Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had the chance to own a house, all cost and tax issues aside, would you?
Yes, I want to own a house 15 68.18%
No, I do not want to own a house 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:16 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,801 times

Advertisements

By house, I mean a detached house with a yard and a driveway and what not.
All cost issues aside, and with ideal circumstances, would you want to own a house?
Or would you rather live in the city still?

Extra: WHERE would your ideal house be located? What kind of house would it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
All cost issues aside, and with ideal circumstances, would you want to own a house?

I own an single-family detached home in Silver Spring, Maryland just north of DC. It's close to a metrorail station, so I have easy access to DC and many of the close-in suburbs of Maryland and Virginia.

I prefer a detached house with a yard for kids and such, unless there's a large park to play in nearby. I also prefer being close to urban amenities and things that a city like DC offers. When you have kids, schools also become a major concern. The biggest factor here though is cost of living. You just have to find the right balance to meet your needs.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-01-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 AM

422 posts, read 812,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post

You do realize that detached houses with yards exist in big cities right? I live in one within Chicago city limits, yes a single family detached house with a yard and I have a detached garage facing an alley, not quite a driveway but across the street from me (still in the city) the houses have driveways instead of alleys. Even New York City has detached houses. Where do people even get the idea that there are zero houses with yards in cities with millions of people?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
You do realize that detached houses with yards exist in big cities right? I live in one within Chicago city limits, yes a single family detached house with a yard and I have a detached garage facing an alley, not quite a driveway but across the street from me (still in the city) the houses have driveways instead of alleys. Even New York City has detached houses. Where do people even get the idea that there are zero houses with yards in cities with millions of people?
I realize that.
I should have been clearer. I meant the traditional idea of owning a house, most likely in the suburbs for most people. Kind of like the "American Dream".

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
It's tough to own a house in the city. A "standard" 2000 sq. foot house in the desirable parts of NYC is very expensive. Unless you can pay close to $1 million, it's not likely to happen. That's the case even in NJ right across the Hudson. Plus, schools are often not that good in the less expensive neighborhoods.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I did own a house, and by the end, I hated it. But selling it allowed me to move, so I suppose it was worth it. And it would have been a lot more pleasant if I had been wealthy enough to pay professionals any time something need repair, instead of being forced to do it myself. I HATED having to do home repairs of any kind. I might do it again, though, as long as I could afford to pay others to do everything besides cleaning. But there's no way I'd live in the suburbs, unless it was a very atypical suburb. I enjoy not owning a car far too much to ever make that move. Even the house I owned was in a neighborhood that was built right after WWII, so it was still reasonably close to most necessities.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM

771 posts, read 1,396,076 times
I wouldn't want to own a detached house, if anything I would make it two flat, something that will at least bring income for when I retire. I think detached houses like that are great when you have like 3 little kids, 2 dogs, and what not. After the kids grow up and leave the house it's going to be a pain in the ass to maintain the house.

If my mother's house didn't bring in income (she owns a 3 flat) she would of sold it a looooong time ago. Dealing with crap like replacing the roof, fixing the yard, getting a new back and front porch, new central air, etc, has put her in heavy debt.

Simplest way to put it, if you want live debt free a house might not be the best option.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
If you are talking about a single family detached home in your average post-WWII auto-centric suburb, no.

If you are talking about a single family detached home in the city, which is a small house that is in walkable distance like those you'd find in some parts of Brooklyn or Queens I may want to have a house like that. Maybe it can even be converted to have some rentals so I get some money on the side. It depends.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Yes.

Inner-ring suburb with corner stores and mass transit, preferred.

However, we may end up renting indefinitely if I am ever able to begin a career in real estate investing/refurbishing/developing.....need that capital elsewhere!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Whoops, read it wrong and voted yes. I thought it just meant owning housing. I prefer having a condo in a multi-unit building. Less hassle, normally more going on in the immediate area as far as being in the middle of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.