fair in St. Paul and ask the dozens of people lined up buying the stuff? And what does it matter how many times I've been there?

You also seem to be playing fast and loose with the facts about people in Milwaukee not eating them. Yelp begs to differ:
Absolute BEST fried cheese curds | Milwaukee | Yelp

Fail, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 PM
 
Location: US
645 posts, read 611,220 times
Reputation: 210
Does it really matter how many stores are there in each state!

But i am an IHop fan. Well not a fan like that's the only place i go or something. Just go there once a year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2015, 03:47 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Reputation: 17602
Diners are the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2015, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,297 posts, read 3,513,713 times
Reputation: 4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Diners are the way to go.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2015, 03:56 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 1,813,094 times
Reputation: 921
Waffle House isn't good at all and its dirty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top