U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which tropical US city has the best public transportation 24 hrs?
Los Angeles, CA 6 50.00%
Honolulu, HI or Hawaii (general) 2 16.67%
Miami, FL 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:27 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
None. The only city in the country w/ 24 hr public transit is NYC.
Not true! Off the top, Chicago, Philly, Detroit and I believe, Miami all have 24 hour transit service. Hell, we have it here in Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 11:40 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,787,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well I've heard San Diego was Mediterranean, so I assumed Los Angeles (being only an hour away) is the same. Maybe they are arid-Mediterranean because of the desert.
Yes, in fact all of coastal California all the way from just south of the border up through San Francisco is classified as Mediterranean.

LA an San Diego are on the drier side of Mediterranean and are almost semi-arid. The winters always get enough rainfall to greenup the hillsides. The rest of the year is dry (bone dry in the summer). In fact Denver, CO believe it or not gets a bit LESS precip than LA, but its more evenly distributed through the year, with its infamous freak winter blizzards.

San Francisco is on the wetter side of Mediterranean, just short of the marine west coast climate of the pacific northwest, but its dry enough in the summer (it gets fog settling in, but not much actual rain).

LA is definitely NOT!! tropical. It has great mild winters, but it can get a little chilly in the winter. It does freeze once or two overnight just about every year. (The Angeles Crest highway of the San Gabriel mountains sometimes gets closed in the winter because of avalanches).

However, Hawaii and Miami are truly tropical. Those places are in tropical climate regions, and never, ever experience frosts and freezes (at least not on a regular annual basis).

Old 11-27-2011, 12:43 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well I've heard San Diego was Mediterranean, so I assumed Los Angeles (being only an hour away) is the same. Maybe they are arid-Mediterranean because of the desert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes, in fact all of coastal California all the way from just south of the border up through San Francisco is classified as Mediterranean.

LA an San Diego are on the drier side of Mediterranean
You were misinformed. California may have Mediterranean type climate but they are no where close to being Mediterranean or on any side of the Mediterranean.

Only Southern Europe, Northern Africa and parts of Western Middle East are Mediterranean.

Italy is Subtropical, Mediterranean and have a Mediterranean climate.
LA is subtropical, Pacific, and has a Mediterranean climate.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM

22,143 posts, read 23,668,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You were misinformed. California may have Mediterranean type climate but they are no where close to being Mediterranean or on any side of the Mediterranean.

Only Southern Europe, Northern Africa and parts of Western Middle East are Mediterranean.

Uh, my guess is that they already knew that and quibbling is fun.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:38 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,787,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Thats what I meant.

I meant Mediterranean climate. Not the Mediterranean as the region of the world that was home to the cradle of western civilization.

It is an official climate type that is found at approximately at the same latitudes and on the same sides of the continents as the Mediterranean.

This includes outside the Mediterranean region: California, Central Chile, the Cape region of South Africa, and the southern edge of Australia. These are also the major wine growing regions of the world.

Anywhere with hot, dry summers (although mild right on the coast) with mild-cool, somewhat rainy winters is classfied as Mediterranean.

Google: Koppen climate classification. It is the standard used everywhere for climate classification.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:58 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,122,164 times
Honolulu

Old 11-28-2011, 10:53 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,420,477 times
Miami. L.A isnt tropical and I don't count Honolulu as a real city. and you can catch the bus 22.5 hours a day in Orlando lol.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 PM

704 posts, read 1,326,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Miami. L.A isnt tropical and I don't count Honolulu as a real city. and you can catch the bus 22.5 hours a day in Orlando lol.
how is honolulu not a real city?

Old 11-29-2011, 12:00 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
If Honolulu is not a real city you need to start drinking bottled water only.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM

35 posts, read 81,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not true! Off the top, Chicago, Philly, Detroit and I believe, Miami all have 24 hour transit service. Hell, we have it here in Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Yes.

New York and Chicago are the only cities with 24/7 rail service (although both cities have a smaller night network than day network). But there are also other cities that have 24/7 bus service, such as MPLS, Detroit, and I believe Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or