U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:51 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
My mistake of the 1 billinon. Superbowl gets anywhere from 30 million to 40 million viewers. Regardles, to dismiss sports as not part of a country's culture, even more so when it is rarely played outside of that country, is ignorant in itself.
No the last superbowl had ~110,000,000 viewers.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,055,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
My mistake of the 1 billinon. Superbowl gets anywhere from 30 million to 40 million viewers. Regardles, to dismiss sports as not part of a country's culture, even more so when it is rarely played outside of that country, is ignorant in itself.
I made a mistake as well. Domestic veiwership is ~100 mil. Not 1 mil.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:48 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,583,283 times
I have read of muslims in muslim countries commenting how loose and slutty American women are. Ah, if only it were true.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:38 PM

21,334 posts, read 21,906,527 times
Once when visiting the Louvre I accidentally mistook a Renaissance finger bowl for an ashtray and set my cigar down in it for a minute. Man talk about a bunch of uptight prisses, you'd think I just peed in the Lombardi Trophy or something! Anyways one of em asked where I was from and when I told him, he called me a Cretin. "Hey ignoramus,' I says, 'pretty sure Crete isn't anywhere near the U.S.A....U.S.A....U.S.A!"

Last edited by Ghengis; 11-30-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
I would imagine some ignorant things come from what our media sort-of exports to the world. That we're a nation that's a weird mix of bohemian New York intellectuals, cowboys, and snake-handling Fundamentalists. In fact it seems like even within the US I've seen people who think that the South is just full of snake-handling churches when really they're quite rare. (I think around 10,000 people, in the entire US, are a member of a "snake handling" congregation and that might even be a high-end estimate for all I know)

I'm trying to think of a specific incident I've seen or heard though and I admit I'm blanking. I do see online non-US people who are amazed when an American knows anything about their country. We do average as ignorant in geography/other-nations, but I think sometimes they take that as meaning we're all stupid. The US is very variable, our really smart people include some of the smartest people anywhere. Still sometimes if one of us talk about a French election or Bavarian history it's like they heard a poodle deliver the Gettysburg Address. (Well maybe not that bad)

Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 AM

7,825 posts, read 12,335,844 times
I think the emphasis on crime in the U.S. Yes America has a higher crime rate statistically but most of it is located in inner city areas that most people don't visit anyway, so everyday life for most Americans is perfectly safe. Also, illegal immigrants/foreigners are actually responsible for a lot of crime in the U.S., just look at what percentage of people in federal prison are illegal aliens, and how all the major organized crime groups in the U.S. like the Italian mafia, the Russian mafia, the Mexican drug cartels, the Chinese Triads, MS 13, the Irish mob all originated abroad.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I see what you're saying, but it's tough to compare American pop culture (Lil Wayne and The Fast and The Furious) to the Italian Renaissance or Mannerism.
It is not tough at all to compare American pop culture with Italian Renaissance or Mannerism. You would just have to look at both from the same perspective. In the year 2412 how will people look upon current American pop culture?
And why would you not compare the Italian Renaissance to The Jazz Singer and Gershwin or Louie Armstrong, did it not slant the statement enough?
A large portion of the world is currently influenced by American culture, more so than any previous movements due to the reach of mass media.
For anyone to discount it, because we are basically in our infancy compared to other countries, is just ridiculous.

Quote:
No one overseas gives a sh*t about our sports. Even Canadians only follow the NHL.
Just because in most countries soccer is the number 1 sport does not mean other countries do not follow U.S. sports.
You merely have to look at how many countries our sports are broadcast in to throw your argument out the window.
I routinely talk U.S. football on another forum with fans from dozens of different countries.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,946,882 times
Quote:
The fan base is small. Perhaps on par with the number of Americans here that are fans of the English Premier League.
There are American Football leagues in at least 59 countries throughout Europe, South America, Japan, Australia, etc.
If you are in Austin at the beginning of Feb. you could check out the Under 19 International Federation of American Football playing our top H.S. seniors

Quote:
I don't have the exact figures, but I believe the viewership for the Super Bowl is generally around 100 million here in the US, plus a few million in foreign country's. Never come close to a billion.
A few million foreign viewers is hardly a small number of people. The S.B. was broadcast in over 200 countries and over 30 different languages last year.

And the U.S. figure last year was 111 million watching the whole game at home, about 163 million watching part of the game. These numbers don't include bars and other such places.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,723,856 times
NFL sells out London every year since 2007

photocredit- http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/...fa26b712cc.jpg

Old 12-01-2011, 11:22 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,055,611 times
I had a friend of mine from Argentina visit Boston a few years ago. It was her time in the US and, not sure how ignorant she was of the US, these are a few of the things that surprised her...

She was surprised there were so few overweight people

She was surprised so many people spoke Spanish

She was surprised how friendly people were

She was surprised how many American flags were flying (don't understand that one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or