Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

By that I mean not the standard American accent, as obviously that is an accent too.

Certain cities are known for accents, but in which cities are those accents that prevalent? I found the Boston accent more prevalent in that city than I expected (I expected to hear only working class/older people speak it). I only heard the classic New York accent a few times in Manhattan. I'm guessing cities like Chicago might actually have a high proportion if you consider the way they speak to be a distinct accent. What would be your estimates for each city? Say if Chicago was 70%, and New York maybe 40% (just to give an example)? Maybe Charleston or Virginia Beach more like 15-20%?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Outside of Manhattan the New York accent is heard all over the boroughs and even different degrees of it in Long Island and North Jersey but it is still can be found in Manhattan. Definitely one of the strongest along with Boston and Philly.

The Philadelphia accent seems to be one of the biggest of any city proper because outside of Center City the native population is still very high for such a large city. The Philly accent can also be heard in South Jersey, PA suburbs and even Delaware and the South Jersey Shore

Boston accent is definitely big all over the Boston area, maybe even covers the largest area of any "distinct" accent, although I would guess not as much in the city itself due to gentrification.

Chicago accent wasn't as prevalant or distinct as I expected, same for most other cities.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Jackson, Mississippi

Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Jackson, Mississippi
(Best Brad Pitt in Fight Club voice) GOOD ANSWER.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:20 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
In cities that do not lie within the "General American English" zones of the Midland or West, distinct regional accents are going to be most pronounced in those places that have the lowest percentage of highly educated people and transplants.

Manhattan has so many transplants and wealthy, highly educated residents that it's probably the part of the NYC metro where you are the least likely to hear the native accent.

You won't hear the Boston accent much around the universities, in part because many students are either transplants or come from well-educated families, but also because the regional dialect has been gravitating towards the features of General American English for some time now. The only young people with noticeable Boston accents usually come from urban working class backgrounds.

This trend towards General American English has affected almost every region of the country, with one possible exception. The region that seems most resistant to this change (in part because of its own competing vowel shift) is that of the "Northern Cities" of the Great Lakes; and for that reason I would estimate that the major cities with the highest percentage of residents with distinct local accents include Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Milwaukee, among others.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
By that I mean not the standard American accent, as obviously that is an accent too.

Certain cities are known for accents, but in which cities are those accents that prevalent? I found the Boston accent more prevalent in that city than I expected (I expected to hear only working class/older people speak it). I only heard the classic New York accent a few times in Manhattan. I'm guessing cities like Chicago might actually have a high proportion if you consider the way they speak to be a distinct accent. What would be your estimates for each city? Say if Chicago was 70%, and New York maybe 40% (just to give an example)? Maybe Charleston or Virginia Beach more like 15-20%?
The Chicago accent is more hype than anything on the ground these days. If you wander through the metro area you're going to hear it spoken very rarely, and probably then in older more established neighborhoods. I never hear it on the north side, and there are different accents that I pick up from different races as well. I wouldn't really say I hear the Chicago accent spoken by blacks or hispanics as it stereotypically heard. I don't hear it in the burbs, and the city is only 33% white.

I'd say it's a very small %

Old 11-29-2011, 12:29 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The Chicago accent is more hype than anything on the ground these days. If you wander through the metro area you're going to hear it spoken very rarely, and probably then in older more established neighborhoods. I never hear it on the north side, and there are different accents that I pick up from different races as well. I wouldn't really say I hear the Chicago accent spoken by blacks or hispanics as it stereotypically heard. I don't hear it in the burbs, and the city is only 33% white.

I've definitely heard Hispanics (and even some Asians)with the Chicago accent. Alot. Not too many black people unless they're cops lol. It's more common in the burbs.

I've heard more NYC accents in North Carolina and Florida than Manhattan but in Long Island, and Queens you definitely hear it.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

What is the Chicago accent to you? When I typically think of it, I think of the accent you'd hear all around the Great Lakes. Like the way Bonnie Hunt and Suze Orman talk. All the people I've met from Chicago have this type of accent. It's still an accent. It's not General American English.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:22 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
See Northern cities vowel shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I would say New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.