U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 PM

56,571 posts, read 80,870,855 times

Advertisements

People forget that there are Black Dominicans, Puerto Divans, Peruvians and Blacks in other Latin American countries that aren't of a mixed background or are of a highly African ancestry.

Here's some more interesting information: Afro-Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 05:33 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
I worked with a guy who was self-identified black Latin from Belize. He spoke fluent Spanish. I recall him telling me of how he was referred to as all manner of pejoratives by other Central American nationals who assumed he was African-American.

I don't get this sudden vogue for believing that Latin America or Europe is a model for hand-holdy integration while America is the most racist place on the face of the earth.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:27 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
I think it's something of an old thing. Several celebrities left the US during segregation so that highlighted the idea other places were better.

And segregation I don't think was practiced in those countries. However in some of those countries I think a big part of it was also that they liked talented and Westernized black people. That didn't mean they weren't racist to blacks. The French or British could be really racist to Africans. I'm not sure Latin-America had as much of an image as a place "blacks flee to in order to escape segregation and the KKK", it seems like it didn't, but it might be that kind of dynamic if so.

And the Mestizo thing could relate to some of this in a way. I remember reading the French, in part, loved Josephine Baker because many French men had odd ideas about how wild or exciting blacks were in terms of sex. (European women had the same thing with black men) And I think it was probably not unheard of for French colonials to have West African mistresses. That their white men were more openly willing to lust over black women, or American indigenous women in the case of the Spanish in the New World, isn't really a sign they lacked racism. (Granted White American men had affairs with black women too but I think it was more of an "open secret" and some states even banned "fornication" between the races) In some ways it can be a fairly dehumanizing kind of racism to objectify a people as sex-objects and I think the "Mestizo" nature of Latin America did originate with many unequal/slightly-abusive relationships.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:14 PM

56,571 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think it's something of an old thing. Several celebrities left the US during segregation so that highlighted the idea other places were better.

And segregation I don't think was practiced in those countries. However in some of those countries I think a big part of it was also that they liked talented and Westernized black people. That didn't mean they weren't racist to blacks. The French or British could be really racist to Africans. I'm not sure Latin-America had as much of an image as a place "blacks flee to in order to escape segregation and the KKK", it seems like it didn't, but it might be that kind of dynamic if so.

And the Mestizo thing could relate to some of this in a way. I remember reading the French, in part, loved Josephine Baker because many French men had odd ideas about how wild or exciting blacks were in terms of sex. (European women had the same thing with black men) And I think it was probably not unheard of for French colonials to have West African mistresses. That their white men were more openly willing to lust over black women, or American indigenous women in the case of the Spanish in the New World, isn't really a sign they lacked racism. (Granted White American men had affairs with black women too but I think it was more of an "open secret" and some states even banned "fornication" between the races) In some ways it can be a fairly dehumanizing kind of racism to objectify a people as sex-objects and I think the "Mestizo" nature of Latin America did originate with many unequal/slightly-abusive relationships.
I would Rep you if I could, because that is something that many people don't think about. Many of those relationships came down to availability and/or convenience as many Spanish/Portuguese men came alone, unlike English and somewhat French men.
Many early Irish were an exception, as many came as servants and Black and White servants intermingled before the concept of race became embedded into our society.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM

126 posts, read 168,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Completely wrong. Mexico has the world's 20th highest homicide rate. List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
Granted, within Mexico, its northern border region is many times more violent than some of its peaceful southeast states, as you can see in the link's drop-down list by clicking on "Mexico".
The US is not too far behind. Compared the US to another Latin American country such as Chile and you will find that there is a 400% increase in homicide
here compared to Chile. I must also point out that the problems Mexico is having are fairly recent and most of it is because Mexico happens to border a neighbor with insatiable appetite for drugs.
Look at this site and see how the US leads the world in the number of incarcerations.
File:Prisoner population rate UN HDR 2007 2008.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

545 posts, read 461,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriblank View Post
I have noticed that in most Latin American countries don't seem to have racial issues like we do in the U.S (correct me if I'm wrong), and it is strange that we are not because of the long history of different people living side by side. I also think it would make things more simple.

Mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Racism is quite alive and well in Latin America, especially in the South American countries. The lighter the skin, straighter the hair the more elitist you are in those societies!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM

545 posts, read 461,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What are you talking about? The Dominican Republic is KNOWN for being a majority mulatto country. Your lack of knowledge really shows here. Haiti and DR are nothing alike. One is sub Saharan African with little to no admixture, and the other is a mulatto country with slight European dominance.

Puerto Rico is not mulatto! Are you kidding me? Most Puerto Ricans are Tri-racials, and a large portion of the island can pass as Spanish. Very few people in PR are mulatto. Hell, there's more mestizo in PR than mulattos!
Actually if you look at the census figures for Puerto Rico before the choice of "Hispanic" was given (I believe the 1990 census was the first time it was used). Roughly 85% of Puerto Rico residents identified themselves as "White"

Old 11-30-2011, 08:53 PM

5,515 posts, read 17,677,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
Actually if you look at the census figures for Puerto Rico before the choice of "Hispanic" was given (I believe the 1990 census was the first time it was used). Roughly 85% of Puerto Rico residents identified themselves as "White"
Which is why I said a large portion of Puerto Ricans can pass as Spaniards.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,523,672 times
I don't know about "more," but I can tell you that I wish the U.S. was less hyphenated and more American.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 PM

149 posts, read 222,816 times
if usa became more mestizo it would not be less racist. latin america is definitly more racist than america. i mean racial mixing is more common in the usa. forget what people are saying racial mixing is not common in latin america. mainly due to it being even more segregated than america and all the racial mixing that has happen has already happened. its racist, beautiful but racist. its blantant as well especially if u r black. generally whites and light mestizos are treated the same. tan mestizos and light mulatos are the middle. dark mulatos, indians, blacks and zambos are at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or