U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,394,624 times

Advertisements

92% of the Jewish population lives in 16 metro areas, which are located in 13 states and the District of Columbia.

These 16 metros are:
NYC, LA, Miami, Philly, Chicago, Boston, SF, DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Cleveland, Detroit, San Diego.

These 16 metros account for about 35%-40% of the population of the US. Therefore, only 8% or so of the Jewish population lives among 60% of the nation's population. Bear in mind that cities such as:

St. Louis, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston all have Jewish populations between 50K-75Kish, yet are not part of the 16 metros with the largest Jewish populations. These metros account for approx. 10% of the US population and even if all 9 of these metros have 50K Jews making 450,000 out of 6-6.5 million Jews in the US, at most you have 3% of the Jewish population distributed among the remaining 50% of the US population.

Therefore, it is safe to say that close to 50% of Americans may not live anywhere near a viable Jewish community or person.

The numbers for Muslims and Hindus are probably significantly lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:44 PM

87,150 posts, read 103,066,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
92% of the Jewish population lives in 16 metro areas, which are located in 13 states and the District of Columbia.

These 16 metros are:
NYC, LA, Miami, Philly, Chicago, Boston, SF, DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Cleveland, Detroit, San Diego.

These 16 metros account for about 35%-40% of the population of the US. Therefore, only 8% or so of the Jewish population lives among 60% of the nation's population. Bear in mind that cities such as:

St. Louis, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston all have Jewish populations between 50K-75Kish, yet are not part of the 16 metros with the largest Jewish populations. These metros account for approx. 10% of the US population and even if all 9 of these metros have 50K Jews making 450,000 out of 6-6.5 million Jews in the US, at most you have 3% of the Jewish population distributed among the remaining 50% of the US population.

Therefore, it is safe to say that close to 50% of Americans may not live anywhere near a viable Jewish community or person.

The numbers for Muslims and Hindus are probably significantly lower.
Interesting numbers; where do they come from?

Omaha, NE has a good size Jewish community.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Interesting numbers; where do they come from?

Omaha, NE has a good size Jewish community.
Mostly wikipedia which isn't always accurate. According to wikipedia, Omaha was in the 15,000 range, which for a city that size, isn't too bad. But I think the numbers are close enough to suggest half of Americans don't live near a Jewish community.

Other cities with a Jewish community in the 10,000-15,000 range are Austin, El Paso, Memphis, Nashville, Memphis, Orlando, Jacksonville, New Orleans. So discounting those numbers, you have even less Jewish Americans among 48% of the US.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:25 PM

601 posts, read 1,646,721 times
The US is. Christian nation. Deal with it. Would you rather work all the time?

Does Israel have Christian, Catholic holidays? What about the Muslim countries, do they celebrate them?
Guess not so it's nothing unusual.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,770,747 times
I am Jewish---and proud to live in this great country.

I recognize that there are 6 Million Jews in this country----around 2% of the population. That by itself would make it difficult to place demands on the leaders of this nation to declare that Jewish holidays be recognized as federal holidays.

If every minority group that makes up 2-3% of the population demands federal holidays, it would be a federal nightmare.

I understand this is a predominantly Christian nation----and I accept that fact. I thank this county for its religous freedom and tolerance. All religous groups and factions need to appreciate the freedom of choice America allows and tolerates.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
The US is. Christian nation. Deal with it. Would you rather work all the time?

Does Israel have Christian, Catholic holidays? What about the Muslim countries, do they celebrate them?
Guess not so it's nothing unusual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I am Jewish---and proud to live in this great country.

I recognize that there are 6 Million Jews in this country----around 2% of the population. That by itself would make it difficult to place demands on the leaders of this nation to declare that Jewish holidays be recognized as federal holidays.

If every minority group that makes up 2-3% of the population demands federal holidays, it would be a federal nightmare.

I understand this is a predominantly Christian nation----and I accept that fact. I thank this county for its religous freedom and tolerance. All religous groups and factions need to appreciate the freedom of choice America allows and tolerates.
Sorry but please tell me where the law states that the US is a Christian nation. In fact, if you take out all the atheists and agnostics from the Christian population, the Christian population may in fact be hovering around the 50% mark. That's like saying the US is a Republican nation if 51% of the people ID as Republican.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:40 AM

601 posts, read 1,646,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Sorry but please tell me where the law states that the US is a Christian nation. In fact, if you take out all the atheists and agnostics from the Christian population, the Christian population may in fact be hovering around the 50% mark. That's like saying the US is a Republican nation if 51% of the people ID as Republican.

I highly doubly there are 50% of atheists and agnostics in this country. Do you have a source for that? And aren't Republicans Christians too?

As I said just look at other countries and you will see there is nothing "unfair" at all.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
I highly doubly there are 50% of atheists and agnostics in this country. Do you have a source for that? And aren't Republicans Christians too?

As I said just look at other countries and you will see there is nothing "unfair" at all.
Cite me a source that says the US is OFFICIALLY a Christian nation. By the way, in a previous post you stated that there is separation of church and state in the public domain. Therefore, the US cannot be a Christian nation.

Non Christian religious Americans (Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, etc.) account for over 10% of Americans. Atheists and agnostics are estimated to be over 30%. So the number of "Christians" is between 50%-60%.

The fact that I mentioned Republicans has nothing to do with whether they are Christians or not. I merely highlighted the fact that if 51% of Americans are in fact Republicans, that doesn't make the US a Republican country. Perhaps I should not have used a political example. If 51% of the burger joints in this country are Burger Kings, that doesn't mean the US is a Burger King run nation.

I have yet to see a federal law in place that enforces the notion that the US is a Christian nation officially.

If the US were a Christian nation, what denomination would it be???? Try to answer that and you will see why the US can never be a Christian nation.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,072,460 times
IM sure jews, muslims, atheists and others all enjoy time off on "christian days"
Jewish holidays are also recognized in New York State.

Most companies offer one or two floating holidays that can be used for other personal observances.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,285,053 times
I had off for many Jewish religious holiday when I was in school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.