Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 12:34 PM

12 posts, read 13,381 times

Advertisements

Hi. I’m a 40-year-old single guy who has the ability to work remotely for his company. As a result, I literally have the ability to relocate anywhere I want in the USA. I know this forum attracts people who have an interest in cities, quality of life and seeking out the best places to live in the country, so I figured I’d come here to see if anyone has recommendations that I haven’t already considered.

Over the past 20 years I’ve lived mostly in warm-weather areas and large cities, including Los Angeles, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Austin. It’s not that I dislike these cities, but after dealing with horrible traffic and large geographical footprints, I’ve decided that I’d like to focus more on smaller cities and towns of under 500,000 people. I’m even considering extremely small towns if they have what I’m looking for. I’ve also decided that I’m willing to go back to living in a cold-weather city as long as that city offers what I’m looking for.

I’d rather stay away from cities in the Pacific Time Zone. I work for an Atlanta company, so I work an east coast business day and would rather avoid having to get up really early in the morning, which I would have to do if I were on the west coast. I’m more of a night owl than a morning person. Mountain Time isn’t ideal, but I’d be willing to deal with it in the right city.

As far as the housing market is concerned, I’m looking for cities/towns that offer a reasonable selection of homes in the $250K - $300K range.

I’m also a big foodie and love to cook, so I’m looking at cities that have a great restaurant scene as well as grocery stores/markets that have ingredients not always found at national chain supermarkets. This could mean having a Whole Foods or one of their competitors, or other similar options.

Finally, I’m looking for a place that doesn’t have a “generic strip mall sprawl” feel to it, which is unfortunately the case in so many U.S. cities nowadays. I like cities with visual character. Great scenery is also a bonus.

So far, the following cities have definitely caught my attention:

- Portland, ME
- Rockland, ME
- Portsmouth, NH
- Burlington, VT
- Asheville, NC
- Durham, NC

I’ve even looked at cities as small and remote as Telluride, CO. Basically, I want a place where I can build a social life for myself and put down roots, with the assumption that I’ll have steady employment with my company for the long term, which I believe to be true.

Given the above list of cities that are currently topping my list, I’d be interested to hear about other cities with a metro population approximately under 500,000 that any of you feel I should consider. I’ve had my eye mostly on northern New England recently, but I’m open to all options.

I’d love to hear any suggestions you have, as well as the reason why. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 12:54 PM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
I have a career in Architectural Lighting Design that I hope eventually I could choose where I would like to live. My criteria is about the same as your. As I love my hometown of Pittsburgh and want to return as I do think it offers a very reasonable quality of life for the price with cultural attributes with cool neighborhoods.

But I always really liked Charlottesville, VA. Shenandoah and the blue ridges are one of my favorite places and it's proximity to the mountains and ocean is ideal. Plus it is a cool town. That or Roanoke.

You better have money for Telluride. I lived in Colorado for about 3 years. That is pretty much extremely wealthy westerners buying out the town for their own luxury estate type of place. Similar to Aspen or Sun Valley, ID. Beautiful but expensive.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM

12 posts, read 13,381 times
Thanks for the advice, KingKrab. Charlottesville and Roanoke are also on my list, but a bit further down. I do plan to see both cities. Probably should have listed them. My UVA-grad friend is in love with Charlottesville.

Telluride is indeed very expensive, but there are actually a lot of desirable options in my price range there, though mostly in the condo market. Ultimately, though, I believe Telluride may be a bit too small and isolated for me, and I'm not a skier.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior70 View Post
Hi. I’m a 40-year-old single guy who has the ability to work remotely for his company. As a result, I literally have the ability to relocate anywhere I want in the USA. I know this forum attracts people who have an interest in cities, quality of life and seeking out the best places to live in the country, so I figured I’d come here to see if anyone has recommendations that I haven’t already considered.

Over the past 20 years I’ve lived mostly in warm-weather areas and large cities, including Los Angeles, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Austin. It’s not that I dislike these cities, but after dealing with horrible traffic and large geographical footprints, I’ve decided that I’d like to focus more on smaller cities and towns of under 500,000 people. I’m even considering extremely small towns if they have what I’m looking for. I’ve also decided that I’m willing to go back to living in a cold-weather city as long as that city offers what I’m looking for.

I’d rather stay away from cities in the Pacific Time Zone. I work for an Atlanta company, so I work an east coast business day and would rather avoid having to get up really early in the morning, which I would have to do if I were on the west coast. I’m more of a night owl than a morning person. Mountain Time isn’t ideal, but I’d be willing to deal with it in the right city.

As far as the housing market is concerned, I’m looking for cities/towns that offer a reasonable selection of homes in the $250K - $300K range.

I’m also a big foodie and love to cook, so I’m looking at cities that have a great restaurant scene as well as grocery stores/markets that have ingredients not always found at national chain supermarkets. This could mean having a Whole Foods or one of their competitors, or other similar options.

Finally, I’m looking for a place that doesn’t have a “generic strip mall sprawl” feel to it, which is unfortunately the case in so many U.S. cities nowadays. I like cities with visual character. Great scenery is also a bonus.

So far, the following cities have definitely caught my attention:

- Portland, ME
- Rockland, ME
- Portsmouth, NH
- Burlington, VT
- Asheville, NC
- Durham, NC

I’ve even looked at cities as small and remote as Telluride, CO. Basically, I want a place where I can build a social life for myself and put down roots, with the assumption that I’ll have steady employment with my company for the long term, which I believe to be true.

Given the above list of cities that are currently topping my list, I’d be interested to hear about other cities with a metro population approximately under 500,000 that any of you feel I should consider. I’ve had my eye mostly on northern New England recently, but I’m open to all options.

I’d love to hear any suggestions you have, as well as the reason why. Thank you for your

help!
In NY, areas like Ithaca, Binghamton, Utica-Rome, Plattsburgh, Glens Falls and Kingston may work. If you want go a bit bigger, Syracuse or the Poughkeepsie metro may work too.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
[QUOTE As far as the housing market is concerned, I’m looking for cities/towns that offer a reasonable selection of homes in the $250K - $300K range.

Finally, I’m looking for a place that doesn’t have a “generic strip mall sprawl” feel to it, which is unfortunately the case in so many U.S. cities nowadays. I like cities with visual character. Great scenery is also a bonus. ]QUOTE

Durham, NC would be a great fit for you and provides the criteria mentioned. It offers quite a bit to do for a city it's size and at an affordable price in terms of housing and overall cost of living. The food scene is quite good as well with lots of very good restaurants and quality places to buy food like Whole Foods Markets, local Coops, Gourmet Shops and amazing farmers markets. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,248 times
Roadwarrior,

I'm retiring the end of this year, I've visited 49 states both rural and urban areas. So basically I've seen a lot of the country. Here are my thoughts on finding a location for you. First, I think I'd look for "smaller college towns" you're more likely to get a little culture as well as possibly access to organic farmers markets, and some good food. Next on the food front, I'd avoid the midwest just in general. Pretty bland food choices. Also, might look for a community with a high ethnic mix, that might widen the food possibilites.

I'm retiring in the Pacific time zone so that doesn't work for you.

You might thry Simsbury, CT or a small "Ivy/liberal arts college town". Maybe northern NJ. Tenn or KY might be interesting.

For me, I don't like humidity and I love the outdoors and mild climates, I'm retiring in Oregon in a small town in the foothills of the Cascades. Perfect for me.

Good luck

Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In NY, areas like Ithaca, Binghamton, Utica-Rome, Plattsburgh, Glens Falls and Kingston may work. If you want go a bit bigger, Syracuse or the Poughkeepsie metro may work too.
Out of these places, Ithaca is exactly what you are looking for and might be more affordable than any of the cities on the original list. It has organic markets, co-ops and a big Wegmans. There are 2 four colleges in Ivy League Cornell and Ithaca College. It has a good arts scene and is in the Finger Lakes region. Visit Ithaca

Another Upstate NY community that would fit is Corning. It is home to Corning Inc., has a few arts offerings, shopping there and in nearby Horseheads(a suburb of Elmira) and a Wegmans. Corning Area Chamber of Commerce Home

Experience Corning, NY

Here are some good websites you may be interested in: Wegmans

Upstate New York Real Estate

Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 PM

726 posts, read 2,147,974 times
If you're willing to live in a condo, Boulder CO would be a fit. Good restaurants and markets. Not much a strip mall feel, great scenery, sunny weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.