Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,786,243 times

Advertisements

My biggest pet peeve is people think Houston is South Western. I have met too many people in person who ask where I live and immediately go into South western, Road Runner and Wylie Cayote, New Mexican/ Arizona type steryotype. That is why I defy strongly the steryotype that Texas is like that. Too many people here are non south western to paint the state with such a wide brush. The Texas Triangle and points East account for 20M people who do not live in South Western classified areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,895,398 times
Stereotype that Southerners aren't aware of the world, don't own passports, or don't like leaving home. I've lived in or visited about 19 foreign countries. Of course I do know people that are more than content to live in their small town for life...

Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,069,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
I was speaking mostly about the rurul midwest. Chicago is one of the most diverse cities I have ever been to.
Well I grew up in Iowa for 22 years and the neighbors across the street were black A majority of the people who live in houses in my parents subdivision are Asian, but it's a college town and they're mostly wealthy doctors, etc....

Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,862,338 times
As a native southerner

I have little to no southern accent
Not overly religious
I don't re-live the civil war, nor make a big deal over the holidays of dead confederate general
Im pro gay marriage and gay rights in general
Don't have a gun rack in my truck

Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,009,863 times
I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area my entire life...

-Up until recently I've always been a registered Republican (now Independent)

-I'm not a bleeding heart liberal

-I'm not a vegan or vegeterian

-I'm not politically correct.

-I don't smoke weed.

-Occupy protestors annoy the hell out of me.

-I've never hugged a tree

-I don't eat granola but I do wear flip-flops.

-I don't drive a Prius and never will.

-I only occasionally buy organic.

-I don't support illegal immigration.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,943,271 times
I live in Colorado and don't ski.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 PM

3,069 posts, read 7,983,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
There are areas of Louisiana and Mississippi where racism is very pronounced. But as for the General south: Georgia, North/South Carolina, Alabama, Northern Florida/ Tennesse/ Virginia..ect, racism is not anymore prevalent than anywhere else in the country.
There are areas in all 50 states where racism is very pronounced. To single out La and Miss is to stereotype those two states. I see racism and non racism alike in the two states.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,762,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
There are areas in all 50 states where racism is very pronounced. To single out La and Miss is to stereotype those two states. I see racism and non racism alike in the two states.
Totally not true. Sure, all states have racism, but it's definitely more pronounced in some states over others...not all have areas that have major racism issues.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 AM

5,542 posts, read 9,444,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
My biggest pet peeve is people think Houston is South Western. I have met too many people in person who ask where I live and immediately go into South western, Road Runner and Wylie Cayote, New Mexican/ Arizona type steryotype. That is why I defy strongly the steryotype that Texas is like that. Too many people here are non south western to paint the state with such a wide brush. The Texas Triangle and points East account for 20M people who do not live in South Western classified areas.

On point here. West Texas and West Oklahoma, yeh maybe more Southwestern with the dry brush and dust, etc. The landscape of the rest of these two states?....Nope. Derivative more of the South, certainly Houston. Can't believe people would be naive enough to call Houston the Southwest...kinda like a few Californians I've met calling Oklahoma MidWest. What???

All of Oklahoma (with the exception of Eastern OK)/North-Central Texas and on West I can see the Southwest tag a little bit more. Houston? Heck no, that's borderline Deep South.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 12-08-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,940,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Totally not true. Sure, all states have racism, but it's definitely more pronounced in some states over others...not all have areas that have major racism issues.
San Francisco is in reality one of the more racist cities in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.