U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There aren't many cities period in the US that has cultural ties to Latin Countries even though they have large Latino populations. Even Miami. Miami was mostly Black and White until the 1960s. Houston was the same until the 1980s. What they both have in common was that they are huge immigrant magnets for Latino's especially since they have large ports. In the South, Outside of Mexican, if Miami doesn't have the mostly the largest of a group, they have the 2nd largest of a group and the same is vice versa with Houston.

It was just a matter of time before Houston or Miami built ties to Latin America. But historically, these two cities were mostly Black and White and became heavily Latino recently.
Good post, Spade. In fact it wasn't until 2000 that hispanics outnumbered blacks in Dallas, and

Demographics of Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not sure when the hispanic population of Houston overtook that of African-Americans, as the comparable Wiki article doesn't really say (see below). I would think it would be at least roughly that of Dallas, perhaps even later, as Houston has always been more of a traditionally "Deep South" city than the former (by large Texas city standards, at any rate) with an even larger native black population.

Demographics of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 AM

249 posts, read 695,356 times
Let's move this post back to 1914 and change the word 'hispantics' to 'Irish'.
Or 'Polish'. Or 'Italian'. I could go on...but this post could have been started the Native Americans when the first Eurpoeans showed up. What are THEY doing here? Why are there Europeans everywhere I look. With the exception of Native Americans, all other people in this country came from somewhere else. That includes all of you.
The Latinos are just the latest group, no matter how or why they came, they are here. They want a better life for their children. They want to works. President Obama likes the hispanics. Look at the entertainment industry and it's pro-Latino activities. In the past, there would be a token black person on every TV show or in every movie. Now it's a token hisapanic. And America didn't even see it happen.
They are here. Get over it. Hay poco o nada puede hacer al respecto.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
Let's move this post back to 1914 and change the word 'hispantics' to 'Irish'.
Or 'Polish'. Or 'Italian'. I could go on...but this post could have been started the Native Americans when the first Eurpoeans showed up. What are THEY doing here? Why are there Europeans everywhere I look. With the exception of Native Americans, all other people in this country came from somewhere else. That includes all of you.
The Latinos are just the latest group, no matter how or why they came, they are here. They want a better life for their children. They want to works. President Obama likes the hispanics. Look at the entertainment industry and it's pro-Latino activities. In the past, there would be a token black person on every TV show or in every movie. Now it's a token hisapanic. And America didn't even see it happen.
They are here. Get over it. Hay poco o nada puede hacer al respecto.
Get over what? Great sound-byte. Now what does any of it have to do with the fact many hispanics ARE here illegally, especially in Texas, California, and the interior SW states? Thus, in many ways, it is questionable as to -- if the illegal factor were removed -- exactly what the demographics would be. Particularly in Texas where, historically, the history/culture of the state has -- until fairly recent times -- always been one of more an anglo/black duality. That is not a derogatory observation, but simply a factual one. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the religious/work ethic of legal hispanics/latinos whose desire is to became law-abiding citizens of this country, giving it their first alliegiance, and not turn it back into Mexican territory.

You are correct, everyone's family roots trace to somewhere else if you go back far enough. But -- unlike so much of this recent hispanic "immigration" -- the English, Scots-Irish, Irish, Germans, Italians, etc, even African-Americans, did not do so illegally. For one thing, Native-Americans generally had no concept of "land-ownership" much less a consolidated idea of unified national soveriengty and immigration laws (they fought and killed each other as much as they did the whites).

So what are "they" (as you ask), doing here? Well, at the least, they violated no immigration laws!

Yes, some of the group you champion (especially decades ago) want a better life for themselves and their kids and to make more money than they ever could in Mexico. They went about it the proper way. Others, more and more these days, want our welfare and entitlement benifits, have no desire to assimiliate, and indeed are -- if not openly, at least very sympathetic -- to the idea of the southwestern quadrant of the United States becoming North Mexico by eventual numbers. It is very telling that in some areas and cities of the above, the Mexican flag takes precedent over that of the United States.

OK, I know I am getting a bit OT here and toward the "Politics" forum, but I just wanted to say...

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-03-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 12:46 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Good post, Spade. In fact it wasn't until 2000 that hispanics outnumbered blacks in Dallas, and

Demographics of Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not sure when the hispanic population of Houston overtook that of African-Americans, as the comparable Wiki article doesn't really say (see below). I would think it would be at least roughly that of Dallas, perhaps even later, as Houston has always been more of a traditionally "Deep South" city than the former (by large Texas city standards, at any rate) with an even larger native black population.

Demographics of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1990 officially is when Latinos overtook Blacks in Houston metro. But I'm thinking that it happened sometime in the late 1980s.

US2010

For DFW, officially it was 2000. But I'm thinking that Latinos passed Blacks well before 2000. Somewhere around 1993.
US2010

The Black and Latino populations were pretty much even. Slightly more Blacks than Hispanics in 1990. But in 2000, Just under 200,000 Blacks moved to Dallas while over 600,000 Latinos moved to Dallas. Had to happen sometime in the early 90s or maybe even Mid 90s.
Just to throw it out, here's SA.
US2010

Obvious that SA is different than the other large Texas cities. It never really had a large Black population.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:16 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,424,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I wanted to open a thread about places that are in regions that have little or no cultural ties to Mexico or Latin American countries, yet have huge Hispanic populations (in number or concentration). For the sake of this conversation, lets define significant as 40% or greater in concentration or over 500,000 in number by either city or metro area.

I got the idea for this thread as I was going through Western Kansas a couple of weeks ago. I went through the towns of Liberal and Dodge City. In both cities it is obvious that Mexican culture is dominant. In the Wal Mart in Liberal the signs are in Spanish first in some cases and English second. Most of the people that I came into contact with were also Hispanic. Im not as familiar with Kansas state history, but I know that most of the state has a fairly low Hispanic concentration.

Being a stickler for data, I looked up the population statistics and my observations seemed right. Below are some examples of what Im talking about. First by city:

Liberal, KS: 58.7% Hispanic
US2010

Dodge City, KS: 57.5% Hispanic
US2010

Garden City, KS: 48.7% Hispanic
US2010

Yakima, WA: 41.4% Hispanic
US2010

Denver, CO: 571,131 Hispanic residents:
US2010
These cities in Western KS, many parts of Denver, and Central/Eastern WA (Yakima, Wenatchee, Moses Lake, Tri-Cities, etc) all have strong ties to Mexico, a la much of California (many people that are migrant workers, immigrants (illegal or otherwise), or their direct descendents).

If you want to see Hispanic areas that do not have strong ties to any Latin American country (or Spain), look to Southern Colorado, specifically Pueblo, Walsenburg, Trinidad, La Junta, Alamosa, etc.

The same could be said about other select areas in Colorado, namely Fort Morgan, Greeley, Brighton, Northglenn, Thornton, Leadville, and a few neighborhoods in NW and SW Denver. These cities also have Mexicans, but also a big number of American-born/raised Hispanics (long descended from Mexicans, Spaniards, etc). Parts of New Mexico, and even Western Nebraska (namely the Scottsbluff area) fit this profile as well.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:39 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Agree absolutely! Unlike in the interior SW states, a large and influencial hispanic population has not been the rule in most of Texas (save perhaps the far western and far southern parts) until fairly recently in the whole scheme of things.

I had have to take some issue with that one, BlkG. Not saying you are wrong, necessarily, but can you explain a bit more?
The Battle of Velasco and San Jacinto took place in the Houston area. Wouldn't exactly consider that ties, but in a sense it gives the Houston area some type of connection with Mexico.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 AM

65 posts, read 53,522 times
San Antonio is one.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:39 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,225,716 times
I realize this thread is old and just got bumped, but Chicago really isn't that surprising. Chicago companies were actively recruiting labor from Mexico a century ago. This lead to the first immigration wave of Mexicans to Chicago around the same time, and as the decades went on the city's reputation grew.

Today, Chicago still has the second highest foreign born Mexican population and I believe the 3rd largest Mexican population overall. Chicago also had the title of second largest overall Mexican population for awhile.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Brock View Post
San Antonio is one.
San Antonio is 130 miles from Mexico, and many Hispanics in San Antonio claim to be Mexican by ancestry.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I realize this thread is old and just got bumped, but Chicago really isn't that surprising. Chicago companies were actively recruiting labor from Mexico a century ago. This lead to the first immigration wave of Mexicans to Chicago around the same time, and as the decades went on the city's reputation grew.

Today, Chicago still has the second highest foreign born Mexican population and I believe the 3rd largest Mexican population overall. Chicago also had the title of second largest overall Mexican population for awhile.
When I toured Willis Tower back in 2012, there were tons of Mexicans from a major company (I want to say Caterpillar, but I could be wrong) there as well. I mean, they were probably just there on business, but there is obviously some international business exchange going on between Chicago and major Mexican cities.

I haven't really had the opportunity to experience any Mexican/other Hispanic culture within Chicagoland, but they are definitely there.

You can find Hispanics most anywhere; I was just in Spokane, WA (which has no history of anybody but European descendants moving there), and all I had to do to find some was to go to a Mexican restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.