Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

FWIW Philly also has a young and vibrant core, less costly than some other major cities and is either the top or second rated life sciences and medicine city in the country, much less costly than Boston in that regard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 03:28 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Vanderbilt has a good medical system. Nashville also sounds like a good fit for you.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
You might look into living in the Montrose or Museum District neighborhoods of Houston and working in the Texas Medical Center (largest medical district in the country) which is literally right next door to those great neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrick84 View Post
I'm finishing up my doctorate in physical therapy in a few months and i've worked super hard the last 10 years to ensure that I will be able to expect competitive offers in any area of at least moderate demand. I've also lived in southwest OH most of my life and I'm ready to get out. I'm posting to get suggestions on places to consider moving after graduation.

A little info about me that might help:
I'm single with no kids and currently live in an up-and-coming part of Cincinnati. I absolutely love the hole in the wall bars, coffee shops, live music, and availability of public parks and recreation opportunities (sports leagues, etc). I love the outdoors and staying active. I have seasonal affective disorder and really want to end up someplace that gets way more sunshine than Cincinnati. I am also aware that all of this makes me sound like a huge hippie but I don't consider myself as such. I'm not into politics, or religion. Staying within 10 hours or so if Cincinnati would be nice so I could be within driving distance of family but this is a top priority.

I'm planning on buying a small house with lots of natural light. I'm fairly handy, and am prepared to do my own renovations if I can save money versus buying a nicer more expensive home.

I will have a LOT of debt after I graduate (like 80k) since I've been in school forever, but my job should enable me to pay it off fairly quickly and secure loans for major purchases like a house and "fun car".

Places I know:
Gulf coast of FL - went to college down there. Loved the weather and the views/sunsets but too touristy and lousy nightlife.

Columbus OH - great atmosphere, diversity of residents, plenty to do, but awful weather, winters last forever

New England / DC area - beautiful scenery in the summer but don't think I could handle that much snow or clouds in the winter

Pittsburgh PA - too dirty, too gloomy

San Francisco - love the atmosphere and fantastic restaurants and wine; hard to get around the city unless you take the train

Phoenix area - Love having the mountains close by but missed the green space while I was there; I don't mind intense summers tho

Colorado: I've never been but I'm VERY curious and I've heard great things about the Denver area so I wanted to include it on this list. I don't ski but I love to hike and climb.

Charleston SC - favorite city in the world, but I've only lived there for 1 summer, June - Aug. My favorite parts were the sunshine, the history (tours, buildings, etc were awesome), the music & food, beaches, and night life.

Any input would be fantastic. Thanks for reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.