U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,234,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ugh the South, Appalachia and parts of Delmarva
There's only two black counties in Delmarva. What I find shocking is the lack of black in Texas. THe states I expected to be full of black generally met my expectations...Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. Why Texas didn't fall in here surprises me. They have essentially the same diet as these other states. In any case, as expected, the South is the fattest nation in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:18 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,583,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
There's only two black counties in Delmarva. What I find shocking is the lack of black in Texas. THe states I expected to be full of black generally met my expectations...Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. Why Texas didn't fall in here surprises me. They have essentially the same diet as these other states. In any case, as expected, the South is the fattest nation in the U.S.
Kentucky and West Virginia have low black populations. Most of eastern Kentucky as well as West Virginia have higher obesity issues, likely the result of high poverty.

Missouri is "fatter" than Georgia, Florida, and Virginia.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The L.A. region (AKA: car city) seems to be doing fine.
Yeah I'm not sure that car versus public-transportation would make too much difference. There's plenty of overweight people who ride the bus or subway and I'm not sure if it makes enough of a difference, exercise wise, whether you walk to your car or walk to the bus stop.

I could see Car-vs-Walking or Car-vs-Biking as making a difference. Bellingham, Boulder, Eugene, Fort-Collins, Gainesville, Madison, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz look high for biking to work. Boulder and Fort-Collins have the two lowest obesity rates according to Gallup. Bellingham and Santa Barbara are also listed by Gallup as being below 20% in obesity. None of them look to be above US average for obesity, although at 25.8% the Eugene-Springfield metro is close to average and they are slightly above average in diabetes. (Link on that was in earlier post)

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h38.html

Old 12-03-2011, 09:41 PM

20,863 posts, read 35,998,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Kentucky and West Virginia have low black populations. Most of eastern Kentucky as well as West Virginia have higher obesity issues, likely the result of high poverty.

Missouri is "fatter" than Georgia, Florida, and Virginia.
Most of Missouri is fairly high in poverty outside of the metros.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 PM

131 posts, read 205,390 times
People in Missouri and Indiana clearly aren't as weight concious as those in Illinois. Also, what's up with Appalacian PA? Once you hit the mtns bordering Jersey/NY the people are on the complete opposite end if the scale.

Last edited by ImOnTheMove; 12-03-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM

144 posts, read 224,137 times
While I agree Alabama has an obesity problem (well actually the whole United States does), no one in my family is obese and most of my friends aren't either. In the Montgomery area, it seemed that the most obese people tended to be African-American while the whites were healthier and less obese. However, the wealthier African-Americans seemed more fit than their white counterparts.

I'm pretty sure in the wealthier and better educated areas of Alabama, the obesity rates are lower and probably more comparable to the rest of the nation. Alabama has a greater percentage of poor people who tend to be more obese.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 AM

15,540 posts, read 17,773,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Good ol' boys and rez folks are fat. I coulda told you that without a map.

:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Can you be a little more clear with what you mean by that comment.
The South (good ol' boys) and areas with a high Native American population (rez folks) have high obesity rates as shown by the map in the OP. Having lived in or in close proximity to both the South and areas with a lot of Native Americans, I have noticed that obesity is rampant in both populations as compared with other parts of the country.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
Public transportation has little to do with this. It's all about poverty.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,002,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good catch. You can also see Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. In contrast, look how well Colorado does!

In fact, while Texas, Illinois and Wisconsin are not perfect, note how much better they are than some of the surrounding states

For instance, you can actually see a difference between Wisconsin and the dark blue of the UP of Michigan. Can any one from that area explain the reason why?
I am going to say it is pure guessing on their part. It's not like you are going to go right across the border from Wisconsin to the UP and everyone is going to be 40 pounds heavier. You probably won't even notice a difference unless you are truly picking out the overweight people. Now I notice a difference when I head down to the South.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,184,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I always heard Texas was the fattest state and Houston the fattest city...
Well, obviously you heard wrong...

On the map the OP posted, the county Houston is in as well as two of its suburban counties are clearly in white, the lowest obesity category on the map. Also, these contradict what you heard:

Top 25 Skinniest US cities

In Pictures: Austin surpasses Houston in obesity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's probably because the "fat cities" criteria has more to do with crap like the number of restaurants per capita and other such stuff that doesn't necessarily correlate to a person's actual weight.
^This. The Men's Cosmo Magazine lists from the past that seemed to target the Texas cities.

Last edited by AK123; 12-04-2011 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.