U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,524,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
I didn't know, nor do I think now, that Maryland is hated.

I grew up in Maryland for 18 years and it's a fine place to live. Moved to Florida for the weather but in terms of education and infrastucture, Maryland is heads above Florida in that respect.

Baltimore is bashed by some by falsely negative portrayals. Don't get me wrong, "The Wire" is arguably the best television show ever created and one of my all time favorites. And while it is very realistic as to certain portions of the city, it isn't supposed to be representative of the city as a whole (nor was it ever intended to be).

Baltimore is actually a terrific city with a lot of culture and nice neighborhoods. I prefer it heartily over DC, which I never had much of an attraction to.
Very good post. I too had no idea people hated or even disliked Maryland. In a way, I think it's sort of similar to New Jersey in the sense that it's overlooked and more associated with a city outside of the state...in Jersey's case, it's Philadelphia and NYC. In Maryland's case it's DC. I think Baltimore is very underrated, but I don't think people hate it.

As mentioned in the quoted post, a lot of people's impressions on Baltimore come from The Wire...so they think of it as corrupt, run-down, and ghetto. To a certain degree that seems to be true, but it definitely doesn't show some of the more beautiful neighborhoods in the city.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM

21,375 posts, read 21,948,539 times
I've been to Maryland and liked it for the most part. I was driving from Harpers Ferry to Antietam to Gettysburg along a pretty winding highway through the woods. Once I glanced off into the forest as we sat at a stop sign and noticed a squirrel on a branch looking at me like, "hey, whadda you lookin' at?" I didn't like that squirrel for copping that attitude at me but didn't do anything to him although no one would have seen it had I chosen to do so. Next time, maybe not so lucky squirrel.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:29 PM

4,668 posts, read 6,124,596 times
I've never heard of MD being hated.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 PM

17,333 posts, read 19,603,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I've never heard of MD being hated.
LOL, exactly. There are a whole lot of nice places in Maryland: Deep Creek Lake and Cumberland in western Maryland, Baltimore and Annapolis in central Maryland, Solomons and North Beach in southern Maryland, Ocean City, Assateague Island, Kent Island, Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge on the eastern shore, to name a few. Everything from cities, towns and historic sites to mountains, farmland and ocean and bay beaches. Plus, Washington DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware right on the border and New Jersey 12 miles away.

So, what exactly is not to like about Maryland?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-26-2011 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-26-2011, 01:55 PM

10,168 posts, read 6,506,890 times
Why does anyone hate any State? Ignorance mainly.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:07 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,235,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Why does anyone hate any State? Ignorance mainly.
While I don't think ignorance is solely the case for hating many states, so much as your preference, or where you were born and raised, how anybody could hate Maryland is beyond me. What's there to really hate? The western part is amazingly scenic and gorgeous, the eastern part borders the ocean and is a major tourist attraction, it's got Washington, D.C., and Baltimore, for all the putdowns it gets, I feel is a nice city. I've never heard anyone put down Maryland the way they put down states of the Deep South or the Great Plains. Not to mention, the way the Midwest is hated on due to the stereotypes of it being nothing but farmland and rusted out cities. Some ignorance I think is present, but it's not the full picture.

The only real reason I could think of for anybody really hating Maryland with a passion is the politics of Washington, D.C. Maryland is certainly not fly-over country, the middle of nowhere, poor, or uneducated as a whole.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:20 PM

33,944 posts, read 42,228,188 times
Hmmm.

The dislike is really centered in the DC/Baltimore corridor because that's where most of the PR comes from. Even people from there don't recognize any other part of the state except that corridor.

We had a former Governor ask a resident how "that ****hole of the Eastern Shore is doing". You have a current governor who is incredibly Montgomery County and Baltimore City centric. Another former Governor knocked up one of his aides and evicted his wife from the Governor's Mansion. Actually we've had a couple Governors who've done that. People from where I live are called SMIBs (Southern Md InBreds) and are looked down upon by the rural pioneers moving here who now want to turn this mostly rural area into a copy of Bethesda or Silver Spring.

There's a thread on the MD forum right now asking where the "trendy" place to live is since that's where the OP want to move.

Many people here are incredibly self-important, you know the type. The ones who are legends in their own minds. They complain that people don't have the newest cars, the fanciest clothes or a house from one of those HGTV shows.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 PM

249 posts, read 696,773 times
Maybe they don't hate Maryland. Maybe they just don't like Black Label beer. Or crab cakes. Or John Waters. Or Casimir Pulaski.
Personally, I like Maryland. It's easy to dance to and has a good beat. It's close to Delaware, and that's a small thing we can all be happy about.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:26 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,998,227 times
They had some political difficulties back when what with governors Spiro T. Agnew and I guess Marvin Mandel being charged with crimes. And then Baltimore developed a pretty negative image. So maybe they're "hated" because of Agnew and David Simon. Well sort-of, probably other stuff too. Also they might not be hated at all.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:12 AM

7,750 posts, read 6,167,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't think people hate Maryland. It's Baltimore that's disliked. Having been there, I am so shocked and saddened for the true citizens of Baltimore that are normal everyday people just striving to live a clean life and provide for their families. It's those damn thugs that have basically taken over everywhere outside of downtown Baltimore that has just destroyed the city.
Everything outside of downtown being destroyed is a Gross exaggeration; however, I understand, and agree where you're coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or