U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:30 PM

1,684 posts, read 5,682,589 times

Advertisements

Look at movies from the 70s and beyond and you rarely see obese people. It really is interesting how obesity came about moreso in the last 25 years. Could it be the advent of the computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:08 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
First part: Nah, that's not it. Hispanic adult obesity rate in TX is 32.7 and white is 25.5, at least a couple years ago (last stat I found). However you're right that there are lots of transplants in the major pop. centers in TX so that might affect the data. Also cuisine is not identical to the south! I'm not saying it's much healthier (it's not) but it's definitely different. Obviously both regions have some of the worst obesity problems in the country.
Texas cuisine is a blend of Mexican, southwestern, and southern. East Texas i've noticed tends to favor more southern foods.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:10 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Look at movies from the 70s and beyond and you rarely see obese people. It really is interesting how obesity came about moreso in the last 25 years. Could it be the advent of the computer?
I think it's the fast food extravaganza and just the increasing amounts of available of food orders and quantities that have caused the obesity rate to swell up to what it is today. Places like WalMart have essentially allowed enormous amounts of food to be bought for lower prices.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:16 AM

14,951 posts, read 31,348,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
While I agree Alabama has an obesity problem (well actually the whole United States does), no one in my family is obese and most of my friends aren't either. In the Montgomery area, it seemed that the most obese people tended to be African-American while the whites were healthier and less obese. However, the wealthier African-Americans seemed more fit than their white counterparts.

I'm pretty sure in the wealthier and better educated areas of Alabama, the obesity rates are lower and probably more comparable to the rest of the nation. Alabama has a greater percentage of poor people who tend to be more obese.
Same here. I made a post in the NC forum yesterday about this same topic. Being overweight is actually embraced by many black folks around here and is considered sexy. Ever hear the old song "I like big butts"?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,727,127 times
So, the poorest states are also our most obese. They also just happen to be red states. Where are they getting the money to buy all of this food? Would a conservative care to answer the question?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 AM

14,951 posts, read 31,348,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
So, the poorest states are also our most obese. They also just happen to be red states. Where are they getting the money to buy all of this food? Would a conservative care to answer the question?
If you want to get political, the fattest people in these "red states" tend to vote "blue", they're the ones needing the "free" healthcare.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Quote:
If you look at the map Michigan is pretty obese. Also if North Carolina counts as a "red state" than likely so does Colorado and Colorado's the thinnest state they list. If you go by the link Utah is fourth thinnest, if I read it right, and it's definitely a red-state.

As for poor people being overweight when you're poor food might be a bigger source of pleasure. Fatty or sugary foods can be a cheap source of enjoyment if you can't afford cable and the like. (I remember it as such) Related to that is if you're life sucks anyway a meal of vegetables and low-fat milk might just seem to make things more miserable. (Orwell discussed this back in the Depression so fat poor people has some history) Also some fatty/sugary foods are relatively cheap compared to other things. Taco Bell, I think it was, was something many poor college kids ate. Lastly in our age the poor aren't working in fields or whatever. Oftentimes they're unemployed or in sedentary low-paying jobs. They can't afford gyms and they might be in neighborhoods where you don't want to jog much.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
If you look at the map Michigan is pretty obese. Also if North Carolina counts as a "red state" than likely so does Colorado and Colorado's the thinnest state they list. If you go by the link Utah is fourth thinnest, if I read it right, and it's definitely a red-state.

As for poor people being overweight when you're poor food might be a bigger source of pleasure. Fatty or sugary foods can be a cheap source of enjoyment if you can't afford cable and the like. (I remember it as such) Related to that is if you're life sucks anyway a meal of vegetables and low-fat milk might just seem to make things more miserable. (Orwell discussed this back in the Depression so fat poor people has some history) Also some fatty/sugary foods are relatively cheap compared to other things. Taco Bell, I think it was, was something many poor college kids ate. Lastly in our age the poor aren't working in fields or whatever. Oftentimes they're unemployed or in sedentary low-paying jobs. They can't afford gyms and they might be in neighborhoods where you don't want to jog much.
I think this is it.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:50 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,352,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Texas cuisine is a blend of Mexican, southwestern, and southern. East Texas i've noticed tends to favor more southern foods.
True. The further east it's more southern, the further west it's more southwestern. And all the best BBQ is right in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Colorado hasn't been a red state for a few years. The vast majority of the population is along the Front Range which, minus the outlier of Colo Spgs, is pretty blue and getting bluer. As far at Utah...Mormons generally treat their bodies very well (don't smoke or drink), and they have amazing outdoor activities to stay fit (like Colorado)....seems like a pretty good recipe for low obesity.

Quote:
If a family of 5 has $10 to spend on food, they can get 10 dollar menu items at McD's, or a bag of organic apples. For a family on a shoestring budget, which are they likely to choose? My guess is when push comes to shove they opt for the bad-for-you-but-ultimately-much-more-filling fast food.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 AM

9,832 posts, read 7,672,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Portion sizes are ridiculous now. People want more bang for their buck, and they end up eating way too damn much as a result. That's the big culprit IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.