U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,675,072 times

Advertisements

I thought church and state are separate so why are public schools observing these holidays but do not teach anything about religion.

Also, the constitution part about "freedom of religion" means nothing.
If i would publicly announce my religion people would not accept me as an equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,573,006 times
Most Christian holidays didn't start out Christian. Take a look at Christi\mas and Easter. Their origins are from other civilizations that Christians considered pagan. So really the Christian holidays of which you speak, aren't really of Christian origin.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Most Christian holidays didn't start out Christian. Take a look at Christi\mas and Easter. Their origins are from other civilizations that Christians considered pagan. So really the Christian holidays of which you speak, aren't really of Christian origin.
From 11/23:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Stay tuned for next month when someone provides us with the earth-shattering news that Jesus wasn't really born on December 25th but that the Christian church co-opted a pagan holiday...

Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM

7 posts, read 8,768 times
I think because 80% are Christians in USA

Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,056,284 times
Festivus is not a Christian holiday

Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio- View Post
Why does the USA only celebrate Christian holidays and not any Jewish or any other religion's holidays?! None of them are secular at all!! What happened to separation of church and state?

St. Valentines Day > The day is named after one or more early Christian martyrs named Saint Valentine, and was established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD.

Good Friday (STATE HOLIDAY IN 11 states!) - is a religious holiday observed primarily by Christians commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary.

Halloween - ( All Hallows' Eve) - Day before All Saint's Day !

Christmas Day (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - It is a Christian feast that commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ.

New Year's Day (Jan 1) (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - founded by Pope Gregory. It's year 2011 because he picked the date approx. Christ' birth year. Nothing is secular at all!
It's also Christ' circumcision according to Jewish law after Christmas Day - 7-8 days after his birthday.

Malls and everything also shut downs on Christmas Day, most also on Easter but never on any other religious day except Christians
This is unfair and anti-semitic.

If I drive south to NJ border of Bergen County, they have blue laws where almost everything is closed on Sundays by law... why not on Saturday?!
Why are banks closed on Sundays but open half day on Jewish sabbath?

Everything only Christian and Christian.... many cities and counties have "Saint" names, many streets and others too

I know there are secular holidays too, but most of them are Christians. Martin Luther King was Christian too, Christopher Columbus, President's Day (Nearly all presidents were Christians) etc.
Christopher Columbus was actually a Sephardi Jew:

Jewish Roots of Christopher Columbus - YouTube

Jews hold a significant influence in USA culture, history, and global history.

In many U.S. States there are many holidays and days given off or taken off to accommodate the Jews, often times more than any other religious group of people.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:32 AM

11,089 posts, read 4,876,068 times
Because the supermajority in the US identify as Christians. The United States as a nation was basically settled and created by extreme, blatant Christians. Puritanical roots and such.

That never quite died out. The US's relative isolation enabled 'traditional' beliefs to maintain a stronghold, and the predominantly Christian holidays reflect that.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 AM

21,204 posts, read 30,412,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Because the supermajority in the US identify as Christians. The United States as a nation was basically settled and created by extreme, blatant Christians. Puritanical roots and such.

That never quite died out. The US's relative isolation enabled 'traditional' beliefs to maintain a stronghold, and the predominantly Christian holidays reflect that.
However less than half participate in organized religion in terms of services and half that number (20%) actually attend services regularly. It's one thing to cling to traditions but it's another to deny observance of traditions of others who probably would have better participation rates.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:20 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,078,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
And the Jewish in America make up 1.7% of our population. There are more agnostics in America.

I have a few Jewish friends and always respect their holidays. Also, every calendar I own notes Jewish holidays on it.
I lived in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood and their holidays were always celebrated. There was a great Purim parade and festival every year that everyone attended.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM

15,529 posts, read 17,760,841 times
I grew up in a community where Jewish holidays were excused from school and work. Jewish kids were allowed excused absences from school to attend Hebrew school and other events related to their religion. In areas where there are few Jews, this is not the case.

Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.