U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 11:26 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,587,525 times

Advertisements

Dalton, Georgia comes to mind

And is the Hispanic (mainly Mexican) population growing in Kentucky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Dalton, Georgia comes to mind

And is the Hispanic (mainly Mexican) population growing in Kentucky?
There must be jale there.

(jale means work)

Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,494,500 times
People of Hispanic/Latino origin are the largest minority group in the Grand Rapids MSA. Grand Rapids is 15% Hispanic, it's largest suburb Wyoming is 20%.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:39 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,640,418 times
How about Albuquerque, NM. Most are multigeneration American and have no tie tor Mexico or Latin countries.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
There must be jale there.

(jale means work)
In Dalton, there most certainly is. There's a big carpet manufacturing industry there, and has attracted a lot of Mexicans.

I think the reason a lot of Mexicans have been moving to the East Coast is since it's not saturated with Mexican labor/Mexican restaurants like the West and Southwest are. There are a lot of Mexicans in NYC now, an estimated 500k. I live right outside of NYC and unfortunately they haven't came to where I live yet, so there are pretty much no authentic Mexican food options in my vicinity.

And I speak Spanish relatively well (for a non-native speaker) and didn't know that, thanks for the lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
How about Albuquerque, NM. Most are multigeneration American and have no tie tor Mexico or Latin countries.
It's in a state that's literally named "New Mexico" and borders Mexico, I don't think that's a good example.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:34 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,640,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I

It's in a state that's literally named "New Mexico" and borders Mexico, I don't think that's a good example.
The connection is remote and hundred years in the past.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:42 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,226,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
When I toured Willis Tower back in 2012, there were tons of Mexicans from a major company (I want to say Caterpillar, but I could be wrong) there as well. I mean, they were probably just there on business, but there is obviously some international business exchange going on between Chicago and major Mexican cities.

I haven't really had the opportunity to experience any Mexican/other Hispanic culture within Chicagoland, but they are definitely there.

You can find Hispanics most anywhere; I was just in Spokane, WA (which has no history of anybody but European descendants moving there), and all I had to do to find some was to go to a Mexican restaurant.
Yeah, Chicago has had many decades to work on its relationship with Mexico. It's a little known fact that the second largest shopping district in Chicago in terms of profits is 26th St in the Little Village neighborhood. The selection of stores is not only catering to Chicagoland's Mexican population, but it's also a popular draw for Mexicans elsewhere in the Midwest. That's extremely impressive when you realize that the only other district pulling in more money in general is the Magnificent Mile/Michigan Ave.

Your Spokane story sounds like what's currently being seen in a lot of Midwestern cities not named Chicago. A lot of the larger cities and metros have demographics that more so mirror 1960s America than they do 2010s America, but we're seeing Hispanic communities and businesses starting to grow from the ground up.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The connection is remote and hundred years in the past.
The state it's in borders Mexico and tons of people of Mexican descent live in it.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:00 PM

400 posts, read 271,869 times
Lancaster, PA = 39% Hispanic
York, PA = 29% Hispanic

Old 02-09-2017, 04:16 PM

187 posts, read 158,077 times
Many states in the Midwest have extremely fast growing Hispanic/Latino populations with many small and larger towns across have large or majority Hispanic/Latino populations. This goes along with many large cities in the Northeast. In fact, Hispanic/Latino populations have been growing fast throughout the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.