Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is least racist
Alaska 2 3.92%
California 10 19.61%
DC 7 13.73%
Hawaii 12 23.53%
Texas 6 11.76%
Washington 5 9.80%
Maine 4 7.84%
Other 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 03:31 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Of the list, DC in my opinion even though it technically isn't a state or have congressional representation with a vote yet residents still pay federal income tax. Sorry, couldn't resist the dig...

If talking legal states only, perhaps New York which isn't on your list but Maine and Texas are...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 04:32 PM

253 posts, read 557,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Of the list, DC in my opinion even though it technically isn't a state or have congressional representation with a vote yet residents still pay federal income tax. Sorry, couldn't resist the dig...
Hmm you've humbled me I will no longer laugh at a certain American friend who thinks London, Ontario is in the UK

Old 11-24-2011, 06:56 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
If it was a baited question then I would have put Arkansas
As ignorant as you are, if you ever have been to Arkansas, you would know that it's one of the least racist states then all the ones you have on your list.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:42 PM

253 posts, read 557,771 times
Yea great assumption you made about me, shows how intelligent you are....this post wasn't meant to be so serious, guess you are offended easily.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:51 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Idaho

Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
You cant tell. It would have to be the state with the least hate crimes, if anything. Also it has to be state that isn't all whitebread like New Hampshire or Iowa. Hmm.. decisions, decisions.

Also where are the rest of the states in your poll?
You can't go on hate crime stats. Each state is different when bringing hate crimes charges up. What would be considered a hate crime in state A would not be considered one in state B.

Last edited by garmin239; 11-25-2011 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 08:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
By least racist I mean for a non white non Christian person that wants to get to know people, who aren't just from the same religious and/or ethnic back round? Which state would you consider the most tolerant? Just curious.
this post is racist

Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Any answer is going to be debatable and a real answer might not be plausible in any event.

Like I might think it would be Hawaii since it's the most diverse and most mixed-race. However posters from Hawaii tend to dispute that and some things I've read about Filipino-Hawaiians or indigenous Hawaiians make me uncertain.

Sometimes I've noticed people who don't have one racial/ethnic bias just have another instead. Like they're great with African-Americans, but don't like Puerto-Ricans or they're cool with both those two but don't like Koreans. Or it's more ethnic+religious and they instantly distrust Arabs who are Muslim or are uncomfortable with White-Mormons or Pentecostal-Koreans or whatever.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:45 AM

267 posts, read 175,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
You cant tell. It would have to be the state with the least hate crimes, if anything. Also it has to be state that isn't all whitebread like New Hampshire or Iowa. Hmm.. decisions, decisions.

Also where are the rest of the states in your poll?
Well we KNOW jewel is a racist! Why would you call white people that? Then you want respect for your race. If you are white yourself, then you are just plain ignorant in your postings, if you are black....................just repeat prior line. Good day.

Last edited by Bo; 11-25-2011 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the term you referred to was edited

Old 11-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,431 times
I think that's a pretty difficult question to answer today....I would guess that the best way to answer that question is to look at which states permit gay marriage, as those states generally were the most racially tolerant of blacks. Minnesota and Iowa I think are certainly among the top few. How Michele Bachmann is from those two states just baffles me...how she even won a political seat in those states is more baffling. She's an evangelical...and she considers homosexuality to be a disease. I consider that a form of racism...anything discriminatory is the same thing as racism. I have to tell you, that is about the last kind of person I'd expect to be an elected politician in Minnesota or Iowa. I understand that's not her whole view, and I'm not gay, but it's enough to make me run if she were ever elected president (which I know will never happen). It's going to take at least as great an effort I think on the part of gays as the Civil Rights Movement to get gay marriage bans lifted. The only justifications I could even conceivably think of is fear of an HIV epidemic or fear of people no longer reproducing, both of which are crazy. You can't be talked into liking a certain gender...you either do or don't...that's how you were born. I personally think that once same-sex marriage becomes acceptable in this country, we will have eliminated any kind of true legal discrimination in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.