U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,536,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
If you're talking about The Nation of Islam (as opposed to Muslims who happen to be black), I think Detroit, Philadelphia, and Chicago are the only cities with a a fairly large number of followers.

Yeah the Muslims in the West End in Atlanta are mostly Sunni, there a few FOI in the area though, but mostly Sunni. It's nothing like Philly where as soon as you're in the city you see dudes everywhere with the beards, but they have a very tight knit community and they have a decent number too. The kids from that area went to my HS, and they were serious about their religion. A lot of them spoke Arabic, and they followed the Muslim edic's like wearing pants that didn't touch the ground or male capris, and most had beards if they could grow them back them. And they stuck together. I cant emphasize how much they stuck together. If you got into a fight with one, you would end up fighting all of them, even the older ones who had graduated already.LOL. And the dudes wouldn't let you talk to any of the Muslim females unless you were Muslim. They were always respected.

There was this ex-black panther named H Rap Brown aka Jamil Al-Amin who had a Masjid over there and he ran the area, some even say he was really a crime boss. All when i was growing up I used to hear stories about guys who weren't Muslim coming up missing for selling drugs in the West End area. The FBI investigated this one crew of guys for years, saying that they were using the Community Masjid as a cover for crime, people say they murdered 46 people over the course of 15 years, but who knows, it could have just been for H Rap Browns militant past. But he is in prison now for allegedly killing a cop, and the whole case just seemed funny.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 AM

737 posts, read 1,411,572 times
I second the Twin Cities.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:22 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,379,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
It's nothing like Philly where as soon as you're in the city you see dudes everywhere with the beards.

Yeah, a lot of those guys are NOI and prison converts. Also, alot of guys will have the Muslim beard which is commonly called the "Philly Beard" but not be Muslim at all.

Philly Beard.flv - YouTube

Old 11-26-2011, 02:24 AM

52 posts, read 111,699 times
There a fair of them in high black populated cities.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 AM

164 posts, read 310,217 times
I try to stay away from discussions on religious topics since people tend to get so emotional and it leads to drama. I personally reject ALL organized religion although I do consider myself a very spiritual person. But some of you are getting things completely mixed up on this topic.

Since I'm from inner-city Philadelphia, I know enough about this subject to clarify some of the erroneous things that have been posted. There is no way a black male can grow up in the city of Philadelphia and not be exposed to or have some acquaintance with Islam on some level--regardless of whether your family is Christian, Agnostic, Atheist, or whatever.

The vast majority of the Black/African-American Muslims in Philadelphia belong to various "Sunni" congregations throughout the city. They are NOT members of the Nation of Islam (NOI).
Members of the Nation of Islam (NOI) do not grow beards. They are typically clean shaven, clean cut, and wear suits with bow ties. Sometimes you might see them out selling bean pies, their newspaper, etc. depending on which splinter group of the NOI they belong to (Farrakhan's group is the most well-known). Thus, the overwhelming majority of African-American Muslims in Philadelphia are orthodox "Sunni Muslims" which is the same general branch of Islam that is worshipped by the majority of Muslims throughout the world. Although the NOI is certainly active in Philly, they are a very small minority compared to the thousands of Sunnis.

Some of you have stereotyped the thousands of African-American Muslims in Philly as largely "prison converts." I find that very insulting and I'm not even a Muslim; but it is insulting to me as an African American, as a Black man. It is certainly true that many criminals conveniently decide to "convert" to Islam once they go to prison. They do this simply with the hope of gaining some type of protection since Muslims are so strong in the prisons. Once they get back on the streets, many (or some) of these "prison converts" revert back to their criminal life-style. But that is true of the majority of ex-cons, regardless of religion. Most of these individuals were already criminals before they even "converted" to Islam.

The majority of the African-American Muslim community in Philadelphia are NOT prison converts. Most of them converted voluntarily (in freedom) or they were born into families that were already Muslim. In Philly, it's not uncommon to have black families that have been Muslim for multiple generations. Their roots go back to the 60s and 70s during the days of Malcolm X and later Warith D. Muhammad. The majority were once followers of Elijah Muhammad in the old Nation of Islam but, after he died in 1975, followed his son Warith D. Muhammad away from the old NOI theology into orthodox Sunni Islam. Today, some have become even more conservative followers of fundamentalist Sunni sects like the Salafis.

The main point is that African-American Muslims are well-represented in ALL socioeconomic classes throughout the Philadelphia area. Muslims are a fully integrated, normal and everyday part of that city's Black culture--right there along with the traditional "Black Church." In other cities that I've been to, Muslims are there but they seem to be much more peripheral to the overall culture. For instance, there are definitely some Muslims in Baltimore and DC, but the traditional Black Church clearly and uncontestedly dominates the mainstream Black culture of those cities. In Philly, African-American Muslims are far more numerous and more integrated in the normal, day-to-day mainstream Black culture. They are well-represented in the area's educational systems, law enforcement, medical institutions, etc. They are some of the most active Black entrepeneurs in the area. In fact, Sylvester Johnson, the previous African-American Police Chief, was a Muslim.

Mayor Nutter Speaking on Philly Muslims

Mayor Nutter Interview on Islam - YouTube

Kenny "Luqman" Gamble of the Philly Sound

Music Mogul Kenneth Gamble Embraced Islam (Part 1) - YouTube

Muslim Martial Artist in Germantown

Muslims in Philadelphia, a reverts story....flv - YouTube

Examples of "Street" Muslims

Pastor Terry Jones burning of the Quran. - YouTube

Rapper "Freeway" Speaks on His Faith

Freeway on CNN - How Islam shaped one rap artist - YouTube

Women Voluntarily Converts in Philly

A Group of Revert Sisters from Philadelphia - YouTube

Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,536,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yeah, a lot of those guys are NOI and prison converts. Also, alot of guys will have the Muslim beard which is commonly called the "Philly Beard" but not be Muslim at all.

Philly Beard.flv - YouTube

I've heard "Philly Beard", but I hear "Sunni beard" more. And I don't think that a lot of them are prison converts. Here in Atlanta, most of the Muslims I have met who are prison converts tend to be NOI, and not Sunni. And even then they are mostly the older guys. People join organizations in prison for protection really, and these days, especially in the federal prison system, gangs like Bloods, Crips, GD's, DC Blacks, BGF among others just hold more weight. So you don't see as many dudes coming home as converted Muslims as you do dudes coming home with gang affiliations. It's just a different day. And I'm not from Philly, but I have been there, and from I what I understand is that the Muslim community there has been going strong for the better part of 50-60 years. And it's not because of prison converts as much as it is just a cultural thing there locally. I'm not Muslim, and I don't really believe in organized religion, but I have always respected Muslims. I have seen the solidarity in how they stick together in both good and bad ways, on a larger scale in Philly, and on a much smaller scale here in Atlanta's West End neighborhood.

And the beard itself has gone beyond just Muslims and Philly. I know a lot of dudes in Detroit who are not Muslim who rock the beard, same for Miami, NYC and even here in my city.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Very informative, Nomad. Thank you.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:45 PM

711 posts, read 1,288,036 times
Look how it is in the U.K...

No Go Areas in the UK. - YouTube

Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM

10,552 posts, read 13,109,387 times
Chicago is home to Louis Farrakhan.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM

276 posts, read 737,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
Some of you have stereotyped the thousands of African-American Muslims in Philly as largely "prison converts." I find that very insulting and I'm not even a Muslim; but it is insulting to me as an African American, as a Black man.
Good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.