U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM

9,447 posts, read 18,363,374 times

Advertisements

Not one single county in Colorado with a high ranking, not even the eastern plains. Only state in the union that doesn't rank over 20%. Something about the high altitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 05:36 PM

286 posts, read 351,278 times
I find it surprising that nevada has a high rate of obesity
who knows, maybe being a state with very low population plus
those people seating and gambling all night and day in Las vegas and Renoy made a big difference

Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM

5,837 posts, read 10,799,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They must use different measures in different states. Look how Illinois is magically thinner than it's neighbors, and the outline of Missouri is in contrast to all its neighbors.
I know.

I'm seriously questioning the methodology used here. Things like that just don't look right.

Although I will say that from my personal experience small towns/small cities in Wisconsin have people that look a bit healthier more often than not than many equivalent places in the other four main great lakes states.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,356,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Not one single county in Colorado with a high ranking, not even the eastern plains. Only state in the union that doesn't rank over 20%. Something about the high altitude?
Yes, and an active lifestyle, particularly along the Front Range and western CO...clean air, diverse topography and comparatively drier, milder weather are all conducive to physical fitness. I think it's easier to eat healthy when exercising a lot, too.

Sure, every methodology has its weaknesses. The clear state boundaries shown definitely point to a difference in reporting by state...but this isn't Forbes' Fittest Cities list, this is a pretty credible study using CDC data that can't just be dismissed as fiction.

When I moved from El Paso County (CO) to Travis County (TX), the difference in obesity rates was instantly evident...and that was in one of the slimmest counties in TX.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM

18,654 posts, read 27,097,861 times
You would have thought Texas would be alot worse in obesity but looking at the map, it's actually not as bad as people thought. Put down the Men's health magazine, people. Still could be alot better. But it's not as bad as people think it is.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 PM

9,877 posts, read 21,164,049 times
Only counted 6 Kentucky counties in the "low" shade (if you call 26% obesity rate low!!), all were urban counties: Kenton (metro Cincy), Jefferson & Nelson (Metro Louisville), Fayette & Jessamine (metro Lexington)

Old 12-01-2011, 06:50 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,143,764 times
Seems that few people notice that the difference between lowest and highest is only about 4%. They might as well all be about the same.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,150,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I know.

I'm seriously questioning the methodology used here. Things like that just don't look right.

Although I will say that from my personal experience small towns/small cities in Wisconsin have people that look a bit healthier more often than not than many equivalent places in the other four main great lakes states.
And which are those?

My guess:
Illinois
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin

Leaving out:
New York
Pennsylvania
Indiana
Minnesota

Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 AM

5,837 posts, read 10,799,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
And which are those?

My guess:
Illinois
Ohio
Michigan
Wisconsin

Leaving out:
New York
Pennsylvania
Indiana
Minnesota
Illinios, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin are the Old Northwest Territory which forms a distinct region. The "original" midwest. West of the Missisippi is practically the Great Plains, and east of Ohio is practically the eastern seaboard.

I should have been more clear.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM

3,516 posts, read 4,971,890 times
Much of the contrast in western states' counties clearly corresponds to Indian Reservations such as in the Dakota Badlands, etc. which have high obesity.

The counties along the CO - KS border are identical flat wheat-growing areas, so why the sudden contrast along the state line? And why are N.E. TX and N.W. TX healthier than western OK? (Does OK have a greater Indian presence?) Why are southern IL and southern IA less obese than MO? And what's with the one obese county in N.W. Maine? And why the extreme contrast in neighboring counties within in OR and NV? And why are the N.W. AR Ozarks noticeably less obese than the S.W. MO Ozarks? Does one state have better public health programs than the other neighboring state?

Clark County - Las Vegas NV actually shows as low obesity, but it's the other, rural NV counties than are shown as high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.