U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you want to live the most?
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA 24 16.00%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA 30 20.00%
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA 3 2.00%
Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ 7 4.67%
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA 26 17.33%
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA 16 10.67%
Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO 25 16.67%
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA 13 8.67%
Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Roseville, CA 4 2.67%
Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 2 1.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:48 AM

7,825 posts, read 12,335,844 times

Advertisements

Of these I went with Las Vegas. I would not live in California because of the earthquakes and overpricing, especially the earthquakes. San Francisco is beautiful but you never know when the big one will hit. Vegas is only 4 hours from the beach and L.A. so it does not feel as isolated as Phoenix or Albuqerque or Salt Lake City. Plus the desert outside is very pretty and there are plenty of outdoors things to do. Vegas is a lot more than the Strip and most people who live in the area don't even go there just like many people who live here in the Baltimore area never go downtown people tend to stay in the suburbs. Los Angeles also has a lot of crime and illegal immigrants and large parts of the area feel like a Third World country now. I honestly saw people washing their clothes in a bucket in a dust filled backyard in East LA when we drove through and many people in the area do not speak English very well so it will be obviously hard for me to get by. In addition to the quakes, San Francisco is also too radically liberal for me with ridiculous taxes. Don't they even tax plastic bags there? There are a lot of weird laws in San Francisco.

Denver is VERY nice to visit but way too cold and snowy for me and I never much was into winter sports though if you like these things it is paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 AM

56,672 posts, read 80,973,859 times
I picked the Bay Area and specifically, I'd go with the East Bay. Denver and Seattle would be up there as well.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
Denver, Portland, Seattle or San Fran

Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 AM

175 posts, read 357,526 times
Probably a tie between Denver and Phoenix for me. Denver has the almost perfect winter climate (for me) - snowy, yet sunny. The altitude could be an issue, but it's also supposedly the fittest city, and is attracting many young and old people alike. Been there too, it's lovely.

Phoenix on the other hand is a fast-growing major city, which has the perfect summer climate I'd like - hot and arid. It has a good market for electrical/software/hardware engineers, too.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM

238 posts, read 254,344 times
I chose Los Angeles but I don't really know why exactly... I have always wanted to go on a cross country road trip to LA so it seems like it would be really exciting just to pack up and move there while im at it. Do I have the wrong impression that its all sun, surf, palm trees, glitz and glamour, etc.?

Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,421,678 times
Denver, Seattle, San Fransisco

Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM

2,423 posts, read 3,143,932 times
From the list in the poll I chose Las Vegas. I've always liked Las Vegas and I love the desert. Las Vegas is going through some rough times now but it will eventually get past it. The city I would most like to live in that's not on the list is Salt Lake City followed by Boise.

-Cheers.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM

654 posts, read 1,615,803 times
Portland. Large enough to have everything you need without being crazy in size. Wonderful mild weather (I don't mind rain). Gorgeous scenery.

Denver and Seattle next.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:36 PM

5,370 posts, read 12,984,234 times
I lived in Seattle for 12 years and loved it. Now I live in Los Angeles and love it. Would also enjoy living in San Francisco.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 AM

7,825 posts, read 12,335,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
I chose Los Angeles but I don't really know why exactly... I have always wanted to go on a cross country road trip to LA so it seems like it would be really exciting just to pack up and move there while im at it. Do I have the wrong impression that its all sun, surf, palm trees, glitz and glamour, etc.?
I've done the cross country trip ending in Los Angeles and was disappointed actually. Granted we did not see the famous ORange County or Ventura but most of Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties felt very dirty and impoverished with loads of illegal immigrants. Hollywood and Beverly Hills and the beaches were indeed nice but overall I didn't like the LA area too much. Plus we arrived on a Saturday afternoon and all the freeways were jammed, I have no idea how local residents plan their day or get around with all the random traffic jams. The smog really also was as bad as people say it is.

Colorado Springs is the most pleasant western city, and the first western city on the trip. (I consider Kansas City and Topeka to be midwest/heartland cities). Denver is also very nice but I won't choose to live there because of the winters. Las Vegas is a nice city that is mostly new and modern, it doesn't have the historic charm that southern cities do but I'd take the modern over the rows of brick rowhouses in Baltimore or Philadelphia anyday. There are also many outdoorsy activities available in the area while in Los Angeles you would have to drive a long distance to get to any sort of open space.

LA, NY, New Jersey and Miami are the places I would least want to live in the U.S..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or