Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Ya you have a point there. Race in Brazil is a lot more complicated than the U.S. A person could have dark skin and be considered white. The reality is that most of the slums in Brazil are occupied by those who are considered to be more African in appearance.

Being "black" (whatever that means) in Brazil is still considered a negative for many Brazilians. In some ways the United States has had a more open open dialogue about race.
That was a point I was trying to make in that not all of the people there of visible African descent identify as such, but socially, you can see how being of such effects realities there. Many that are dark don't identify as White usually, but as Pardo(meaning Brown).

There has been a more recent or hidden consciousness that has been occurring in Brazil and other Latin American countries. So, it isn't like there aren't many similarities in regards to the subject between the US and Latin America. Culture, Land and Resistance: Brazilians Celebrate Black Consciousness Day

Black in Latin America | PBS

MiamiHerald.com | Afro-Latin Americans

MiamiHerald.com | Afro-Latin Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 01:18 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In Puerto Rico maybe, but in the Dominican Republic? Haiti? Martinique? Nicaragua? Mexico? Hell no. Brazil is easily the most mulatto country in Latin America possibly followed by Panama.
I would argue that the Dominican Republic is the largest percentage Mulatto country in Latin America. Although Brazil has the largest numeric population of Africans outside the continent (much larger than the United States).

Old 11-26-2011, 10:23 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
In Puerto Rico maybe, but in the Dominican Republic? Haiti? Martinique? Nicaragua? Mexico? Hell no. Brazil is easily the most mulatto country in Latin America possibly followed by Panama.
What are you talking about? The Dominican Republic is KNOWN for being a majority mulatto country. Your lack of knowledge really shows here. Haiti and DR are nothing alike. One is sub Saharan African with little to no admixture, and the other is a mulatto country with slight European dominance.

Puerto Rico is not mulatto! Are you kidding me? Most Puerto Ricans are Tri-racials, and a large portion of the island can pass as Spanish. Very few people in PR are mulatto. Hell, there's more mestizo in PR than mulattos!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I would argue that the Dominican Republic is the largest percentage Mulatto country in Latin America. Although Brazil has the largest numeric population of Africans outside the continent (much larger than the United States).
Give this man a prize.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:52 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,240 times
Nah, because power has more to do with MONEY...and the poor will still get the shortest straw, no matter what hue of skin is in control.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:49 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What are you talking about? The Dominican Republic is KNOWN for being a majority mulatto country. Your lack of knowledge really shows here. Haiti and DR are nothing alike. One is sub Saharan African with little to no admixture, and the other is a mulatto country with slight European dominance.

Puerto Rico is not mulatto! Are you kidding me? Most Puerto Ricans are Tri-racials, and a large portion of the island can pass as Spanish. Very few people in PR are mulatto. Hell, there's more mestizo in PR than mulattos!

I'm using mulatto in the American sense of the word (black+white). I'm aware that some people use it to mean black+hispanic/native/etc. but that's not what I was referring to.

What makes you think I thought Haiti and the DR were alike?

I've been to Puerto Rico, and while I was there I saw a lot of mulattos, as well as mestizos and as you said tri-racial people. However, the mulatto population was very noticeable.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,487 times
Quote:

And this gets back to the crux of this whole thread. People in DR look down on those in Haiti because they are Black Africans. Basically there is no difference between Haitians and people living in Saharan Africa.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I'm using mulatto in the American sense of the word (black+white). I'm aware that some people use it to mean black+hispanic/native/etc. but that's not what I was referring to.

What makes you think I thought Haiti and the DR were alike?

I've been to Puerto Rico, and while I was there I saw a lot of mulattos, as well as mestizos and as you said tri-racial people. However, the mulatto population was very noticeable.
The problem is that the Puerto Rico retained ALOT of Amerindian genes. The average Puerto Rican was something like 60% European, 20% African, and 20% Native American. Now, the average Dominican was something like 46% European, 42% African, and 12% Native...which is more mulatto range.

Cuba has even less Native then DR, so Cuba probably has 50-50 mulatto. But again, PR is not the mulatto country, DR is.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
The problem is that the Puerto Rico retained ALOT of Amerindian genes. The average Puerto Rican was something like 60% European, 20% African, and 20% Native American. Now, the average Dominican was something like 46% European, 42% African, and 12% Native...which is more mulatto range.

Cuba has even less Native then DR, so Cuba probably has 50-50 mulatto. But again, PR is not the mulatto country, DR is.

Not that I doubt what you're saying, but do you have a source?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Not that I doubt what you're saying, but do you have a source?
The study was from here somewhere.

Genome-wide patterns of population structure and admixture among Hispanic/Latino populations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.