U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio- View Post
Good Friday (STATE HOLIDAY IN 11 states!) - is a religious holiday observed primarily by Christians commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary.
Which means it isn't a state holiday in 39 states.

If you want Jewish or whatever holidays to be state holidays just work on that. In most states like 90% of people are either Christian or of no religion. So our holidays tend to either have Christian-origin or are secular in origin.

People aren't required though to have every religions holiday be a state holiday for all citizens. Catholics are more numerous than Jews or Buddhists combined, to list faiths "older than Christianity", but I don't think most states have the 8th of this month (The Feast of the Immaculate Conception) as a state holiday even if it is a "Holy Day of Obligation" for us and a public holiday in some nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 07:11 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,426,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio- View Post
Why does the USA only celebrate Christian holidays and not any Jewish or any other religion's holidays?! None of them are secular at all!! What happened to separation of church and state?

St. Valentines Day > The day is named after one or more early Christian martyrs named Saint Valentine, and was established by Pope Gelasius I in 496 AD.

Good Friday (STATE HOLIDAY IN 11 states!) - is a religious holiday observed primarily by Christians commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ and his death at Calvary.

Halloween - ( All Hallows' Eve) - Day before All Saint's Day !

Christmas Day (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - It is a Christian feast that commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ.

New Year's Day (Jan 1) (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - founded by Pope Gregory. It's year 2011 because he picked the date approx. Christ' birth year. Nothing is secular at all!
It's also Christ' circumcision according to Jewish law after Christmas Day - 7-8 days after his birthday.

Malls and everything also shut downs on Christmas Day, most also on Easter but never on any other religious day except Christians
This is unfair and anti-semitic.

If I drive south to NJ border of Bergen County, they have blue laws where almost everything is closed on Sundays by law... why not on Saturday?!
Why are banks closed on Sundays but open half day on Jewish sabbath?

Everything only Christian and Christian.... many cities and counties have "Saint" names, many streets and others too

I know there are secular holidays too, but most of them are Christians. Martin Luther King was Christian too, Christopher Columbus, President's Day (Nearly all presidents were Christians) etc.

So? Emilio, as a Jew you are in the minority in this country. I am Jewish and I accept that. I celebrate my holidays and just accept that I live in a country where Christianity is a majority religion.

If you don't like it you can always move to Israel where your holidays are celebrated because Jews are a Majority and it is a Jewish state.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 PM

286 posts, read 350,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Well I suppose it depends what side of the fence one is on. As a Jew this is how I view it. I don't see much good that came out of Christianity when it came to the Jewish people. Only in the modern age has Christianity started to grapple with its past and treatment of the Jewish people.
Yes I agree, jewish people got the short end of the stick too many ocassions, but just as the Kurds and many other minorities around the world, not every nationality have the privilage to call a homeland their own, in this case The jewish estate came into existence out of the atrocities we all know, and delivered by Great Britain, The US and France to jewish people all around the world in 1948, I think that has to account for something, if not gratitude at least a sense that you are not alone.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:29 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,694 times
Growing up in Milford, CT, I remember having all the Jewish holidays off in addition to the usual holidays.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,993,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuseph View Post
Good Friday is a state holiday in Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee and Texas. State and local government offices and courts are closed, as well as some banks and postal offices in these states.
The reason GF is a holiday is because Easter is on a Sunday. Liken it to Christmas being Sunday and the banks being closed on Friday or Monday.

Honestly, is the concept really that tough? I tried to make that clear,

Old 12-03-2011, 08:37 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,993,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
America is a Catholic nation
Well the only thing truly Catholic about the USA is pedophilia and corruption. (sarcasm warning)

There are almost twice as many protestants.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 PM

565 posts, read 821,965 times
I'm Wiccan, I have to celebrate my religious holidays in private [or with very FEW close friends] or chaos erupts and people flip out. If I have to deal with it, then everyone else can handle it, I'm sure.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:13 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,694 times
I'm Protestant, DH is Catholic, kids were baptized in the Catholic church and raised Protestant, oldest DD is Wiccan , new DIL is Jewish. We celebrate some holidays together, others are done with friends (my Wiccan daughter) . I do agree, our country was founded by Christians, that's the fact, and the basis for how customs, etc developed. But people are free here to practice any religion, unlike a lot of other countries where you may risk your life if you vary from the majority religion.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,161,688 times
If you live in a place where Jewish families make up a large share of the population, Jewish holidays often are observed. Many towns in NJ, for example, have their schools and municipal offices closed, suspend street cleaning rules, etc. for major Jewish holidays. But in most of the country this doesn't happen because there are few if any observant Jewish families, so a Jewish holiday is like any other day.

This is why it's nice that many companies offer their employees a couple of "floating holidays" in addition to Federal or State holidays. You can use these floating holidays for a religious holiday you observe, or whenever you just want to spend a day or two with your family.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:22 PM

1,998 posts, read 3,035,066 times
If we equally celebrated everyone's holidays..... When would we get any work done? Lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.