U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbrite View Post
Hello all,

My husband, myself and our toddler currently live in Minneapolis. Husband has an interview for a job in Rochester, NY. Pay would be much better than the basically nothing we're living on now, barely making ends meet here in Minneapolis.

I was on the Rochester forum and it doesn't sound like a place we'd like. But I do have a brother in NYC so maybe that will help. Thinking maybe we can visit him once a month or he visits us in Rochester if we do live there.

Generally we like Minneapolis except it's not very diverse, and seems very cookie-cutter in the type of people you meet here. I'm currently a stay-at-home Mom and am mortified by the other stay-at-homes here, they seem very rigid and have very OCD personalities, which is basically the opposite of me, laid-back and friendly. They also seem very, well ,boring to be honest. We've lived in Minneapolis for about 1 and a half years and have had the hardest time meeting friends. Being a stay-at-home Mom doesn't help obviously, but I've reached out to other Moms many times and they just seem to have their own group of friends already and it just doesn't feel like the kindess is reciprocated basically. Everyone else out here seems very well-off financially and have their own little groups and cliques. We feel like outsiders, and just want to make a decent living (being able to have some spending money after rent and utility bills) and make at least a couple of good friends.

If my husband gets the job in Rochester, should we move? Also, both he and I are in the government field and have had basically very little luck in finding competitive jobs in government here in Minneapolis, we're barely making ends meet which is part of the reason we want to move. If we were to find a better job (and myself to land any kind of professional job) here in Minneapolis we would consider staying, because it is family-oriented. But I would not mind moving because I don't know how long we'd have to wait for our financial situation to improve and like I said, we haven't met any friends out here. My husband has worked in 2 different entry-level jobs in government since we moved here and neither workplaces had people we would even consider as friends, they are either very rude and demeaning and just not our type.

I love college towns too, I don't know if this will help, but I'm just trying to figure out what we should do. He's all excited about the Rochester interview but after reading the posts on their forum I am not.

Would love any genuine, helpful advice!!!! Thanks. My husband has been applying for jobs in Minneapolis and all over the country and the Rochester one is his first interview in about a year. If he gets the job, should we move to Rochester or stay in Minneapolis, hoping to get an interview in a place better than Rochester (for a lack of a better way to put it) or even waiting to see if we can get a better job in Minneapolis........

Would love any helpful thoughts, ideas, sharing of experiences, etc. Thank you.
Might want to give Austin Texas a go.....sounds like a good fit with your needs/family and job in gov connection....very diverse--you won't be bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:58 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
With your experience, I wonder whether you may be able to find something at one of the many public or private universities in the Rochester area. Perhaps as adjunct faculty or in a non-teaching position? Especially if part time work would be ok for you. I'm sorry, my experience does not lie in those areas, so I have no idea what salary to expect those jobs to pay. But I do know that in the Rochester area, you can live more comfortably on less money, than you can in many other places. So perhaps taking a look at university openings is another idea for you?

My own personal opinion is that if you and your husband feel you have given Minneapolis a chance, you truly don't believe it's the right fit for you, and the right opportunity presents itself, maybe you should go for the new opportunity. Since you have experience moving with the military, you must have a good sense of whether you are just feeling 'homesick' or unsettled, or whether M'polis really just isn't right for you.
I was thinking the same thing in terms of looking at the universities and colleges in the area. https://psportal.its.rochester.edu/applyonline/

RIT - Employment at RIT

https://jobs.naz.edu/

SUNY Brockport Vacancies

https://jobs.sjfc.edu/applicants/jsp...=1322699711677

Roberts Wesleyan College - Outstanding Christian Higher Education

https://jobs.monroecc.edu/

https://jobs.geneseo.edu/applicants/...=1322699958371

HWS: Human Resources

Here's another place that may work too: Recruiter - Rochester, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 12-01-2011, 08:26 AM

247 posts, read 320,461 times
Thank you everyone I really appreciate your feedback and suggestions. I'll have to visit Austin one day Sherry Sasser, I have never been there but I do keep hearing really good things about this city. Daydreamin and CKHThankGod, thanks for the helpful suggestion about applying at college and unversities (and the very helpful links CKHThankGod, wow, these are great links) I think I will still to apply for college/university jobs if we end up in Rochester, but I've applied for these types of jobs both here (at the University of Minnesota) and over in New Jersey where we lived earlier but no luck at all. I think those employers are a bit insular if you ask me, they are more likely to hire you if you work there already, or at least have an academic or college teaching background. (my experience in education was middle school teaching and substitute teaching K-12) On one vacancy I applied for at the U-M here in the Twin Cities, they even admit that they prefer if you work there already. I think I may have to settle for enjoying the college town culture, but not necessarily working there. I applied for jobs with the U-M here for at about a year and a half and have never even landed an interview, although I did just apply for many more recently, and I know that the holidays in general are a very good time for getting a job.

I am learning much more about Rochester from all of you and I appreciate that! Also I am getting great job advice for me personally and that is super helpful. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 AM

What might help in Rochester is that most of the colleges are private.

Also, you might be interested in this organization: Hillside Family of Agencies

Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Thank you ckhthankgod, this looks like a really great organization.

Now I have to ask, is the job hiring process "more fair" at a private college/university rather than a public? I guess I just thought it was the opposite, since they are taxpayer- funded. But as I said, I've never had any luck with the publics, which has been perplexing. Not even an interview. Nothing. Ever. Which I just find very strange. I am not a person with a big ego or anything, but you always have to wonder about those things, you know?

I suppose I could ponder this question myself and maybe come up with some kind of response but it may not be the right one. My toddler was up all night so the brain is a bit fried right now. This reminds me of a question where you have to read between the lines to find the answer. (and if I could do that better I probably wouldn't be having half the problems I have )

I'm learning more in this particular forum than any other one since I joined City-Data. Thanks again. My husband is now saying that New York just may fit us better. No offense to the Twin Cities board, but I posted my dilemma there and while many viewed my post, I only received one response, which I thought to be a bit cold. Maybe that's what they mean by Minnesota Nice. It's like walking around with food stuck in your teeth, people will smile and say hello to you, but no one will tell you.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM

As for the private school hiring process, it may depend on the school and the position. I work at a private college and didn't know anyone that worked there. So, it is possible to get into the workforce of a college without knowing anyone.

Perhaps private schools could be options too: Browser Not Supported

Allendale Columbia School

There are quite faith based private schools too.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 PM

That's very helpful to know. Thanks for the tip, I really appreciate it. We'll keep everyone updated as to our situation. Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:12 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,899,381 times
I feel like you live a better life in any city where you have a job vs. a city where you don't have a job. I'm a Rochester native who has moved away and then come back (a "boomerang" if you will), it really is a great place to raise a family. The biggest deterrent for most people is our harsh winter.....but you are coming from Minneaplis! lol. I'd suggest that if possible you come with your husband to visit Rochester when he comes out for the interview. Get a feel for the area, visit some of the suburbs mentioned by others, and see if you could envision your family living here. If you are truly miserable being unemployed in Minneapolis I'd find it hard to think you wouldn't be happier with at least your husband having a job in Rochester.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 AM

120 posts, read 290,969 times
I say do it. I am in my late forties and have lived in Rochester for my whole life with the exception of 4 years in Boston in my 20s. We are looking to move now only because my company was sold and for what I do, I need to look elsewhere. I also think our city is underrated especially by locals.The "grass is always greener" mentality.

Commutes are short, which I see as plus.

Send me a pm if you have any questions. But this is a great place to raise a family. I have 2 children ages 8 and 11. The suburbs are varied. I live in the city of Rochester. Some people prefer the suburbs. You might want to consider renting for a year to find what area appeals to you.

A friend of mine (much younger than me) is webmaster for Rochestermommies RochesterMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community a group for mothers of young children. I know of a couple of moms with little kids that say this has been a Godsend as for meeting other moms and having playmates for their children. They have parent outings and mom and kid outings.

Here is the Website for the Strong Museum of Play Home | National Museum of Play

Eastman community Music School http://www.esm.rochester.edu/communi...ses/#Preschool
dnd Hochstein School of Music http://www.hochstein.org/ have some great classes for young Children.

There is nice county park system Parks | Monroe County, NY

I am home today (supposed to be cleaning but this is more fun).

We have a great County Library System and the various branches offer story hours, craft times etc. Most are free. http://www3.libraryweb.org/home2.aspx

Also many of the towns have great recreation programs for residents with free and low cost programs for families. And non-residents can usually particpate for a nominal fee after the resident registration period has ended.

As I think of more stuff Ill post it.

But again, if you have more questions either post them here or feel free to pm me.

NYC is about 350 miles away but Toronto is 160 miles away.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited by alw1964; 12-02-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Thank you to both of your for your messages. The idea of moving is really starting to grow on me more and more every day, and esp. Rochester.

I guess I am still clinging on to hope that I will get a job here, but each day that passes where I don't hear for an interview that hope gets slimmer. I am in a class for toddlers and parents through the school district here and I really enjoy these types of programs that the Twin Cities offer, however, it only meets once a week. I'm just ready to go back to the workforce and to meet new people, and will just have to hope that if we do move to Rochester I will have a better time getting a job there than I have here.

"I'm Informed 2"- I'm starting to agree with this point that I think may not be that obvious, that you are happier when you move somewhere where you have a job, well in our case it would be a much better job for my husband since I'm still looking for a job myself. I was discussing the potential move with my husband and I was like, let's say you get this new job, and we move out there. Hopefully YOU will be happier- then my husband looks at me and was like "uh, yes, it's a lot more money (so we won't have to struggle) and the job is in my field, so of course I'll be happer!" No brainer for him, I can see that.

So yes, ok, he's going to be happier. But then we still have me. Will MY life change for the better, will I land a job there easier, or will I move, yes, not struggle financially, but then have the same other problems there? You know, am I kidding myself that all I need to do is move, and everything will be fine you know?

But I guess the worst thing that could happen is that my husband doesn't get any more interviews, and I haven't had one in months, and if he were to pass over a job in Rochester, that would be a huge mistake.

If my husband doesn't land the job in Rochester, then for me personally, I think my absolute deadline where I say to myself "I need to move out of the Twin Cities" would be around mid February or so. (because I still hope that maybe I or my husband can land a job here during or right after the holidays) I think by February if it hasn't happened, it won't happen, and we just are not going to wait another whole year (as my husband's Mother suggested) for things to get better, our life has been on hold for much too long already. We just watch life pass by us every day, and we cannot continue doing that.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, we'll see what happens, but I dread Rochester no more now, I will welcome this city with open arms if we end up moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or