Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,898 times

Advertisements

Twitter and Square permanent work from home:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel.../#2b3fd2ad614b

Shopify permanent work from home:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rom-home-shift

I think more and more people will start to leave expensive metros if allowed to work from home. Companies will also offshore more work to other countries in the age of Zoom, Teams, Slack etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 03:22 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Twitter and Square permanent work from home:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel.../#2b3fd2ad614b

Shopify permanent work from home:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rom-home-shift

I think more and more people will start to leave expensive metros if allowed to work from home. Companies will also offshore more work to other countries in the age of Zoom, Teams, Slack etc...
Some may, but I don’t think it’ll be as many as some think? People choose to live in expensive metros for many others reasons besides jobs? Keep in mind people work their tails off their whole life in school and their careers to live in the nicer cities in this country. Good weather, family, recreational and cultural amenities, not to mention the hassle of moving, will keep most in place even if their job allows them to live somewhere else.

Besides that, while it has been shown many jobs can be done from home now, most employers are still gonna want/need to see employees time to time. Plus the jury is still out on productivity at home during the pandemic, and if it’s sustainable? Sure twitter, some other non high/bio tech, and some banking has shifted indefinitely, per your articles, but they all have highly motivated and driven workers. I’m not sure you can say the same for all industries and their workers?

I personally know a few who have office jobs in HR and accounting and they’ve told me they aren’t working nearly as hard as they did last month or previously at the office?

What I do see is more people moving further out in their metro, or just outside of it, as daily commuting won’t be a factor if there is a major shift.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:31 PM

Now Facebook too:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/21/...-remotely.html

Quote:
"this decision will allow Facebook to improve the diversity of its workforce and spread economic opportunity across more places.

"When you limit hiring to people who either live in a small number of big cities or are willing to move there, that cuts out a lot of people who live in different communities, different backgrounds or may have different perspectives," Zuckerberg said.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:48 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
This is fabulous. I hope at least 500,000 people leave the Bay Area. Air quality and traffic have been superb for 2 months...

Old 05-22-2020, 09:13 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is fabulous. I hope at least 500,000 people leave the Bay Area. Air quality and traffic have been superb for 2 months...
Then that'll create more room for people to move in.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:26 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Did you see the part where Zuckerberg said that employees who leave the Bay Area for cheaper locales will likely have to take pay cuts? If you think you're gonna be able to port your high-dollar salary in an expensive metro straight across to a cheaper one just because companies move to remote workforces, you've got a rude awakening in store for you. I suspect companies will become more savvy about paying the going rate in a particular metro, even if that means your $200,000 Bay Area paycheck becomes a $120,000 one in a place like Omaha.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:02 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hope everyone leaves California so I can buy a home on the beach

Old 05-22-2020, 11:13 AM

If Zuckerberg is implying that he will be willing to hire remote workers from outside the US, there will be several billion people willing to work for $20,000 a year. Forget $120,000 dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Did you see the part where Zuckerberg said that employees who leave the Bay Area for cheaper locales will likely have to take pay cuts? If you think you're gonna be able to port your high-dollar salary in an expensive metro straight across to a cheaper one just because companies move to remote workforces, you've got a rude awakening in store for you. I suspect companies will become more savvy about paying the going rate in a particular metro, even if that means your $200,000 Bay Area paycheck becomes a $120,000 one in a place like Omaha.

Last edited by usernametaken; 05-22-2020 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.