U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm 27, but I have a strong desire to leave Connecticut. I am looking into other cities that are affordable, with a large gay population. I have a master's in accounting with 5 yrs of experience, so I don't think finding work would be a big problem in my field. So here is my plan...

Right now I am living in a tiny apartment paying $1,434 per month, on month-to-month. What I want to do now is move into a far superior apartment here in CT for a 6-month short-term lease for significantly cheaper. The short-term lease would end in June 2012, which is when I would then plan to move out of state. In the meantime, I would be using those 6 months to research and visit other cities, while continuing to gain work experience and save money. I think this would work out better than making a major move now. By the time I make the move, I would be 28 years old.

Is this too old to start a new life in a new city? Will it be hard to meet people and make new friends? The cities I am most considering are the following:
  • Columbus, OH
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Austin, TX
  • Orlando, FL
  • Boston, MA
  • Nashville, TN
Again, I want affordable and large gay population. I also don't want to experience too much culture shock. And I do NOT want to live in a city with many superficial and/or pretentious people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 05:05 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times
LOL, 28 too old to move and start again. I did that at 28... and 36... and 45. It is never too late to try something or someplace new if you have the heart and desire for it.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:19 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
It's absolutely not too late.

My parents didn't finally, totally settle in MA until they were in their mid-40's (dad was military... we bounced around a lot).

Old 11-26-2011, 05:33 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's absolutely not too late.

My parents didn't finally, totally settle in MA until they were in their mid-40's (dad was military... we bounced around a lot).
I hear you about parents. Mine are in their mid-late 70's and they want to sell their houses and move 1/2 way across the Country to where there is better fishing for Dad, and Mom can be closer to the newest Granddaughter (Maine to Michigan). LOL

Old 11-26-2011, 05:40 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I hear you about parents. Mine are in their mid-late 70's and they want to sell their houses and move 1/2 way across the Country to where there is better fishing for Dad, and Mom can be closer to the newest Granddaughter (Maine to Michigan). LOL
My middle sister moved out to San Francisco a year ago for school and absolutely loves it here in CA; she has no intention of moving back. Neither do I. We have a younger sister who's about to turn 15, and my parents have said that if she goes to school out here as well, or she moves out for school somewhere in the Boston/NYC area and is doing well, they may sell their place in MA and buy a place in Sonoma. They'll be in their late 50's/early 60's at that point.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM

98 posts, read 187,158 times
It's never "too late." However, of the cities that you have listed, I would submit that only Austin and perhaps Boston have viable economies to make relocating a "wise" idea,especially if you have never lived there before.

I'm 45 and if my current employment situation "falls through" I'll be relocating to North Dakota for work. This time when I relocate, I'll have the money and a decent plan to do so.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
No and a sleeper could be Rochester NY: GLBT Community - Rochester Wiki

Rochester, NY apartments and classified listings from the The Renters Guide Magazine.

Finger Lakes Jobs

Old 11-26-2011, 06:15 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
I'm actually leaning toward Atlanta. The population and gay community is huge, yet it's affordable and has a suburban feel to it. And it doesn't get too cold. The only drawback I can think of is that the traffic is UNBELIEVABLE, as I have driven in it before.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 AM

16,017 posts, read 19,661,658 times
My son, also gay...which only matters because you said you were....moved to Portland last yr. He loves it, he says that it is very accepting, and he seems to have alot of friends, and there are lots of nice things to do locally and regionally. It also seems, guessing here, that somewhat more reasonable rent prices. He had lived in Denver for several yrs, which he also liked. But, He loves Portland. Just something that might offer you more options. Also, re; too late.........never, you are in your prime of life for just such a move...you have some life experiences, some work history that you might not have had earlier..Go for it!

Old 11-27-2011, 02:45 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Right now I'm 27, but I have a strong desire to leave Connecticut. I am looking into other cities that are affordable, with a large gay population. I have a master's in accounting with 5 yrs of experience, so I don't think finding work would be a big problem in my field. So here is my plan...

Right now I am living in a tiny apartment paying $1,434 per month, on month-to-month. What I want to do now is move into a far superior apartment here in CT for a 6-month short-term lease for significantly cheaper. The short-term lease would end in June 2012, which is when I would then plan to move out of state. In the meantime, I would be using those 6 months to research and visit other cities, while continuing to gain work experience and save money. I think this would work out better than making a major move now. By the time I make the move, I would be 28 years old.

Is this too old to start a new life in a new city? Will it be hard to meet people and make new friends? The cities I am most considering are the following:
  • Columbus, OH
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Austin, TX
  • Orlando, FL
  • Boston, MA
  • Nashville, TN
Again, I want affordable and large gay population. I also don't want to experience too much culture shock. And I do NOT want to live in a city with many superficial and/or pretentious people!
What is your criteria for a city besides large gay community and affordable? If you are looking to upgrade your apartment living and cut costs down and live in an affordable area you can immediately eliminate Boston right off the list. What are you looking for in a city, you can find affordable with a large gay community in many many metros areas all over. What are your preferences for...

Climate
Topography
Recreation
Line of work/Education
Culture
Nightlife
Size of city/metro
Mass transit or driving
etc...

also I think the answer is pretty clear that you're never too old to fulfill your hearts desire. You don't need a second opinion for that question though, always go with your own gut feeling. Your intuition is usually always right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.