Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuseph View Post
Because America is a Christian nation
America is a Catholic nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio- View Post
New Year's Day (Jan 1) (FEDERAL/STATE HOLIDAY) - founded by Pope Gregory. It's year 2011 because he picked the date approx. Christ' birth year. Nothing is secular at all!
It's also Christ' circumcision according to Jewish law after Christmas Day - 7-8 days after his birthday.
Not anymore. That feast abolished after Vatican II and replaced by the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solemni..._Mother_of_God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
America is a Catholic nation
Not in the reality most of us inhabit.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 PM

88,533 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Outside of the northeast, Jews are a very small minority. It's possible to live in many parts of this country and never even meet a Jewish person.
I don't think I got that until I came upon City-Data.

On another thread not long ago I was saying that although there were many Jews in the area where I grew up (northern NJ), my small town only had a couple of Jewish people. Back in the late 60's, someone opened up a bagel shop in town and we saw the sign and didn't know what they sold there.

To that someone responded, "What are you saying, that bagels are a Jewish food?" LOL Now everyone has bagels, but the ones you get in the supermarket are not like real bagels from a Jewish bagel shop.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:17 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Quote:
You're the only Jew saying that

Do you put up a Christmas tree at your house as well? Or what Christmas holidays do you celebrate? Maybe your partner is Christian

I've known a few Jews who observed both, to include a Christmas tree, as they were families with a non-Jewish spouse. And I also know many people here from India who put up a tree, like the Sikhs down the street, who choose to do so because they believe they should assimilate a little bit.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 AM

285 posts, read 437,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
They walk a slippery slope. They have a hard time in many ways acknowledging his Jewishness. They take the Hebrew Bible and take the parts that they believe prove their beliefs. Yet they have for 2000 years declared war on the Jewish people.

They want to erase all the Jewishness of their start but they can't because Jesus was Jewish and loved his people and never wanted to start a new religion.

What has happened in the name of Christianity to the people that Jesus loved is heartbreaking.
I think for the most part what you are saying is not entirely true
must christians I know "myself among them" acknowledge the fact that Jesus was jewish, we do share the old testament with jewish people exactly because of that reason.

The fact remains that the divide came about because the jewish religious establishmente of the day did not accept Jesus as the Messiah
however many jews did as well as some gentiles, that's were the waters were parted and christianity was born
The New Testament became the primary christian religious book.

I guess in theory if the jewish religious establishment of the day had accepted Jesus Christ as the Messiah both jews and christians would've been just one religion, however a lot of water has run under the bridge during the last 2012 years so there is no going back.
I like to see things from a historical perspective more than a religious one.

Last edited by daortiz; 12-03-2011 at 01:30 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 01:29 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Well, if you want to get technical, some of those so-called Christian holidays are based on pagan beliefs, such as All Hallow's Eve and the Winter Solstice. The only holidays I support are Labor Day and Memorial Day, the rest is fluff.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Good Friday is a state holiday in Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee and Texas. State and local government offices and courts are closed, as well as some banks and postal offices in these states.

Most public schools are also closed - either as a holiday of its own, or part of spring break.

Easter always fall on a Sunday, so no need to make it a holiday anyway.
But almost every mall is closed on Easter Sunday.
In NYC, the public schools are closed for Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year) and Yom Kipper (the Day of Atonement, the most important day in the Jewish calendar). But NYC public schools are open on all the other Jewish holidays (unless they coincide with a Christian or Federal holiday).

Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Actually they do. Tourst dollars (although Bethlehem is technically Palestine).
Actually in Israel, Christmas is not celebrated. The only place where you see any official celebration is in Bethlehem which is in the West Bank (part of the Palestinian region). There is another thread on the World forum of someone complaining that there are no Christmas decorations in Israel.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 AM

88,533 posts, read 84,719,546 times
[quote=Chava61;21960619]Actually in Israel, Christmas is not celebrated. The only place where you see any official celebration is in Bethlehem which is in the West Bank (part of the Palestinian region). There is another thread on the World forum of someone complaining that there are no Christmas decorations in Israel.[/quote]

Really? LOL.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daortiz View Post
I think for the most part what you are saying is not entirely true
must christians I know "myself among them" acknowledge the fact that Jesus was jewish, we do share the old testament with jewish people exactly because of that reason.

The fact remains that the divide came about because the jewish religious establishmente of the day did not accept Jesus as the Messiah
however many jews did as well as some gentiles, that's were the waters were parted and christianity was born
The New Testament became the primary christian religious book.

I guess in theory if the jewish religious establishment of the day had accepted Jesus Christ as the Messiah both jews and christians would've been just one religion, however a lot of water has run under the bridge during the last 2012 years so there is no going back.
I like to see things from a historical perspective more than a religious one.

Well I suppose it depends what side of the fence one is on. As a Jew this is how I view it. I don't see much good that came out of Christianity when it came to the Jewish people. Only in the modern age has Christianity started to grapple with its past and treatment of the Jewish people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.