U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM

15,006 posts, read 31,383,615 times

Advertisements

My only gripe about Waffle House is the restrooms, they're often kinda dirty and right next to where people are eating. It could be bad if your table is next to the restroom and someone is in there with explosive diarrhea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
never been, never will

Old 12-09-2011, 12:32 AM

956 posts, read 1,774,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I agree Waffle House should advertise beyond its current markets, the way Sonic used to run ads during national college games so people watching the game who live in a non-Sonic area already knew of it. We now have a few in Maryland, before I remember watching the commercials and friends would be like that looks amazing why don't we have that here, and people who have been to North Carolina and Virginia already knew about it too.
Waffle House would just be wasting their time doing that, if you ask me. And anyway, that style of advertising is very annoying to me, since it just creates envy in areas where that chain hasn't opened any locations(*ire complely focused at Jack in the Box, since they haven't returned to the Chicago area where they used to have a good number of locations*).

As for the history of Waffle House, it's a company that has done VIRTUALLY NO advertising whatsoever, and just let it's food and the number of locations speak for themselves, so to speak. That said, it'd be nice if WH ever expanded further into the Midwest than just throughout Ohio, southern Indiana and the Indianapolis area, and up to Saint Louis. They opened one or 2 locations directly east of Cleveland a few years back, for whatever strange reason!

Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
never been, never will
Oh no.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:09 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,759,137 times
Waffle House is awesome, but I can understand how some people might think Southerners are overrating. Everybody overrates a local or chain restaurant from their region. In HS, all I ever heard the Northern kids talk about was White Castle. I tried it one time and thought, overrated. It's just what you're used to.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:31 AM

956 posts, read 1,774,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Waffle House is awesome, but I can understand how some people might think Southerners are overrating. Everybody overrates a local or chain restaurant from their region. In HS, all I ever heard the Northern kids talk about was White Castle. I tried it one time and thought, overrated. It's just what you're used to.
Totally agreed, polo. I think people from the Midwest(where I live) often overrate White Castle, when I'm not big about their sliders, versus the other food they serve(believe it or not!). It's just a place I very infrequently eat at, and that's all there is to it. Ditto with Steak 'n Shake, to a lesser extent.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
i'm from the north, have a white castle within walking distance and think it's overrated.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM

1,501 posts, read 2,325,084 times
Here in the Indy area we had full service restaurants that were called Waffle House. They were mostly like Denny's, Bob Evans. Most eventually shut down. We also had these places called Waffle and Steak, very small footprint stores that are similar to current day Waffle House restaurants. I never went to one. Within the last five years or so, the small footprint Waffle House restaurants started to appear in this area. This past summer was the first time the wife and I ate at Waffle House. We had to take a trip to Alabama for a wedding, then spent some time in Florida. I now know why there were so many Waffle Houses that I saw while driving in the area.

We ate at Waffle House twice, once in Alabama, once in Georgia. Both meals were breakfast and we both go some meal deal that was a waffle, an egg, bacon, and toast. I liked the food overall. The bacon has a taste that I've tasted elsewhere and it isn't my favorite, but edible. Overall, I won't mind stopping off at a Waffle House.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,100,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Here in the Indy area we had full service restaurants that were called Waffle House. They were mostly like Denny's, Bob Evans. Most eventually shut down. We also had these places called Waffle and Steak, very small footprint stores that are similar to current day Waffle House restaurants. I never went to one. Within the last five years or so, the small footprint Waffle House restaurants started to appear in this area. This past summer was the first time the wife and I ate at Waffle House.
The "Waffle & Steak" locations in Indiana were the same as Waffle House every else. They could not call them Waffle House in Indiana because of the local "Waffle House" brand you referenced. The national Waffle House was able to re-brand as Waffle House in 2005. This is the wikipedia entry on the issue:

For years, Waffle House was known as "Waffle & Steak" in Indiana due to another chain of restaurants owning the rights to the Waffle House name in the state.[7] Reportedly, the original Indiana Waffle House chain has started using the name "Sunshine Cafe".[8] However, the d/b/a for "Sunshine Cafe" belongs to "Waffle House Greenwood Inc.", established in 1981.[9] The oldest "Waffle House" entity listed with the Corporations office of the Indiana Secretary of State is "Waffle House of Bloomington, Indiana, Inc." established in 1967, and like Waffle House Greenwood, it is still an active corporation.[9] (Many of the Waffle House corporations in Indiana have been dissolved.) "Waffle House Inc." of Norcross, Georgia registered with Indiana in 1974. In 2005, the Waffle & Steak restaurants all adopted the "Waffle House" moniker, bringing the entire chain under the iconic name.[9]

Waffle House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 AM

340 posts, read 649,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm from the north, have a white castle within walking distance and think it's overrated.
white castle was the nastiest ish i ever tasted
they need to put more waffle houses in the dc area..i think the closest one is in waldorf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.