U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:14 PM

15,558 posts, read 17,783,363 times

Advertisements

28 is too old. I mean, you have what, 50 more years, 60, maybe 70 max?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM

46 posts, read 47,024 times
Default Fly, be free.

I lived in Michigan my whole life. Married at 26, divorced at 27 1/2, left Michigan at 28 with an outstanding woman 20 years older than me and moved to New York. Best thing I ever did. Left NY at 29 1/2 and moved to Hawaii. Six months later we are now planning a move back east but in the south. Our culture is designed to keep us in one place and conform. Be free. Do as you like. The world is yours. Family will have to visit and if they don't shame on them for staying in one place and grieving over your absence. As many of the people here have already stated...IT'S NEVER TO LATE FOR ANYTHING!

Advice...start with writing down the things you enjoy the most in your leisure time and go from there. It's by far the most important thing. If you are happy, everything else such as jobs, etc. will fall into place. I promise.

Good luck to you. You'll find your way if you want it bad enough.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 PM

161 posts, read 182,215 times
If you're looking in the midwest/rustbelt region, i'd focus on Columbus and Minneapolis/St. Paul if those cities meet your other needs outside of having a large gay population. The cities of Indianapolis, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit are all pretty similar in my opinion in young professional gay population. I'd put Rochester, Buffalo and Milwaukee after those and think they'd still leave lots to be desired.

One thing to consider is that cities with a growing economy tend to have more gay people our age mainly because they have more people our age in general. A region like Detroit might be twice as big as Columbus but the economy, culture and QOL in Columbus tends to attract more young people and thus I've heard has a larger young, gay population.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:06 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
If you're looking in the midwest/rustbelt region, i'd focus on Columbus and Minneapolis/St. Paul if those cities meet your other needs outside of having a large gay population. The cities of Indianapolis, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Detroit are all pretty similar in my opinion in young professional gay population. I'd put Rochester, Buffalo and Milwaukee after those and think they'd still leave lots to be desired.

One thing to consider is that cities with a growing economy tend to have more gay people our age mainly because they have more people our age in general. A region like Detroit might be twice as big as Columbus but the economy, culture and QOL in Columbus tends to attract more young people and thus I've heard has a larger young, gay population.
Yup, that's totally true. I've been applying to jobs in Columbus, actually. The only horrific thing that scares me about it is that it's FLAT and surrounded by corn fields forever. Same with Indianapolis.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 AM

15,558 posts, read 17,783,363 times
Columbus is actually reasonably close (~ 1.5 - 2 hour drive) to some gorgeous Appalachian country. Hocking Hills for a start.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:56 AM

596 posts, read 652,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Right now I'm 27, but I have a strong desire to leave Connecticut. I am looking into other cities that are affordable, with a large gay population. I have a master's in accounting with 5 yrs of experience, so I don't think finding work would be a big problem in my field. So here is my plan...

Right now I am living in a tiny apartment paying $1,434 per month, on month-to-month. What I want to do now is move into a far superior apartment here in CT for a 6-month short-term lease for significantly cheaper. The short-term lease would end in June 2012, which is when I would then plan to move out of state. In the meantime, I would be using those 6 months to research and visit other cities, while continuing to gain work experience and save money. I think this would work out better than making a major move now. By the time I make the move, I would be 28 years old.

Is this too old to start a new life in a new city? Will it be hard to meet people and make new friends? The cities I am most considering are the following:
  • Columbus, OH
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Austin, TX
  • Orlando, FL
  • Boston, MA
  • Nashville, TN
Again, I want affordable and large gay population. I also don't want to experience too much culture shock. And I do NOT want to live in a city with many superficial and/or pretentious people!
At 28 years of age, shouldn't you be thinking about retiring?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,037,494 times
I've rebooted my life at 22, 25, 30, 33, 40 and 50. Its never too late and always a new adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.