U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 PM
 
30 posts, read 68,951 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

I have noticed that in most Latin American countries don't seem to have racial issues like we do in the U.S (correct me if I'm wrong), and it is strange that we are not because of the long history of different people living side by side. I also think it would make things more simple.

Mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 PM
 
605 posts, read 1,236,450 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriblank View Post
I have noticed that Latin American countries don't seem to have racial issues like we do in the U.S, and it is strange that we are not because of the long history of different people living side by side. I also think it would make things more simple.

Mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No because even in Latin America there is still much discrimination against black people, so it has nothing to really do with mestizos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 PM
 
4,800 posts, read 10,584,803 times
Reputation: 8290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriblank View Post
(correct me if I'm wrong)
I think you are wrong. Many latin countries don't deal as openly, and some might say, as obsessively about race problems as we do.
When is last time you saw a mestizo looking president of Mexico? Same with Brazil. Brazil is about 60% black, yet not one black leader of that country. The full blooded europeans who make up about 10% of the population do much better in Mexico than the mixed bloods and indians. In fact, they are quite happy to send their poor indians and mixed bloods across our border for work. Many other latin american countries are the same.
We are 12% black yet we have a black president. Some people are so hypercritical about race in this country, yet are the opposite in other countries, sweeping it under the rug, giving an impression they don't have race problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Scotland
431 posts, read 577,687 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriblank View Post
I have noticed that in most Latin American countries don't seem to have racial issues like we do in the U.S (correct me if I'm wrong), and it is strange that we are not because of the long history of different people living side by side. I also think it would make things more simple.

Mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You're right, things would be simple if the US were more like LatAm. Especially for those who get to play the Aymara. No schools, no work, no power. Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,569 posts, read 6,024,448 times
Reputation: 2577
Latin Americans do bad mouth native americans or blacks. With blonde, colored eye, white looking ones being praised.

But a typical Mestizo would be usually black hair, brown eyes, medium complexion, etc.
Those are the majority and I do think they don't care about each other's looks as much over there since the majority IS that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 PM
 
Location: United Kingdom
432 posts, read 793,487 times
Reputation: 420
Kanhawk covered it pretty well.


How would the U.S being " Mestizo" makes things more simple? I really don't get that logic. No matter what you're always going to have some form of discrimination be it skin color, weight, etc. Have you been to Mexico or parts of South America? If not maybe you should plan a trip. Should put things in a better perspective for you. Among the most Discriminating people I've come into contact with are Mexicans & South Americans. Is America far from perfect, of course it is. That being said wanting us to be more like South America and Mexico would be a major step back in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 PM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 12,389,535 times
Reputation: 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerriblank View Post
I have noticed that in most Latin American countries don't seem to have racial issues like we do in the U.S (correct me if I'm wrong), and it is strange that we are not because of the long history of different people living side by side. I also think it would make things more simple.

Mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll be happy to correct you. This was the racial hierarchy in Latin America after the Spanish colonized it:


Spaniards from Spain
Spaniards born in Latin America
...
...
...
...
mestizos
...
...
...
...
...
...
natives
...
...
...
...
Africans
...
...
...
...
half native/half Africans



This is the hierarchy right now throughout most of Latin America (including Mexico):


Whites
...
...
...
...
...
Mestizos
...
...
...
...
...
half African/half whites
...
...
...
...
...
Natives
...
...
...
...
...
half African/half mestizos
...
...
...
...
Africans


half native/half Africans don't even register in the racial conscious of most Latin American countries, and particularly not in the Caribbean. There's such a tiny number of half Africans/half whites that they don't really register either.

A lot of Mexicans in US and in Mexico won't even acknowledge that there are Afro-latinos at all... they'd rather that latinos are perceived to only be made up of white and native blood as Native is still far better than black.

Brazil has a similar hierarchy, i.e. the Spanish were Portuguese and it tends to be quite a bit more mixed-race. However, blacks are still firmly on the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,979,387 times
Reputation: 6687
It is possible things would be better for "lighter-skinned" mixed race people. In America we went a bit "one-drop" at times whereas I thought Latin-America was more a shaded affair. If you were mostly of Indigenous or African ancestry you were going to get shut out of power, but I think they were more okay with a powerful person having a black or indigenous grandparent than we were until recent times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Tampa - St. Louis
1,090 posts, read 1,629,123 times
Reputation: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I'll be happy to correct you. This was the racial hierarchy in Latin America after the Spanish colonized it:


Spaniards from Spain
Spaniards born in Latin America
...
...
...
...
mestizos
...
...
...
...
...
...
natives
...
...
...
...
Africans
...
...
...
...
half native/half Africans



This is the hierarchy right now throughout most of Latin America (including Mexico):


Whites
...
...
...
...
...
Mestizos
...
...
...
...
...
half African/half whites
...
...
...
...
...
Natives
...
...
...
...
...
half African/half mestizos
...
...
...
...
Africans


half native/half Africans don't even register in the racial conscious of most Latin American countries, and particularly not in the Caribbean. There's such a tiny number of half Africans/half whites that they don't really register either.

A lot of Mexicans in US and in Mexico won't even acknowledge that there are Afro-latinos at all... they'd rather that latinos are perceived to only be made up of white and native blood as Native is still far better than black.

Brazil has a similar hierarchy, i.e. the Spanish were Portuguese and it tends to be quite a bit more mixed-race. However, blacks are still firmly on the bottom.
Tiny number of mulatto (black/white) in Latina America? In many Latin American countries (particularly the Caribbean) the mulatto make up the largest portion of the population. Yet people have been taught that they are mestizo (native/white), because the Spanish have been a vehemently anti-African culture since the invasion of the Moors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 05:23 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
1,490 posts, read 5,236,744 times
Reputation: 1601
I'm doing my part. My kids are mestizo. Filipino and American.

I have often thought our country would have less strife if we were all a pleasing shade of brown.

Filipinos want to be whiter (hence the popularity of skin whitening products and light skinned celebs)

Caucasians want to be darker (tanning beds and fake spray tans)

Way can't people be happy the way god made them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top