U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had the chance to own a house, all cost and tax issues aside, would you?
Yes, I want to own a house 15 68.18%
No, I do not want to own a house 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 AM

56,843 posts, read 81,169,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's tough to own a house in the city. A "standard" 2000 sq. foot house in the desirable parts of NYC is very expensive. Unless you can pay close to $1 million, it's not likely to happen. That's the case even in NJ right across the Hudson. Plus, schools are often not that good in the less expensive neighborhoods.
It depends on the city too. You can get a decent sized home in many medium to smaller cities for around 100k, with a decent yard or big park close by. Many families either deal with or get into good academic programs in the urban district or go private or charter. So, it can be done within many cities too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,752,966 times
Yes, and if I had a stable job with a decent pay and if the cost of living were lower, I would have bought one already.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,808,972 times
Yes, but in the city. Should have phrased it better.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,606,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
I realize that.
I should have been clearer. I meant the traditional idea of owning a house, most likely in the suburbs for most people. Kind of like the "American Dream".
Does not interest me at all. I'm fine with my 1br. I would actually prefer a studio so I can open the entire place up when I need be, I will be looking next summer probably. I don't like being cooped up or spending time in my place that much anyway, makes me stir crazy. Having a bigger place would only make it more so, cause me to buy more furniture, and other stuff I don't need. I also move around a lot, and plan on continuing it and exploring the world. I even move w/in the city to check out diff neighborhoods. Not that I'm not happy with whatever past places I had, I just like trying new things, moving into a new apartment is a very refreshing feeling. There is a large turn with the 20-40 population now vs the baby boomers... I don't think a lot of us really buy into that whole american dream thing. Some do of course, but there has been a move back into the cities for about the last 15-20 years now as gentrification has occured, white flight has stifled, and crime has gone down in the inner cities. Living in the city is also much greener and less wasteful than suburban development, which has pushed a lot of people into the city from those demographics also in order to be more efficient. The neighborhoods of Chicago today are not the same places from the 60s/70s/80s.

Last edited by grapico; 12-02-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 03:09 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,148,519 times
I am going to wait to buy a house until I move out of Southern California to another state. I own 2- 2.5 acre lots near me but at this juncture I'm not sure if I'll build my home on one of them.

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or