Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:07 PM

117 posts, read 244,893 times

Advertisements

I really can't decide in which one to go to. I am still doing some research, but what would you recommend?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Any of them if you can get in

Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
The only one that really held an attraction for me was Penn, though I'd also look at Princeton. I'd also look at some of the non-ivies. My alma mater (Rice) delivers a consistently excellent experience. Wash U in St. Louis is also top-notch.

But yeah, like Btown said, any one you can get into. The average student at Harvard scores around 99.5 percentile on his SATs, so nobody at an Ivy is a slouch (except for that one guy).

Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,769 times
It depends on what your Major is going to be in? Engineering, Doctor? Lawyer? Nuclear Physicist? Each has well renowned Schools that are famous for each profession, and, its not until you decide which profession that you wish to entertain, will you decide on the School of choice.

Get your priorities straight, before you enter such a School, because its going to cost you and arm and a leg, and your first born to pay them off, after you leave the University.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-01-2011, 06:29 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
If you want to be closer to home, Cornell or Dartmouth(OP is from Quebec, btw). Perhaps good schools like SUNY-Binghamton, SUNY-Albany, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and UMass might work in terms of good public universities. Interestingly, most of those public universities are in this sports league: http://www.americaeast.com/

Here's another sports league with great, high quality schools: http://www.patriotleague.org/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-01-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Being from Quebec, it'll probably be worthwhile to see which schools have the most favorable policy pf financial aid for non-US citizens. Most US colleges do not award financial aid to non-US residents, but I know at least some of the Ivy's do not distinguish between foreign and US applicants when it comes to financial aid.

PS: Obviously, if the OP plans to self-finance, then the issue of financial aid is moot.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 12-01-2011 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 07:45 AM

504 posts, read 1,270,547 times
Agree with oakparkdude.

I like Cornell best. Well-rounded school and a nice location.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy345 View Post
I really can't decide in which one to go to. I am still doing some research, but what would you recommend?
Thank you
Deciding which Ivy to go to implies that you have a choice. But admissions rates at these schools are all below 10%, except for Cornell where it's about 15%. So don't count your chickens before they hatch. The odds are that you won't get into any of them. If you insist on an Ivy League education you have to know that when you apply.

All the Ivy schools have different cultures anyway. Harvard is very Type-A, for example, while Brown is mad laid back, Dartmouth is very fratty, Princeton is still a bit royalist, etc etc So do yr reseearch and apply to the one that fits.

I hope you're not romanticizing these places, like your life will be perfect and you'll land a great job and find the perfect mate if only you get into Princeton. Fact is you can get a great education andc meet cool people at lots of US schools, indeed at lots of prestigious schools that don't carry the Ivy label and are somewhat easier to get into--smaller places like Bowdoin, Bates, Williams, Wesleyan, Vassar, Barnard or Smith (if you're a woman). Many others too.

Don't pick a college for the name. Pick for the fit. The prestige will help you to get your first job after graduating. And make for a neat sticker on your parent's car. That's it. Sooner than you think, no one will give a rat's ass where you went to school.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:27 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy345 View Post
Thank you
I have a special liking for Princeton. That campus is incomparable, FWIW.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Dartmouth and Princeton are my two favorite Ivy Campuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.