U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:09 PM

23,847 posts, read 17,764,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A&W hasn't been "real" root beer in decades. When I was a little kid, you used to be able to get a real rootbeer float in a frozen mug. It's now syrup and carbonated water.

If Waffle House expanded to cover New England, I'd go there but I'd bring my own maple syrup. I have friends who do that at one of the surviving mom & pop breakfast/lunch places. I've eaten at Waffle House maybe a dozen times over the years on business trips. It's kind-a hard to screw up breakfast.
Some craft breweries are now doing craft root beers, cream sodas, etc. We have a local brewery that does a craft root beer with a hint of vanilla. I don't drink those often, but there's no way I'd go back to drinking A&W, Barq's, and the other national brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 04:43 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,993,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I just Wikipedia'd Huddle House and I am surprised that it's a Southern/Atlanta area place. It's definitely an off brand Waffle House. I never ate there though.
Huddle house was founded by a Georgia Tech Football fan.
I actually like Huddle House better than Waffle House, these days.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,208,870 times
I had never even heard of Waffle House until I did the long road trip down to the Florida Keys a few years ago.

Much like 7-Eleven or In-N-Out, this company is alien to Minnesotans.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:23 PM

5,671 posts, read 3,773,608 times
Washington State...zero. Apparently we don't care for waffles.

Actually, I love them.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:32 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,471,383 times
Seeing that Ohio has a bunch of Waffle Houses and Michigan has zero pretty much sums up the difference between the two states. Ohio is basically the Deep South to me. It even has that twangy almost-southern accent.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:41 PM

572 posts, read 323,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Seeing that Ohio has a bunch of Waffle Houses and Michigan has zero pretty much sums up the difference between the two states. Ohio is basically the Deep South to me. It even has that twangy almost-southern accent.
Seeing how Michigan has no Waffle Houses cements my assertion that Michigan is basically North Dakota. It even has that bone-chilling, almost arctic air.

Now hun, pass me some of that grits, you sweet thang.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 PM

14,125 posts, read 7,540,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterRattler View Post
Thats funny regarding unit of measure. However, I did notice this when I was in Boston that there were DDs every few feet.
If youíve ever driven in Boston traffic, it indeed takes 15 minutes to drive past 6 of those Dunkin Donuts.

Anyways, back to Waffle House. Iím kind of surprised it hasnít expanded farther to the north. I wonder if higher labor costs prevent it from being viable?

Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 AM

5,334 posts, read 3,549,089 times
Quote:
If Waffle House expanded to cover New England, I'd go there but I'd bring my own maple syrup. I have friends who do that at one of the surviving mom & pop breakfast/lunch places.
Their pecan waffles are actually pretty good. With real maple syrup, they would be amazing.

I go there maybe twice a year or so. Even though I have about 5 within 15 minutes of where I live, ironically the last time I went was in St. Pete Beach last fall.

We're fortunate to have several other local places I like, the Original Pancake House and the Flying Biscuit (now a regional chain).

My all time favorite though is the Silver Skillet in Midtown. It's probably 50+ years old, and is the real deal Southern Diner. The waits on the weekend can be too much though.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:16 AM

4,110 posts, read 4,767,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Unless you've been to the south, I guess. Ohio is absolute northern.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:18 AM

4,110 posts, read 4,767,774 times
Quote:
A&W hasn't been "real" root beer in decades. When I was a little kid, you used to be able to get a real rootbeer float in a frozen mug. It's now syrup and carbonated water.

If Waffle House expanded to cover New England, I'd go there but I'd bring my own maple syrup. I have friends who do that at one of the surviving mom & pop breakfast/lunch places. I've eaten at Waffle House maybe a dozen times over the years on business trips. It's kind-a hard to screw up breakfast.
Well it's not the root beer that I miss. It's the burgers. If you've only ever eaten A&W at small combo-joints (like with Long John Silvers), you have NOT actually had A&W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.