Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times

Advertisements

No.

You'd be asking for:

1. Failing Schools
2. More Crime
3. More Poverty
4. More Takers/Collapse of the Social System
5. Change of the overall culture (since so many refuse to acculturate).
6. Over-Population (since they have such a high birth rate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Filipinos want to be whiter (hence the popularity of skin whitening products and light skinned celebs)
When I was in Vietnam, I couldn't help but notice that many girls there would wear hooded sweatshirts in order to maintain a fairer complexion and keep themselves from tanning much. Never mind that they lived in a tropical climate where sweatshirts are never needed, and never mind that I'd start sweating after spending 10 minutes outside without a sweatshirt. There's no way any of those girls could have been comfortable doing what they were doing. It wasn't my idea, though, and I even told the people I'd traveled with too.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I think you are wrong. Many latin countries don't deal as openly, and some might say, as obsessively about race problems as we do.
When is last time you saw a mestizo looking president of Mexico? Same with Brazil. Brazil is about 60% black, yet not one black leader of that country. The full blooded europeans who make up about 10% of the population do much better in Mexico than the mixed bloods and indians. In fact, they are quite happy to send their poor indians and mixed bloods across our border for work. Many other latin american countries are the same.
We are 12% black yet we have a black president. Some people are so hypercritical about race in this country, yet are the opposite in other countries, sweeping it under the rug, giving an impression they don't have race problems.
Brazil is 48% white. Pure-bloods are probably at least 30%. Southern Brazil is mostly white.
Blacks in Brazil constitute 6%
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l#Demographics

Old 11-23-2011, 07:02 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Brazil is 48% white. Pure-bloods are probably at least 30%. Southern Brazil is mostly white.
Blacks in Brazil constitute 6%
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l#Demographics
When you add those that are mixed, it is about 40-45% people of Black African descent. Even people that look "White", will have a subustantial amount of Black african ancestry. Brazil and many Latin American countries are different, as the people that came from Europe were usually men that came alone and many were in the military. So, when they came to the Western Hemisphere, their choices for mates were limited to the women that were there(i.e.-Native and African slave). Hence, the reason for the higher rate of mixture in those countries. Northeastern Brazil is similar to the Southeastern US in that it is the "Blackest" region of the country. Many largely have roots from tribes/ethnic groups in modern day Nigeria and Angola.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ra_populations

Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
When you add those that are mixed, it is about 40-45% people of Black African descent. Even people that look "White", will have a subustantial amount of Black african ancestry. Brazil and many Latin American countries are different, as the people that came from Europe were usually men that came alone and many were in the military. So, when they came to the Western Hemisphere, their choices for mates were limited to the women that were there(i.e.-Native and African slave). Hence, the reason for the higher rate of mixture in those countries. Northeastern Brazil is similar to the Southeastern US in that it is the "Blackest" region of the country. Many largely have roots from tribes/ethnic groups in modern day Nigeria and Angola.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ra_populations
I'm fully aware that Brazil has a lot of biracial people. That said, how can you include them as black, when they don't even look fully black? These people of African descent that you refer to have as much, if not more, European ancestry than African ancestry. They don't even look black, but some type of shade-in between with features that look like a hybrid.

There are areas of northeast Brazil that are majority black, particularly around the city of Recife. That said, blacks as a whole constitute a little over 6.0% of the population. Whites in Brazil, if you're talking about pure whites, are at least thirty percent. The three most southern provinces are all over 80% white, with heavy German descent. Much of the southeastern Brazil coast, inland about one hundred miles, has many people of Portuguese and Italian ancestry.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I'm fully aware that Brazil has a lot of biracial people. That said, how can you include them as black, when they don't even look fully black? These people of African descent that you refer to have as much, if not more, European ancestry than African ancestry. They don't even look black, but some type of shade-in between with features that look like a hybrid.

There are areas of northeast Brazil that are majority black, particularly around the city of Recife. That said, blacks as a whole constitute a little over 6.0% of the population. Whites in Brazil, if you're talking about pure whites, are at least thirty percent. The three most southern provinces are all over 80% white, with heavy German descent. Much of the southeastern Brazil coast, inland about one hundred miles, has many people of Portuguese and Italian ancestry.
Some do, but many don't look White. When looking at many, you wouldn't mistake them for being European or fitting the socialization of what is White in terms of race. Especially considering the strong African influence in the culture in Brazil.

Yes, I know that SE Brazil has higher percentages of Whites and much of that was due to immigration. Don't forget the Polish immigrants as well.

Brazil also has the highest Japanese population outside of Japan.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some do, but many don't look White. When looking at many, you wouldn't mistake them for being European or fitting the socialization of what is White in terms of race. Especially considering the strong African influence in the culture in Brazil.

Yes, I know that SE Brazil has higher percentages of Whites and much of that was due to immigration. Don't forget the Polish immigrants as well.

Brazil also has the highest Japanese population outside of Japan.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...hite_Brazilian

Old 11-23-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Much of this pretty reinterated what I said.

Also, while there are some differences in comparison to the US, socially, the differences aren't that much different in terms of race between the two.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
I think the only way to overcome racial divisions in America is if all races embraced the same high standards in education, economic attainment, and also are all dedicated for the betterment of America, which should be where all our primary loyalties lie. Because like it or not, we are all here, we are Americans, this is our country and this is where our grandchildren will be. So coming from someone with immigrant roots, I think we should just focus on being the best American citizens we can, that's the only way race will be a secondary factor.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:45 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Tiny number of mulatto (black/white) in Latina America? In many Latin American countries (particularly the Caribbean) the mulatto make up the largest portion of the population. Yet people have been taught that they are mestizo (native/white), because the Spanish have been a vehemently anti-African culture since the invasion of the Moors.

In Puerto Rico maybe, but in the Dominican Republic? Haiti? Martinique? Nicaragua? Mexico? Hell no. Brazil is easily the most mulatto country in Latin America possibly followed by Panama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.