U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:29 AM

21 posts, read 76,406 times

Advertisements

These don’t have to be commercial or feature films, in fact I am more interested in student and independent films….but films only, not theater. Also, I don’t care about “making it big,” this is purely for the fun and artistic side of it. Please do not factor in cost of living, weather, or anything else in your opinion on places you are going to suggest…I only care about acting/auditioning opportunities. Also, please don’t assume that just because a city is rated high as a good place to “make movies” that it is also a good place to live as an actor. For example, New Orleans may offer a lot of film incentives but if the film is cast and full of crew before it ever gets to New Orleans that does not make New Orleans a good place for an actor to live and find auditions. (I am not saying this is how it is in New Orleans, just using it as an example). Any and all suggestions appreciated. Any links or background knowledge you can provide to support your opinion is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 AM

6,436 posts, read 9,958,163 times
Atlanta, GA of course. Half of the Hollywood industry is there and films movies and tv shows all the time. There are always auditions. You might find some auditions in Chicago. But Chicago is mostly for broadway. Dallas is another one where you will find acting auditions. I used to live in TX and most film auditions took place there or in Austin. Lots of casting agencies in both cities that have connections to the ones in LA. I can name several actors/actresses that became famous relocating from Texas to Los Angeles. But you'll have a much better chance overall of having an acting career (outside of LA & NYC) in Atlanta.

Last edited by allenk893; 11-27-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Anybody else?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM

allenk893, thanks for your reply. Do you feel like Atlanta is more commercial than Austin as far as the type of films being made there? Which of the two do you think is making more indie/student films?

Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Easily Atlanta.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:31 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,966,698 times
Atlanta hands down. The place is the new Hollywood, No. 3 in the nation in film and TV production. Several major L.A. casting agencies (as well as craft support businesses) have opened branch offices and / or fully relocated their operations from Southern California to Georgia to get in on the action. This is not made up. It's fact. Google it.

Atlanta is where it's at, and will be for some time to come. What initially attracted the industry in starting three years ago was the lucrative tax incentives offered by the state; now that the industry is there, they've seen so many more advantages to film/TV making in Georgia: Diverse population, scenery, experienced and talented workforce. Sound stages are going up all over town. EUE Screen Gems Atlanta Studios has been open barely a year and is already expanding their operation. Raleigh Studios Atlanta has bought up large tracts of land surrounding the small country town of Senoia, Ga., to transform it into a living backlot. Tyler Perry, Turner Broadcasting, etc. etc. ... the list goes on.

On the subject of "extras" alone, the most lucrative "extra" acting job in the entire TV industry right now is for ZOMBIES in AMC's "The Walking Dead," filmed entirely in Atlanta. And those "extras" get paid top dollar rates comparable to what normally is given to walk-on speaking roles. I have so many friends working in the industry now, it's impossible to keep up with them all or even try to "catch me sitting in the jury box tonight at 10 on such and such ..." None of them are getting rich or famous, granted ... but that's not what you were wanting anyway, right?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 AM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Apparently a lot of films are made in Louisiana, including New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport since Louisiana gives massive tax breaks to the film industry. A lot of recent things I got at Redbox were filmed in Louisiana, for example Trespass with Nicholas Cage was made in Shreveport though they didn't name the setting, though I think they showed a louisiana license plate. A lot of films made in Louisiana don't really name it for some reason. Drive Angry was filmed in Louisiana too, as was a bunch of straight to DVD films with the WWF people and 50 Cent and such.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,035,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Apparently a lot of films are made in Louisiana, including New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport since Louisiana gives massive tax breaks to the film industry. A lot of recent things I got at Redbox were filmed in Louisiana, for example Trespass with Nicholas Cage was made in Shreveport though they didn't name the setting, though I think they showed a louisiana license plate. A lot of films made in Louisiana don't really name it for some reason. Drive Angry was filmed in Louisiana too, as was a bunch of straight to DVD films with the WWF people and 50 Cent and such.
Detroit, and to a lesser extent, Michigan, is like that too. A lot of big name movies list places where they filmed scenes of movies but it's only a minority actually name Detroit as the story location. It's sort of odd watching giant robots destroy Los Angeles and Chicago and then suddenly see places in your own backyard randomly mixed into the shot on multiple occasions.

But the stupid thing is that Michigan's governor wants to get rid of the tax incentives because "it's costing the state too much money". Did I mention he was republican? Anyway, that's probably waaaay OT.

I'd suggest Atlanta too, just because Detroit's opportunities are sort of uncertain going into the next year.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 AM

1,998 posts, read 3,034,740 times
Miami (Southeastern Region)
Atlanta (Georgia)
Chicago (Midwest Region)
San Francisco (No. Cali Region)
San Diego (San Diego Co.)
Las Vegas (Nevada)

http://www.sag.org/branches

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 11-28-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 PM

816 posts, read 1,587,341 times
New Orleans and Orlando were doing well for awhile, but now Atlanta has pretty much trumped them quite easily. Austin does have a good bit of indie films come out of it...but it's still more of a music/tech city. There is a bit going on in Wilmington, NC of all places, but I wouldn't move there with any hopes.
SF and Orlando have a lot of digital production. There are a lot of people who hang out in Las Vegas also, lots of makeup folks.
There are a lot of actors who have bought up property around Atlanta in recent years though.
LA still has the lionshare easily, then New York, I would probably agree Atlanta is 3rd...There is a lot of media there in general, not just film/tv... but CNN/Weather Channel/TNT/TBS/Cox/Cumulus/Cartoon Network/Adult Swim which could have similar gigs/work for industry people. They also just opened up Screen Gems.
I think a lot of the people that show up in Austin or NO just bring their crews directly from LA for awhile to shoot... I'm pretty sure Atlanta has a strong actual workforce and lots of studios/production/etc at this point.
OP, for your interests eh... just seems you could pick any city with a decent film school?
You should probably ask yourself a different question. Plenty of people don't necessarily want to make it big... but what would be better, actually working IN industry and interacting with screenwriters, directors, actors, producers, with hopes of landing something, or having to work something you aren't interested in with hopes of landing something...I think most people would choose to still work IN the industry, even if they only get bit parts.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 11-28-2011 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or